Skip to main content

RUNNER ON 1ST AND 2ND 2 OUTS FULL COUNT THE BALL HITS THE PLATE (PUT DOWN PLATE NOT IN THE GROUND) THE BATTER SWINGS AND THE BALL FLYS UP OVER THE BACK STOP WHAT IS THE CALL DOES THE BATTER GET 1ST ON A DROP THIRD STRIKE ?

ALSO ONE MORE QUESTION IN A THREE MAN CREW DOES THE PLATE UMPIRE ALWAYS CALL FOUL BALLS OR WOULD THE 1ST BASE UMP CALL IT IF IT HIS HIT NEAR SHALLOW RIGHT FIELD?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pirate fan nailed both calls.. agreed 100%

first question- Third strike not caught...

second question- depending on where the field umpires where. If the 1st base umpire is in "A" (which is in foulf territory, just behind first base...then the Plate Umpire has up to the bag or cutout, the base umpire then has beyond..
Alright, I've got one kind of similar..

Batter hits the ball down around homeplate. I'm catching and I grab the ball directly above homeplate. I'm pretty sure the ball hit the plate and nothing else, but not positive. Foul or Fair ball? And why?

Homeplate is in fair territory, correct? Also, it's where the ball is, not where the fielder is, isn't it?
Yes the plate is fair. Yes, it's where the ball is. What was the call? The umpire should have ruled fair of foul depending on where the ball, not you, were when you caught it.
The fact it hit the plate first has no bearing on fair or foul. If it hits behind home plate and you catch it over fair territory it's still fair.
quote:
Originally posted by Cougar235:
its a drop third strike but it went out of play when it went over the backstop(fence) does he get first? from what i was told by the league president is that all runners get one base?

When a pitch or throw by the pitcher, from the rubber goes out of play, all runners get one base, and because there was a play on the BR (dropped third strike) with two outs, he gets his too. Now, what if less than 2 outs, would you still send BR to 1st?
quote:
When a pitch or throw by the pitcher, from the rubber goes out of play, all runners get one base, and because there was a play on the BR (dropped third strike) with two outs, he gets his too. Now, what if less than 2 outs, would you still send BR to 1st?

jjk,
In the original post 1st base was occupied. If there were less than two outs the batter would be out even if the pitch went out of play although the runners at 1st and 2nd would be awarded one base each.
quote:
Originally posted by pilsner:
quote:

jjk,
In the original post 1st base was occupied. If there were less than two outs the batter would be out even if the pitch went out of play although the runners at 1st and 2nd would be awarded one base each.

Concur, just threw it out there.
In the same situation, the 1st scenario... what about the other baserunners? Do they get 2nd and 3rd, respectively. Or is there a 2-base rule? Assuming they weren't in lala land, its a full count two outs they're off on the pitch, does that make a difference in the umpire's decision as to which base(s) they're awarded?
no wrong answers that I can see - less than 2 outs, man on 1st, batter takes a seat, 2 outs - he gets 1st...regardless of # of outs, everybody else gets one base, regardless of the count [i.e. doesn't depend on it being a missed 3rd strike - just a pitch that went out of play - liek a ball in the dirt that hits catchers shin guards then rolls thru the hole in the fence that the batters walk thru to hit, or it rolls into the dugout. Count doesn't matter for the runners, count and number of outs matter to the batter

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.