Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Other than the NCSA folks being there to try and get you to sign-up, it's absolutely free.  Just fill out the application, then wait to see if your player is accepted.  EXCELLENT instruction/guidance, free published testing "measurables" (60 time, shuttle time, grip strength, bat exit speed, etc.), and oh yeah:  Lots of gear for the players who get to go to the camp.

I would echo what GHHS said above about NCSA folks. Son came running back to me as they were signing up and said he needed $20,$30,$50. I don't remember amount. Turns out it was for NCSA fee which we really did not need so discuss that with your son before you go to determine if he needs NCSA or not.

I didn't know what the $$$ was for so I gave it to my son instead of causing more anxiety for him at this event by questioning him as to what it was for OR even worse, walking back up to signup table with him!

I just answered a dialogue on NCSA, so I thought I'd clarify.  NCSA is a very good national service.  In fact, it's probably one of, if not THE biggest (right up there with Field Level).

For the record, we didn't use them and all I can relay is what other friends/families have said.  They got a lot of invites and referrals based on their NCSA profile, but we got just as many doing it ourselves.  We just had to spend a LOT of our own time and effort to make it happen.

If you don't have the time/inclination/technical competence to make the contacts/videos/profiles, NCSA (or any other reputable organization) may be the answer.  As with any good service, be prepared to pay for that experience/convenience.

Your call, but if you've already been thru this with another player you probably already know the drill.  Recruiting is very similar for both softball and baseball, with one exception being more girls are recruited earlier (although baseball seems to be gaining in that area).

Have a plan, do your research set realistic goals, and work hard to make it happen (a bit of advice for both you and your son).  There are many, MANY message threads and articles on this very site to help you if you want to do it yourself.  It if just too much hassle, hire a service.

Either way, best of luck to your and yours.

Originally Posted by howdybaseball:

What are the advantages to attending this camp? Is this truly based on better talent since website says that we need to have a scout's recommendation? Does the camp present better future opportunities?

I don't think there are any guarantees in life or in baseball, this camp included.

The advantages I see are for you player to have fun playing the game he enjoys, maybe get better, and have something to add to his "resume".

Originally Posted by CmassRHPDad:

What are the advantages to attending this camp? Is this truly based on better talent since website says that we need to have a scout's recommendation? Does the camp present better future opportunities?

I don't think there are any guarantees in life or in baseball, this camp included.

The advantages I see are for you player to have fun playing the game he enjoys, maybe get better, and have something to add to his "resume".

Advantage #1:  It's free

Advantage #2:  It's definitely not a "cream puff" camp

Advantage #3:  Players get about $300+ worth of gear

Advantage #4:  Everything could be considered "political", but you won't see a player there that doesn't deserve to be there.  Scouts that refer inferior players don't get to be scouts for very long.

Advantage #5:  Did I mention it's free?

I will say this:  The AC camp (at least last year) was more centered towards position players.  GHHS jr went as a 1B (he was done throwing for the year) and really enjoyed it.  I highly recommend going if your son is selected.

Originally Posted by GHHS-2016LHP:
Originally Posted by CmassRHPDad:

Advantage #1:  It's free

Advantage #2:  It's definitely not a "cream puff" camp

Advantage #3:  Players get about $300+ worth of gear

Advantage #4:  Everything could be considered "political", but you won't see a player there that doesn't deserve to be there.  Scouts that refer inferior players don't get to be scouts for very long.

Advantage #5:  Did I mention it's free?

I will say this:  The AC camp (at least last year) was more centered towards position players.  GHHS jr went as a 1B (he was done throwing for the year) and really enjoyed it.  I highly recommend going if your son is selected.

Congratulations.

Definitely go, for all the above reasons.

Our observations:

There were a few borderline players at these events son went to,

perhaps from host facility

or they tried too hard to look good next to other players doing well that day

or had off days which can happen to anyone.

Overall very good players/athletes. Some excellent, fun to watch.

Like anything else perhaps 1/4 or so of each of the groups we saw (players divided into groups) really excelled and stood out. 

It is like a showcase, and with group instruction and plus some NFL combine type stuff also, measuring many skills where you can measure yourself nationally..

If you do well, expect some MLB questionnaires the next few weeks,

and there are other events area scouts run in the winter as well he may get invited to where you work with the scouts.

Son enjoyed them.

son was also offered invites to play some events (for free) soon after for very good teams.

A lot of good thing may follow.

Am sure with all the dads/moms of top players on this site,

other people's sons had more than above.

PS - we learned the free things your son gets invited to,

especially by a pro scout tend to be good-great events.

PS/side note - Son ran faster 60's at AC tryouts and camps than at any other events/camps/showcases he went to the last few years,

thinking the MLB scouts in uniform there were an incentive.

Originally Posted by roothog66:

I'm a little confused that anyone would even question an invitation to the AC camp. You get it, you go.

In the middle of winter here, one of the local academies hosted an Area Code "Camp." This was not an "invite" event and drew a majority of non-invite participants.  

I think there might be some nomenclature confusion here:

This camp was not the Area Code Tryouts.

There was no free gear.

Most if not all of the attendees were NOT invite to AC tryouts in June.

In fact, most of the are invites from our area were based on area scout work during high school season. And at least three invites this year were based on MLB family legacy/nepotism.

I absolutely was going to take my son - no question about it. My questions were to gauge what the difference between a camp invite vs. games invite were and how potential opportunities at the camp differed from the games - I understand that the games are at a very high level. I am happy that he did get the invitation to attend the camp and look at it as a great opportunity for him and he will come away being a better player regardless of where this takes him. For these opportunities, both he and I are truly thankful!

I realized I never followed up on this and I just wanted to share my experience.

I was clearly skeptical when I first learned about the opportunity. Must be the New Englander in me. Ain't nothing in this world free.

My son attended the Area Code Training Camp in Boston and had a great time.

Although it is billed as a baseball camp, there was no baseball skills drilling.

It was more like a baseball athletic combine. They put the kids through a pro style workout, gave them a bunch of nice New Balance gear, and measured and published their numbers.

Although he was not thrilled abt how tough the workout was, he was excited to receive the gear, learn where he stacks up against other prospects, and discover areas where he needs to improve physically.

I would definitely recommend this to a kid who thinks he has what it takes to play at the next level.

http://www.studentsports.com/b...code-training-camps/

Last edited by CmassRHPDad
My son was invited to the Midwest camp in Wisconsin , few weeks back , didn't know what to expect but I had heard it was a must if you think your kid will play at the next level !
It's a Baseball combine ! They never picked up a ball or bat , they just measured them in the 60 yard ,shuttle , powerball, vertical hops , and lots of focus on nutrition , my son liked it plus got outfitted in all New balance gear , about $300 worth , they didn't up sell anything , no one contacted about buying anything , very well ran event , my son happen to have the 2nd best shuttle time out of 122 kids there . But other than that , it was very nice to see how the future will look like , with everyone is stacked up !

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.