Skip to main content

FYI ... I shared this with just about state legion commissioners in the United States that I could find an e-mail address on the Nat'l legion website.

I also shared this will all the VA Legion coaches whom the majority are in favor of this idea that I shared back during the 1st week of September.

Proposal to increase American Legion Roster to 20 or 22 men and money raised could “prepay” the Regional and World Series tournaments

My proposal to Nat'l Headquarters 2yrs ago ... as National Headquarters stated, could not ADD any more kids to roster ... they are already $500k or $600k in the RED ... I replied ... OK ... I have solution :

Based on 2006 registered teams = 5,074 teams $5per player = $100 or $110 per team and would generate $507,400 for 20 man roster OR $558,140 for 22 man roster

Now ... $10 per kids for Nat'l Kitty Fund ... $200 per team or $220 ... at $10 per player ... that would generate $1,014,800 million for 20 man roster OR $1,116,280 million for 22 man roster ... boys ... I think I have just gotten Nat'l Legion Headquarters out of the RED and into the BLACK.

Does anyone agree ?

Seriously ... If Nat'l Headquarters does NOT expand ROSTER to 20 or 22 men ... Legion ball is going to continue to lose to "travel" ball.

Again, this money would go into Nat'l Kitty fund for the Reg'l and World Series Funds and really ... this could AID the Reg'l host teams, do u agree or not ?

$15,000 x 8 Reg’ls @ $120k ... NO more bidding and local areas could garner ALL the proceeds from "hosting" vs. paying the bid fee

If this method is pursued by Nat'l ... then it will only attract more players back into legion baseball !

Again ... only talking $100 or $110 for 20 man roster ... OR $200 or $220 for 22 man roster PER TEAM, that's not much at all.

Even the WORLD SERIES could be “pre-paid” with this Nat’l Kitty Fund and then the LOCAL HOSTS could harvest ALL of the benefits of HOSTING.

If you like this “proposal”, then forward this onto your “State Chairman” stating you support of this idea.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jeff Milburn
Winchester, VA
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:07 AM
To: 'JEFF MILBURN'
Cc: ***********
Subject: RE: Nat'l Proposal to increase Rosters to 20 OR 22 men

Jeff,

I completely agree with the proposal to expand the Legion Rosters to include more players. But not for the monetary reason alone. I left the coaching ranks of Legion ball many years ago in frustration over the following points.

Quality of play should always supersede the quantity of play. The minimum roster always left teams searching, specifically for pitchers at the end of the week. As a professional pitching instructor I was concerned with the overuse of tired arms in the summer, especially with the lack of a time commitment made by both players and coaches to in-season (summer) conditioning. Further the volleyball approach of “rotate to serve” style of pitching rotation late in the week reduced the competitive level of play, to not much more than a HS gym class. Not to mention serious damage to position players arms who are not conditioned for that endurance throwing. Teams should also expect a number of players to miss some games due to college visits and valid collegiate exposure camps (which in the past Legion failed to do).

The abundance of travel teams are also placing a serious financial burden and family fatigue on both the players and their parents. Many are merely “sold” a uniform. Many of those players are unnecessarily delusional about their competitive ability to play college baseball at any level. When in reality there are so many more potential student athletes prepared to compete at the college level. But it has become a task similar to herding cats. I’m sure that most all of the college coaches listed in this email, are equally exhausted from the diluted array of the ever expanding recruiting tournaments.

I realize that Legion programs have different challenges in various locations. The reduction in the sponsoring American Legion Posts and their aging membership is also a contributing factor.

In northern Virginia quality coaching will always pursue quality program management. Frustrations of political or inept program management are significant reasons for the creation of independent teams. The lack of quality Legion teams, have in the past forced college recruiters to follow the talent to other competitions. Your alternative is very timely.

Coaching a team should not be a right of passage or given the most available volunteer. It should be earned on the basis on teaching ability - not monitoring ability. Quality is not always convenient and often disturbs the status quo. The Legion program, as you have noted, must make changes in their programming to accommodate current athletic realties or stagnate as many national programs recently have. In any case, Legion programs must re-evaluate their competitive mission and clearly and consistently communicate whatever they decide to the public.

John

John Pinkman
President

Pinkman Baseball Academies
www.PinkmanBaseball.com
703.440.8824 Springfield
703.661.8586 Dulles

Last edited by MILBY
Coach,

Another thing that needs to be addressed is the addition of players after the form 1 deadline.

The only two reasons you can replace a player is for death or active duty.

While I completely understand this and agree with the philosophy, it is a major flaw in the system and causes yet another loss of good coaches and players to more "open" select, travel, and showcase teams.

Case in point we lost two players the week the form
1's went in. Both to season ending injuries...The first needed major labrum surgery, the second has to have minor surgery on his elbow.

One was our top pitcher, the other our top catcher. Both led our team in all batting categories....

There should be some further exemption for "catostrophic injuries" not to allow teams to load up but help in these situations.

Why not allow at least one or two injury exemptions that the state could "approve" with required notice from doctors, etc...

This, along with expanded rosters, could take some of the pressure off of some of the coaches and kids...
FYI ... to ALL coaches and ALB officials from each respective state.

In order for rules changes in ALB to take place, it’s the coaches and/or the district officials that must submit rules changes to your respective State Chairman who is suppose to take those proposed changes to the annual National Convention and the 51 State Chairman will review and vote on.

That is the “chain of command”, any other avenues of trying to makes changes will not be heard by these folks.

Unfortunately, the Nat’l Headquarter guy who is just one fulltime person (Jim Quinlan) who has a PT secretary who CANNOT do anything unless it comes thru the STATE chairmen at the Nat’l convention.

For coaches that submit rule changes to their respective state chairman, might not be a bad idea to CC the Nat'l program coordinator as well to ensure Nat'l is aware of rule changes being submitted for consideration.

In closing, IF any changes are going to take place with ALB, it must come from the Coaches who must submit the rule changes to their state chairman for consideration at the Nat'l annual convention.
Last edited by MILBY
Another possible funding solution would be to increase the annual dues that legion members pay by one dollar. This, in addition to a small payment per team, would likely achieve the desired level of funding for regional and world series tournaments.

I agree completely with expanding the roster size. In South Carolina we are able to carry 20 players but have to be down to 18 for the state playoffs. The tournament play is where you really need the extra pitching, so why not keep it at 20 (or better yet, 22) for the entire season?

Another change I'd like to see is exclusive use of wood bats. In some cases you have teams of college Freshmen playing on smaller HS fields and you end up with homerun derby - especially as you start to deplete the pitching rotation of an 18-man roster late in the week. This would also help solve some of the pitching depth problems associated with a heavy summer schedule of 9-inning games.
quote:
Originally posted by VS:
Another possible funding solution would be to increase the annual dues that legion members pay by one dollar. This, in addition to a small payment per team, would likely achieve the desired level of funding for regional and world series tournaments.

I agree completely with expanding the roster size. In South Carolina we are able to carry 20 players but have to be down to 18 for the state playoffs. The tournament play is where you really need the extra pitching, so why not keep it at 20 (or better yet, 22) for the entire season?

Another change I'd like to see is exclusive use of wood bats. In some cases you have teams of college Freshmen playing on smaller HS fields and you end up with homerun derby - especially as you start to deplete the pitching rotation of an 18-man roster late in the week. This would also help solve some of the pitching depth problems associated with a heavy summer schedule of 9-inning games.

Sounds like the folks down south in SC are ahead of the game.

What will it take for National to increase the roster size?

I like the idea of $1 increase for membership to go directly into baseball.
FYI ... my last attempt to get the state chairmen to consider expanding the roster.

If you agree, then contact your respective state chairman.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Subject: RE: American Legion Baseball
To: State ALB Chairmen

Dear ALB State Chairmen,

My name is Jeff Milburn and I reside within the commonwealth of VA in Winchester. I am both, a former player and coach of ALB and I am very supportive of ALB but I am not an individual with any authority within ALB as I have always made that known.

First, I want to thank each of you for giving your time to be state chairmen within your respective state. Also, the permanent site of the World Series was an outstanding location to be chosen as the eighty-six thousand fans who paid to watch it, supported that decision.

For my main interests in writing each of you is to reconsider expanding the rosters to allow more young men to have the opportunity to be part of a prestigious baseball program.

To close, I ask each of you to keep an open mind and ponder these following questions over the next several months and seek input from your respective coaches within your state.

- Would you like to see more young men participate in ALB?

- If ALB follows MLB American League baseball rules, then should ALB follow their rule for the roster size?

Respectfully shared,
Jeff Milburn
Last edited by TCWPreps
quote:
Originally posted by VS:

PA has approved wood bats exclusively for 2013 and beyond!
Please spread the word, there will be a Coaches survey coming real soon as it will be sent to every STATE chairman to distribute out to his respective district chairman who in return will FWD onto the respective coaches.

Once this ONLINE ALB COACHES SURVEY is finalized, it will posted on here as it will take nearly anyone associated with ALB to get this online survey FWD onto their respective coaching staffs.

There are approx 5,000 teams and the goal would be to get everyone to take such survey BUT if we can get at least 3/4 of those organizations to take the survey, then one would think that information would a strong indication of what the coaches perspectives are for how the rules should be written.

Stay tuned!
quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Subject: re: ALB Coaches survey on the rule changes for 2012
To: State Chairmen

Dear State ALB Chairmen,

I was contacted by several individuals to compile this survey in the link below.

Please forward this survey onto ALL American Legion baseball district chairman within your respective state and ask them to FWD onto their respective ALB coaches via e-mail, facebook, twitter and any other means to get this survey out in front of all, if not the majority of American Legion Baseball team mangers, coaches and district chairman across the country and any other individuals who need to take such survey.

ALB Coaches survey on the rule changes for 2012
(click above to take the survey)

The goal is to have this survey completed by February 29, 2012 at which time I will review the amount of responses to see if there is more than the majority that has participated. If so, then I will share such information with all of the state chairman along with the National program coordinator, Jim Quinlan. Hopefully the information obtained will speak loudly and others will take notice of what the coaches believes needs to be changed that will give ALB the best opportunity to keep competing at its prestigious level.

Once the survey is completed, the information will be broken down to each respective state and distributed along with the entire survey summary of responses back to each of you for your review.

To close, the only thing that is taking place here is just vital information is being collected and it will be up Mr. Jim Quinlan and the sub-committee to decide what do with such information obtained.

Respectfully shared,
Jeff Milburn
Winchester, VA

To all American Legion Team mgrs, Coaches, assistant coaches, district official and any other ALB reps across the country that need to be informed about this survey ... please take this survey and share with your respective ALB contacts via e-mail, facebook, twitter and any other means.
Last edited by TCWPreps
I agree ... they are eliminating 19yr olds coming 2015. Not sure WHY they are waiting for 2015 though?

quote:
As it stands now, students returning home after completing their freshman year in college are eligible to play Legion Baseball. But come 2015, that will all change - American Legion Baseball will become a junior-high and high-school age program.
Participants in all other American Legion youth programs, such as Boys State/Boys Nation, Shooting Sports and the Oratorical Contest, are limited to those attending high school. Thus, in effort to create uniformity amongst Legion youth programs, the National Executive Committee of The American Legion passed Resolution 46, restricting Legion Baseball player eligibility to junior high and high school students.
As foreseen by the NEC, the restriction will allow more high school athletes the opportunity to play Legion ball, because it will free up the limited number of places on team rosters, which are currently held by college-eligible players. The restriction to high school students will also help increase college coaches and scouts attendance at games and interest in players, allowing the young men a chance to display their skills and talents.
Doing away with 19 year olds in American Legion. Not sure who you are hurting the most. The Legion itself or the 19 year olds who are not playing college ball yet still trying to get a chance to get looked at. They are the ones who need somewhere to play,not alot of options for that group.The high schools players are playing for Showcase teams. They enter and play in the Showcase tournements where the college coaches can watch a player or players play 2,3 or even 4 times a weekend. Now to watch Legion players they have travel near and far watch the player play 1 game hope he has a good showing. More weekend 3 ways and doubleheaders might help. Or maybe a Senior League for maybe 23 and under. Give college players a place to play in the summer. Charge admission. You know some of those college players have to travel and live away from home during the summer just to play Baseball. Junior league 18 and under and find a way to compete with the showcase teams. You have make it easy for the college coaches.
In addition to changing the age, I think ALB is going to have to expand the school population if Legion wants to compete with showcase teams.

In a lot of states throughout the country, there are to many high schools with watered down teams. Legion teams are handcuffed sometimes by what type of players they can add because they can not add another school to their team. I would hope that this is something that gets looked at ASAP.

Finally ... Headquarters is reaching out to the coaches and administrators for their input to make ALB better.

The American Legion Baseball

Earlier this year at the Spring Meetings, your Americanism Commission requested staff to conduct a survey of department baseball program directors/chairmen, team managers, coaches and other pertinent program participants to gather data and information for the betterment of The American Legion Baseball Program.

I encourage you to take the survey. It should only take ten to fifteen minutes to complete.

On behalf of the Americanism Commission I want to thank you for your involvement and support of American Legion Baseball and your time in completing the survey.

Survey will close August 30, 2013.

For God and Country,

Joseph E. Caouette
Chairman, Americanism Commission

Joseph E. Caouette

Joseph E. Caouette

The American Legion

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.