Skip to main content

I suppose like most others in this forum, my son loves baseball and has collegegiate level aspirations. His grades are good but not great, 3.1 GPA, he is taking 2 advanced classes which I assume will help him in the long run. He's in his sophmore year at new, 3rd year, Arizona high school. He pitches/plays centerfield and does them both well, his whole life he's shown flashes of having a very good bat but his brain keeps getting in the way...smile.

Having said all that, dad, moi, as I have discovered am way behind the power curve in terms of what is expected/required for him to go beyond high school. He's never really had any professional instruction, what I'd do if I could have a "do-over".

Realizing that his junior year is just around the corner what would you recommend he do from here? Should he receive one-on-one instruction with a good instructor (if you know of any in the Phoenix metro area please pass the info along) or hit as many camps as he can in the next 6-9 months or a combination of the two?

Thanks in advance for your input.

DD (aka dumb dad)

Y
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to high school baseball web...

You are not as behind as you think - the critical summer for camps and showcases is NEXT summer - e.g. between Junior and Senior year. This upcoming summer is a time for playing lots of games and improving his skills.

Your first stop should be here:

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/recruit_timeline.htm

A very useful document that lets you (and your son) know what should be happening when.

Coming here to this site was also a great move - this place has helped me tremendously over the last couple of years. A wonderful resource that can help you too!!!

You are fine timewise---and a 3.1 GPA is not the end of the world to say the least

First thing to do is check with the Clearinghouse on their website and make sure the advanced courses your son is taking are on the approved list of Clearinghouse Core classes for your school

One on one instruction is your choice

The key is get him on a strong high profile team and attend a few showcases in the areas where he wants to attend college so that he gets the exposure

Hope that this helps
Hereigns15,

From what I see you have two teams in your area that are in the top 10 in the entire country.
Brophy Prep, Phoenix is #2 and Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz is #5.I would take your son out to a game of each and ask around and notice who the fantastic kids are on each team. After the game have your son ask one of the studs (making sure the one you asked had a great game!)if he can recomend a top flight hitting instructor or his hitting instructor.I am betting he will happily share the coaches name and you can procede from there to try to meet and evaluate whether the coach will be a good fit to instruct your son.
Best of luck!
catshersdad
Thanks for the welcome! Yep, the timeline was the first thing that caught my eye, seems like a very useful snapshot! Thanks for the encouragement!

TRhit,
I will check with clearinghouse, thanks for the tip! I realize being on a high profile team would definetly help his chances but for financial reasons we can't afford to live in the area the "big names" are BUT the good news is, his HS is playing top-level AZ talent.

catchersdad,
Great suggestion! We will definetly follow your adice, thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.