Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
Surely this just means for the players to be in position and then begin warming up while the pitcher warms up....

I doubt it. Haven't received anything from any of my assigners yet, but I'll look into it.

The change to the obstruction rule will take some effort to become consistent conference to conference. I'm sure we'll hear a lot about it at the clinics.
Last edited by Jimmy03
90 seconds is more than enough time for the pitcher (who should be the first one out of the dugout) to warm up with 8 pitches. The problem is that you may not always have a warm up catcher available in the dug out, sometimes they are in the bull pen warning up guys. Then the catcher has to suit up.

However I don't see this as the only issue as to why college games go longer than they should. The metal bat creates longer innings as do umpires not loosening up their tight zones after a few long innings.

If you are going to work on the little things to control the game, you got to include every aspect.

JMO.
It can be done; the NBC national tourney in Wichita every year plays with a 90 second clock (and 20 second pitch clock also)... Pitchers who hit will be the biggest challenge... if they are out sliding into 2nd that 90 seconds will go very quickly...

coaches won't like it though because sometimes you are going to feel like you are being rushed...

what's the new obstruction rule Jimmy??
This has nothing to do with TV, which by the way slows up the game.

I agree baseball shouldn't be played on a clock, but I also think that when a team has to travel 2+ hours on a weekday night and your player gets to bed a few hours before class time, this is why these things are being implemented. Me personally, I would be more concerned about quality time spent in the classroom than the 90 seconds allowed.

We often complain that the NCAA forgets these are student athletes, not athlete students.

TS,
I wouldn't expect the majority to worry about the clock issue, why should they? If the game is running too late for them, all they have to do is get up and leave.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
what's the new obstruction rule Jimmy??

"Previously, any contact made between a fielder and runner could be called obstruction unless the fielder had possession of the ball. In the new proposal, a fielder that has established himself will be provided the opportunity to field the throw without penalty."

One assigner's interp is that the fielder fielding a throw will now be treated as a fielder fielding a batted ball. The point of umpire interp and the cause of future coach ejections, in my view, is "has established himself."

It sounds simple, but in the heat of a game, it will become "flexible" in the minds of some.
90 seconds is no big deal, if your pitcher gets his rear out there and makes the effort. Our high school has has a couple of fast-working pitchers that routinely would be ready to go in under 60 seconds. I know because I play the music and the program times the songs so the time elapsed shows every time.

As an umpire, I used to tell Little Leaguers they had 60 seconds and the inning was starting, to prevent the lolly-gaging around between innings often seen. They learn to keep their hat and glove together and know where they are. It does keep the game moving.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.