Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, there are many people who forget that for about seven years, he was right there producing just as much as Mickey and Willie with five consecutive 40 HR seasons and batting averages of .321, .336, and .341.
His career went quickly downhill on the move to the massive LA Coliseum where the football field was configured to take a 440 foot drive in the right field power alley to get an Hr, just killing his lefthanded pull power. He dropped from 40 HRs to just 15 at age 31 and never hit over 23 again, even after the move to Chavez Ravine. But he did enough during his prime to merit Hall of Fame selection. He was helped somewhat by the cozy Ebbets Field and being the only lefthanded hitter of all those great Brooklyn Boys of Summer. RIP Duke.
Duke Snider will be missed. He retired and raised his family in a small town that I grew up in for the majority of my youth. He was a very gracious superstar, and never sought out attention. In fact, last year I purchased a signed Duke Snider baseball at my son's silent auction for a ridiculous low amount...Why so cheap? He just never really looked for that "Superstar" notoriety, he was happy in his quiet retirement...and because of that, the average fan didn't realize what a great player Duke Snider was in his prime!
Last edited by bsbl247
My favorite Duke Snider story that i heard on an interview late night many years ago. Some guy was in the Navy with Duke but in the Navy he was just Edwin Snider. Well Duke's buddies on ship would get the newbies and bet them that they knew a guy that throw a baseball from end to end of a submarine.
The newbies would say, "that's over 300 feet, there's no way" and the betting would begin.
Well, Duke and his friends doubled their pay anytime they were docked.... He did say a few of 'em got pretty mad when they found out that was Duke Snider, not Edwin Snider!

Thanks for posting the notification Jimmy.... "we knew 'em all from Boston to Debuque"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.