Skip to main content

Go44dad posted:
Bolts-Coach-PR posted:
TPM posted:

They have to hire someone that recruits from that area. Thinking OSU coach would be good, but some how not too many really interested.

That's gotta mean Ohio State University's or Oregon State University's coach... 

I just assumed TPM meant the one in the College World Series.

Well that's just CRAZY talk... LOL!!!

fenwaysouth posted:

The fact that we are discussing this during the College World Series makes this all the more interesting to me.  Texas is a program looking for a second career.  Over the last few years, they have been out recruited by Texas Tech, Texas A&M, TCU, Rice, Sam Houston State and the Univ of Houston.  Should we add Baylor to that list too?  Those are just the D1 programs I'm thinking of off the top of my head.  Think of all those talented Texas recruits going to someplace other than Burnt Orange....it is mind numbing. 

I agree with TPM, they have to recruit someone with strong local ties to win these recruits back.  But I also think that person has to have a national presence to get top national recruits that add something to the program.  This is not going to be easy.  In some ways replacing Augie Garrido is going to be extremely difficult, and in other ways I think it is going to be rather easy.  They need someone with turnaround skills.  One strategy could be to bring in the turnaround HC to hand it off to someone with a bigger HC profile that could get them back to CWS.  Just a thought or two on the topic.

Enjoy the CWS today and Happy Fathers' day to all the Dads out there!

I agree. I think Texas has suffered in football as well relative to some of those other schools, especially A&M.  A&M's move to the SEC has taken them from a top-30 program in 1 or 2 sports to top-10 in 3 sports.  And it has had a big negative impact on UT for recruits.

UT has a lot of arrogance relative to their neighbors.  Oklahoma is starting to drop hints about heading to the Big10 or SEC...or Pac12.  The Big12 is overly-beholden to Texas especially in football due in part to the Longhorn Network and to their status as the flagship university in a big state - and LHN is a big $$-maker that can't seem to be broken.

However...the Big12 currently looks like the strongest baseball conference...this year at least.  Now having said that, their teams will quickly be eliminated in Omaha. 

Last edited by justbaseball

Justbaseball, you hit on the key point in your post.  The Big12 is on it's way to a break up because of the Longhorn Network.  The money is too skewed towards UT b/c of the ESPN/Longhorn Network contract.  A&M leaving was a big blow.  If UT doesn't change it's stance in the next two years, the conference will come apart.

It used to be cool for kids to be "Longhorns".  That ended when the UT football program cratered.

Hopefully UT will wise up.

bandera posted:

I can see the SEC taking OU and UT when it happens.  But under the condition that the LHN revenue be divided equally among the conference.  That way the conference can require the same when Alabama starts its own network.  Texas would still come out ok with the inflow of SEC network money to replace LHN money.

I agree with that.  Not sure it is that simple, but I can see a "Power 4" conference set up with 16 teams each.

I agree too Bandera.  And I also agree Go44Dad.  When we still lived in Pac12 territory, I had/have some good friends that were very well connected and they told me we are ultimately headed towards 4x16...but they added a 'plus 5 or 10' which would include the service academies, ND, BYU and a small handful of others.

Whatever is going to happen, UT and OU have little to worry about.  They make too much money to be on the outside looking in and UT's attitude reflects that they know that.  I think OU is trying to avoid having UT drive their ship.

Its a mess.  A complex mess that includes factors related to the ACC, Pac12, ND and what are they all going to do?  A few short years ago the ACC was thought to be the weakest of the 5 but I think the Big12 has moved themselves into that position.  At least they seem to be the most vulnerable for all and more of the reasons discussed.  The football dollars in particular are so big and no one is going to let go of theirs unless they see a bigger pot of gold somewhere else.

Go44dad posted:
bandera posted:

I can see the SEC taking OU and UT when it happens.  But under the condition that the LHN revenue be divided equally among the conference.  That way the conference can require the same when Alabama starts its own network.  Texas would still come out ok with the inflow of SEC network money to replace LHN money.

I agree with that.  Not sure it is that simple, but I can see a "Power 4" conference set up with 16 teams each.

This has been my prediction for a few years. Four conferences of 16 with two divisions would set up a logical football playoff system without calling it a big one. The first phase would be conference playoffs leading to four teams for the official football playoff.

With only 10 teams the big 12 ended up with just a slightly less payout per team this past yr than the sec and big 10.    Texas with LHN got more of course.   The big 12 explored its own network but were told the other conference networks were not bringing in revenue they thought and there just isn't the demand for it.   Lhn has been a loser for ESPN also but its 10 yr deal.  

Yeah I saw that. My son was on varsity with his oldest  son for one year. Their youngest son will be a junior in HS I believe. Not a player so my guess is they won't move as a family. 

Guess that also means Tadlock is not getting it worked out to go to UT as Skip is one of his best coaching buddies. Little surprised Skip not going to Lubbock

Pierce may be a good choice. But what does it say about the current state of the Texas program they couldn't get one of the top tier coaches and several turned them down? It's not what Texas expects to happen when they recruit coaches. Or does it say something about so many other programs having become great places to stay?

It's more about the other programs now than Texas.  TCU just signed their coach to a long term contract at over a million per year.  No way were they going to get a guy like that who has taken his team to the CWS 4 out the last 6 years.  Louisville pays their coach over a million a year and I am guessing many of the top SEC coaches are in that ballpark.  Also heard John Savage of UCLA is in that range as well.  

RJM posted:

Pierce may be a good choice. But what does it say about the current state of the Texas program they couldn't get one of the top tier coaches and several turned them down? It's not what Texas expects to happen when they recruit coaches. Or does it say something about so many other programs having become great places to stay?

By the raises the prospective coaches received from their current schools, they must be a great place to stay.  UT will be just fine with Pierce.  Lots of recruiting prowess in Texas and Louisiana.

My favorite UT story....

Older son was a freshman pitcher at Stanford - down to Austin they/we went for a series.  Parents all placed together near the top of the stadium.  Place is rocking.

Man in front of us in burnt orange, hootin' and hollerin' - Stanford parent asks if his son is down there.  "Yeah - thats my boy down there!"

"Who?  The catcher?"

"No, the home plate ump!" 

Stanford got swept.

Last edited by justbaseball

This is great news for Longhorn fans, Big 12 fans and anyone who keeps up with college baseball in this area.  I was watching Tulane play Texas this year ( I'm thinking Tulane won the series) and the TV announcers had nothing but high respect towards David and what he has done through out his career. I just hate seeing Skip headed to Oklahoma... Really liked him in burnt orange.

Nice article by Mike Finger on the new UT baseball coach and the selection process.

UT BASEBALL
Pierce’s ties to state valued
Houstonian leaves Tulane to take reins from Garrido
By Mike Finger SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

AUSTIN — During the 30 days Texas spent looking for a head coach, the national college baseball economy experienced one of its biggest upticks in ages. Some potential candidates signed extensions. Others received raises. At least one got a promise of new facilities. 

And after a month of helping the greater good, the Longhorns finally snagged a coach of their own. 

David Pierce, a 53-year-old Texan who attended Houston, served as an assistant at Rice and spent the last two seasons turning Tulane into a national power, was announced Wednesday as the Longhorns’ new coach. 

Pierce replaces Augie Garrido, whose 20-year tenure ended when he was reassigned May 30. Pierce becomes just the fourth Longhorns head coach of the past 70 years, following Garrido, Cliff Gustafson (1968-96) and Bibb Falk (1946-67). 

“As a kid growing up in Texas, I dreamed of being a Longhorn and wearing the burnt orange,” Pierce said in a statement released Wednesday by UT. “Today that dream is coming true.” 

Local roots 

Pierce, who spent three seasons as coach at Sam Houston State before the last two at Tulane, interviewed for the UT job almost two weeks ago. But Longhorns athletic director Mike Perrin waited to make a decision as he continued to consider coaches involved in the College World Series. 

TCU’s Jim Schlossnagle, Louisville’s Dan McDonnell, LSU’s Paul Mainieri and Oregon State’s Pat Casey were among the candidates who reportedly signed or agreed to new deals after Garrido was reassigned. Florida’s Kevin O’Sullivan reportedly received assurances the Gators will upgrade their baseball infrastructure. 

So that brought the Longhorns back to Pierce, long well-regarded as a versatile, energetic coach who’s been in charge of both pitchers and hitters during his career. 

Pierce will be introduced as the Longhorns’ coach at a news conference Thursday Terms of his contract were not immediately available, but his predecessor, Garrido, was one of the nation’s top-paid baseball coaches at $1 million per year. 

“David has deep roots in Texas and has strong recruiting connections throughout our state and surrounding states,” Perrin said in UT’s official release. “But beyond that, he is a great man who has a passion for leading and developing young men in all aspects of life.” 

A graduate of Houston’s St. Pius X High School, Pierce began as an assistant at his alma mater in 1989. His longest stint came as an assistant under Rice’s Wayne Graham from 2003-2011, a stretch that included a national championship and three other College World Series appearances. 

Return to prominence 

In five seasons as a head coach, Pierce is 197-109, including a 41-21 mark at Tulane this season. Although he hasn’t made it to the super regionals as a head coach, he did lift the Green Wave into the national top 15 at one point in 2016. 

The brother-in-law of Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak, Pierce inherits a UT program that has won six national championships but has struggled in recent seasons. This season, the Longhorns (25-32) tied a school record for losses and missed the NCAA Tournament for the third time in five years. 

Garrido, now a special assistant to Perrin, issued a statement hailing Pierce as “a very fine choice.” 

“He takes great pride in his work,” Garrido said. “He’s knowledgeable and passionate about what he’s doing and who he’s doing it for. He’s a heart-and-soul Texan who will make every effort for this program.” mfinger@express-news.net">mfinger@express-news.nettwitter.com/mikefinger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.