Skip to main content

Maybe a stupid question?

Generally, Juco is two years of eligibility. And, ideally, you come out of it with an associates degree.

But, what if you don't?

Say, after two years at Juco, you don't have enough credits for your associates?

Are you still able to transfer to a D1, D2 or D3 for your last two years of baseball and transfer whatever credits you have (and they will accept) and just finish at that school for a Bachelors?

I would think...yes. But don't know for sure.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@adbono posted:

To facilitate an easy transfer a JuCo player needs to have his Associates Degree. It’s possible to transfer w/o it but it’s much more difficult - and often results in all credits not transferring.

How is it more difficult? From an admissions standpoint at the new school? I would have thought that they would be happy to take your money for the next two years plus whatever to get enough credits to graduate.

@Francis7 posted:

How is it more difficult? From an admissions standpoint at the new school? I would have thought that they would be happy to take your money for the next two years plus whatever to get enough credits to graduate.

It’s more difficult in the sense that it’s more likely that all credits won’t transfer. Difficult may not be the proper word. It may be more accurate to say that a transfer will likely be less efficient if a player doesn’t have his Associates Degree.

During HS my son had a local hitting coach/mentor that threw great LH BP and went the juco route, he did his 2 years in a Texas juco and transferred to LA Tech. Not all his credits transferred and was not eligible his junior season (the season they made the CWS) - he's still regretful. It left an impression on my son, he did summer classes to ensure he had his AA before he transferred from juco to Arkansas. Maybe all your credits will transfer, but maybe not...

Last edited by JucoDad

It would be nice if @Rick at Informed Athlete would chime in (we're keeping him busy recently), but from what I see, whether or not you have the Associates will make a difference on whether you can play immediately and receive athletic scholarship money.  NCSA's site has some clear info, don't know how reliable it is:

https://www.athleticscholarshi...ege-transfer-2-4.htm

The NCAA's impenetrable document is here:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligib...fer/TwoYearGuide.pdf

If a JUCO transfer wants to be eligible to compete and receive an athletic scholarship (and in some cases even practice) in their first year at an NCAA program, there are certain academic requirements that they must satisfy while attending the JUCO.  This is also true for a 4-2-4 transfer.  In most cases, it takes more than just the completion of an Associates Degree to be eligible upon transfer to the four-year university.

Those requirements can differ depending upon a number of factors, such as: whether the athlete was an NCAA Qualifier based on their HS academic record, the Division they're transferring to, the number of semesters they've been enrolled at the JUCO, etc.   

These are the types of situations where our confidential consultations can be very helpful to explain to athletes and families just what those requirements are based on their particular situation.

https://informedathlete.com/se...lity-issues-consult/

Not to be overlooked, but if you graduate juco with an associates and good gpa it opens the door for academic scholarships.

Have asked this question elsewhere but if someone can provide more details on post JUCO academic scholarships I would appreciate it. Anyone have a player who went the JUCO route and got academic money with athletic going D1. What kind of GPA is required? Does the player need SAT or ACT test scores? etc.

Not a JUCO, but my son transferred after 2 years at a 4 year school to another 4 year school. His current school just cared about his GPA not his previous SAT scores. He did get academic money coming in. You can usually find on the school's website what scholarships are available and what the criteria is. I know at my son's school they have scholarships for kids coming form the nearby JUCOs. I think that's what they ended up giving him, because I didn't see any transfer scholarships.

As far as credits go, there was never a discussion of if he earned an associate's degree from his previous school. He was fortunate to have all his credits transfer (finance degree), but had to go back and forth several times with his advisor. In our experience it seems like privates have a lot more leeway with money and credit transfers.

@Bob Shelton posted:

Not to be overlooked, but if you graduate juco with an associates and good gpa it opens the door for academic scholarships.

Have asked this question elsewhere but if someone can provide more details on post JUCO academic scholarships I would appreciate it. Anyone have a player who went the JUCO route and got academic money with athletic going D1. What kind of GPA is required? Does the player need SAT or ACT test scores? etc.

My son played 2 years of JuCo and was an Academic All American both years. His GPA in JuCo was somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8.  He qualified for a couple of academic scholarships when he transferred to the 4 year school that he chose.  The transfer process was complicated by the plandemic but he was eligible for academic money at all the D1 & D2 schools that recruited him.

@Francis7 posted:

FWIW, years ago I heard a story - and I stress story because I don't know if it is true - about a HS kid who got his offer pulled close to signing day and the college coach REPORTEDLY said "Sorry...we're using your money on two Juco kids who can help our program right now as starters."

This is common practice right now in many programs. You can substitute “players in the transfer portal” for “Juco kids” as well and it still holds true. Times are tough for HS classes of ‘23 & ‘24.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.