Skip to main content

http://v.coachseye.com/Bz2M

Hello. I am posting a short clip of my son (who is 9) and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could analyze or critique.

I pitched on the college level and feel very comfortable speaking on the topic and coaching youth players as they advance. Hitting....well that is another story. To me it looks like his hands are getting away from his body, and I don't like the movement he has at the start of the swing.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by 7 year old father:
http://v.coachseye.com/Bz2M

Hello. I am posting a short clip of my son (who is 9) and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could analyze or critique.

I pitched on the college level and feel very comfortable speaking on the topic and coaching youth players as they advance. Hitting....well that is another story. To me it looks like his hands are getting away from his body, and I don't like the movement he has at the start of the swing.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

He has bat drag, that's the biggest issue right now. He needs to learn to coil.
Interesting.

I like the 9 y/o hand prep at start of swing.

Good fundamentals over all.

I would have him practice hitting a pitch that's
high in the strike zone. Maybe use an elevated tee to start.

I don't see a bat drag, as you state.

Not sure I would 'correct' his lead arm bar which may become an ailment to having his bat head much to low (lower than hands) for the high strike.

Maybe try filming him swinging a 32" 29 oz wood bat.

Keep us informed.
He's "barring" his lead (left) arm...

http://books.google.com/books?...0&ct=result#PPA65,M1

Had a player who was barring arm quite a bit a few years ago.

Bought this elbow-guard...

If you criss-cross the straps (top strap to bottom velcro, and bottom strap to top velcro - Forming an "X" on the front of the arm), it makes it very difficult to straighten the arm...

I had him hit less than 40 balls with it on, and he's never done it since.

I've used it with other kids as well, and it works everytime.

Try it, Good luck.

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,MW-CPCEP.html
Yes he does have bat drag and yes he is "barring" his arm. That is identifying the problem but the key to instruction is identifying what is causing bat drag and arm barring.

I do see this alot in young hitters as I instruct. If you look at the hands and wrist in the 5 second to the 6 second frame and then the 7 second frame you will notice the hitter changes his wrist position in his slot. In the 5 second frame you will see his upper hand knuckles, he has a good slot and looks great for a 9u hitter. As he goes to swing on the 6 second frame there is a slight change and then he begins to totally change his slot in the 7 second frame. At 7 seconds you will see the knuckles start to disappear as he drops his hands and wrist towards the canopy in the backround. On swing he is changing his wrist position and therefore changing his slot. Once his slot is changed in this manner he will go around the ball, because changing the slot in this case caused the arm bar which caused bat drag.
Last edited by shortnquick
quote:
Originally posted by shortnquick:
Yes he does have bat drag and yes he is "barring" his arm. That is identifying the problem but the key to instruction is identifying what is causing bat drag and arm barring.

I do see this alot in young hitters as I instruct. If you look at the hands and wrist in the 5 second to the 6 second frame and then the 7 second frame you will notice the hitter changes his wrist position in his slot. In the 5 second frame you will see his upper hand knuckles, he has a good slot and looks great for a 9u hitter. As he goes to swing on the 6 second frame there is a slight change and then he begins to totally change his slot in the 7 second frame. At 7 seconds you will see the knuckles start to disappear as he drops his hands and wrist towards the canopy in the backround. On swing he is changing his wrist position and therefore changing his slot. Once his slot is changed in this manner he will go around the ball, because changing the slot in this case caused the arm bar which caused bat drag.

Drag is universally bad. We both agree on that. Arm bar is only arm bar if the shoulder is pulling on the lead arm. And, if the arms have shoved the hands back. But I agree that his issue is drag.

How would I combat it? Teach him to use the hands properly.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.