Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would contact the nearest American Legion post that fields a team. 

As I understand it, this year (2014) is the last year a college student can play legion ball, but I believe the student had to have played legion ball the summer before.  I'm not exactly sure about this though.  I think that's what I heard last year.  My son played legion ball for the past 4 years - last summer was his last year - he just completed his 2nd year of college so he is too old (20) this year.

Beginning 2015, legion (Sr) is 18 and under.

From the American Legion website:

Rule 2.B.4. "2013 Graduated Students" – Players that graduated high school in 2013 shall play for the American Legion team they played for during the 2013 season. Players shall not be eligible for transfer and their name must appear on a 2013 Legion team roster.

Last edited by FoxDad

Foxdad,

Any mention of birthday cutoff on the site?  My 2013 middle son played Legion last year.  I was an asst coach.  At the end of the season, our head coach told several 2013 kids they were not eligible to play Legion in 2014, and told a couple 2013s they were eligible on his team.  So, I have to believe there is a cutoff. 

PS...I didn't pay much attention to it as my son had a full time summer job already lined up..

Fenway -

I didn't see a date cut off, but there is a chart here:

http://www.legion.org/document...seball_age_chart.pdf

It indicates those born in 1995 and 1996 must play senior legion and those born in 1994 and earlier are no longer eligible. Those born in 1997-2001 can play either junior or senior legion. 

I really don't remember a date cut off, but I guess it's possible there is.

Originally Posted by FoxDad:

I would contact the nearest American Legion post that fields a team. 

As I understand it, this year (2014) is the last year a college student can play legion ball, but I believe the student had to have played legion ball the summer before.  I'm not exactly sure about this though.  I think that's what I heard last year.  My son played legion ball for the past 4 years - last summer was his last year - he just completed his 2nd year of college so he is too old (20) this year.

Beginning 2015, legion (Sr) is 18 and under.

From the American Legion website:

Rule 2.B.4. "2013 Graduated Students" – Players that graduated high school in 2013 shall play for the American Legion team they played for during the 2013 season. Players shall not be eligible for transfer and their name must appear on a 2013 Legion team roster.

The rule that would not allow college players of age to return after 2014 has been rescinded. Vote took place in May. So, in 2015, college freshman with a 1996 birthday will be eligibile. Just like it has been.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.