Skip to main content

My son (2007) has been contacted or in contact with coaches from several schools. All contacts with big schools were initiated by him using the sample letters from this website. A couple of small schools and jucos have contacted him on their own. He is not a 5 star player or anything really special baseball wise and a little undersized by my account (5'10" up from 5'9" when he sent the contact letters), he is a little better than average high school LHP with very good academic credentials. The coaches have either sent an application or after meeting with him sent him to the recruiter for our area, where they asked him to complete an application. Some but not all of these applications are without a charge. My son is trying to keep his options open and doesn't really want to apply to a bunch of schools and I really don't see the point either. What are the pros and cons of completing or not completing 20+ applications? We are pretty sure he will be accepted at most if not all schools wanting the applications completed, (he has been recruited academically by several top schools). He is holding out to try and find a place to play baseball but I don't want to lose out on the academic money on the table. Any advice from you old timers? Let me add most schools want the applications in by December 2006, which is causing the problem for me.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

justbaseball thanks,
The problem is he will let baseball trump the academics and wants to hold out until the very last minute to find the right baseball school. He has said he will go to a juco if necessary to play. I don't have a problem with that except for it seems he would waste some real opportunities at top notch schools. I know you guys don't really care about my problems but I can't imagine I'm the only member of this board with this issue. Raising kids is hard work.
Only because you asked...

If you son is a high-level student and may a not-so-high-level baseball player, match him with the schools that meet his academic needs. 20 is a lot of $60 application fees, but that's up to you. Get the foundation set for a bright academic future, then begin to think about how baseball fits. The JUCO thought is very strange to me, especially since you said he's not a five-star, which I read as not a draft prospect. Good luck.
quote:
Originally posted by dad4boys:
Raising kids is hard work.

Whew! Tell me about it.

Your question is a good one and don't worry about asking it. Thats what this site is all about.

The advice around this question that is given here time-and-again is to choose schools that your son would be happy attending if baseball was not in the equation. Your son may not see it that way now, but remember he is only 16/17 years old and probably doesn't see the big picture very well yet...that is if he's a normal kid. Roll Eyes

Do your parenting thing and get him to see the pros and cons of his thinking on this. You sound like a good guy and you need to guide him as much as he will let you. In the end, it IS his choice and you will support him...but help him to consider things he may not have thought about yet. But again, nearly any school that will want him to play baseball will allow him to apply at that time...hopefully for free.

Good luck! Your question is being asked in a lot of households this summer. Keep asking more. Wink
I read your question over a few times.

I am thinking the schools considering your son have plans to offer academic scholarship over baseball scholarship?
Academics should always come first

I would fill out any apps that you do not have to send money, and possibly choose a few you might consider if he does not get into baseball. You have until Dec to do this. Academic money is available, while baseball money is not always.

I also wouldn't hesitate to ask any of them why, if he is being considered as an early sign, would you have to fill out applications (unless they have expalined that already).

For students with higher GPA's, I don't see JUCO as an alternative, unless he is drafted.

JMO
Many schools will waive the application fee if you can get their baseball coach or athletic director involved. Because your son has good academic credentials, he might even be able to be accepted to a school by merely sending a transcript and avoiding the application process altogether --- however, grades have to be good, SATs high, etc.

But as others have mentioned, first target specific schools and get on the phone with those schools' baseball coach and/or AD. If there's significant interest in your son's ability to play for the team, they may be able to waive some of the fees (esp. smaller schools ... don't try this with Arizona State, for example!)
I do beleive the fee cannot be waived, it has to be paid by someone, but is generally submitted to the athletic department for payment, depending on school's policy or you may be reimbursed directly, if you paid.
You may never see a bill that's why you think it is waived.

Athletic departments at many schools have monies for these purposes, but allocate them according to rules and regulations.
Sounds like your son's chances of getting academic money are very good, and I can tell you from experience that money is often better at the smallish DIIIs, even though the "ticket price" appears higher on the front end. As you said, many schools offer free applications to kids with high scores/GPAs. Take advantage of those that do so and apply, apply, apply. There's no harm in doing so. He'll get weary after the first half dozen or so, but it's good practice!

What you will find is that schools that have high academic standards will be looking for players exactly like your son. My son was recruited by the highest ranked engineering school in the country, a small DIII. (For comparison purposes, he was #2 in his class, 4.5 GPA, 33 on his ACTs.) As the coach told us "I can't go to a hs coach and say 'show my your best shortstop'. I have to say 'show me your top students who can also play ball'". So find a school where he will be able to compete academically, and the rest will fall into place. As another poster said, choose a school where you will still be content should baseball ever be taken out of the picture.
I'm not 100% certain on the NCAA's stance on the fee waiver, but I know there are ways around it. For example, if a student qualifies for financial aid, there is a good chance the application fee can be waived. Also, you can apply but not pay the fee until after you are accepted by the school --- it gets you out of having to dish out for 20+ app fees.

Finally, there is the NAIA, which has a number of good schools (baseball and academic - wise).

Speak to your son's guidance / college counselor about these possibilities to get the most updated (and correct) info.
I take it you are talking about early admission, where you have to pay by December. If it is a significant amount of money to take early admission vs regular admission, I see your dilemma.

Otherwise I would have him apply to his top 2 choices academically. They will want a housing deposit early spring of a couple hundred, if you
can swing it, you could pay it to his top choice, understanding it is non refundable, but is your "insurance".

If he finds a JUCO he is comfortable with, I say go for it! He could play for a year or two and then transfer to the Big U. There are all sorts of JUCO's, some very competive academically and athletically, some pricey, some very inexpensive.

Depending on his interest and intended major, he could get his basic's out of the way, English, Math, Science etc. You may find many of the Juco's use the same books as Large Universities, but you will have smaller class size and more accessable professors at a Juco.

Call the admissions office and ask the percentage of students who go on to 4 year schools, ask for the names of some of those schools. Ask at the school he thinks he would like to go to the percentage of juco transfers, and from the ones you may have in mind.

Lots to think about.... oh I remember the days!!! Good Luck!
Hmmm, 02^04 brings up a good point. Hadn't thought of that.

My son signed his NLI in the fall and his acceptance came in the spring.

I am just not sure why they want early decision, this could get you into something that would cost money to get out of.

I would not hesitate to ask questions as to the whys of all of this. If you do not want to go to the coaches, you can go through the admissions office.

I think before a good student decides to attend a JUCO for baseball purposes, they should fully understand that upon transfering, what might occur. Many players at sons school who transfered from JUCO's used up their eligibility before they earned their degree. I am sure it could have been done, but due to the semesters at CU, it is quite hard to attend maymester (due to post season), summer sessions (due to desire to play in summer).
Therefore these transfers, especially those who were not drafted still have school to complete, and most likely not at Clemson, no scholarship.
I think it is wise for players, when considering JUCO, exactly what the purpose is for.
TPM,
You bring up a good point in that many athletes don't finish in 4 years... transfers or not.

Most schools I am familiar with require the last 30+ hours earned for a degree, be done on that campus. So not like they can just leave Outofstate/private University for their home state U and finish a semester and graduate.

I had 2 go the Juco route. 1st son, 4.1 top 15%, graduated with high honors etc. Was recruited by many mid to lower level D1's, a few
D2's and 1 Juco, Young Harris, which while the classes were far harder than he imagined, he felt he learned alot there, and having gone 5-1 pitching his freshman season, decided to go back 1 more year before going on to a large University. Things happened and he decided he had to leave, but wanted to try and continue to play, he picked a small D1, but great academic school in UNCA, was one of his choices if no baseball, but was able to be on the team. He still has 12 hours to graduate, but that was more of a problem of transfering mid year and being out of sequence in classes. Every hour transfered, but needed 2 sems of spanish... only took 1, and 2 other all University requirements. "why do I have to take that junk"... to graduate my love.

2nd son, went to next county over CC (because they had baseball), 30 min drive each way each day for him. Hardly played in HS, not the best student, but had a 2.8 taking non honors classes. Even tho he hardly played in HS baseball, that is what he wanted to do, or go to work. It worked great for him as he pitched a good deal, kept his grades up, and is going to a four year College to play ball this fall.
He has hours that will not transfer, but did take college hours in HS and summers that will transfer to help him along.

Each individual family has to make their own decisions. It can be stressful, so again - Good Luck!
02^04,
Thanks. Agreed every decision should be a personal one.

I just wanted folks to be aware that in JUCO transfer (or any trasfer)you can get burned. After transfer redshirt is not usually an option. Then all of a sudden you are done with baseball, but not school.
Just some thoughts.
Last edited by TPM
dad4boys - If he does end up deciding on JUCO - you live amongst JUCO heaven IMO! Alabama and TN have some wonderful JUCO opportunities!

As has been said, many schools have free apps - especially on line. My son who attended JUCO for one year applied once again to several schools in May and I believe only paid a fee at one - maybe two. The others all sent him free applications or were free on line.

Also, he doesn't have to apply to every school unless it's a highly prestigous institution - he can apply after December and be fine. I agree with JustBB - if there's one he's really big on regardless of baseball, then pay the fee (if there is one) and have him apply now to be safe.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.