Skip to main content

Baseball specific conditioning needs to be on an individual basis. It can’t be done with a cookie cutter approach. We are all different in the way our body responds to conditioning.
You may have an old or current injury that needs to be addressed, certain limitations you will need to follow. This approach will benefit you much better than following a workout you downloaded that was not designed specifically for you.
Why not use a program that you see results from and are based on your specific needs.

Nobody can guarantee to improve your overall game but you can improve in certain areas to help increase your chances at a scholarship.

Darin Terry,M.S.
Exercise Physiologist
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I hear what you are saying D., but in comparison to what is floating around as far as Baseball S & C info, the true methods are "secrets" because nobody really seems to understand them.

For example, when will "programs" stop listing horizontal pressing first in a routine and "Leg" day be a few sets of leg press and some leg curls?

A nice program of squats, cleans, deads and snatches are a "secret" because so few actually prescribe/perform these lifts.

Of course as you know that is just scratching the surface. Properly developing movement patterns, force generation, neuromuscular connection, reactive abilities and CNS optimization all take a tremendous amount of know how and real world experience.
Last edited by Jon Doyle
I understand and agree with a lot of stuff you said but I disagree with a lot also. I do think that getting stronger should help you hit for a higher average. If your extra strength helps your bat speed, then you can wait on a pitch and see it a little longer before swinging. Sure its only a tiny fraction of a second but thats what it takes.

Obviously noone on here is saying that you don't have to practice the skills to get better at the skills. But if a player can become more athletic, then its the job of the hitting or pitching coach to take that athleticism and mold it into a better baseball player.

It may not be a secret but if you have been on here long you will see a bunch of kids doing programs that aren't beneficial for them. So call it whatever you would like but its information that they need to get.

Mike Griffin
No Excuses Baseball
Mike,

I did say conditioning can improve your power and speed. But when someone is offering these strength programs and stating this can improve your average or pitching performance. You can in know way do this. Just because the athlete is doing all the right things with conditioning. It will not make you hit a slider or have better control of your pitches.

I wanted these kids to know that. They need to be told this from the beginning.

D. Terry,MS
Last edited by D. Terry,M.S.
For those that are addressing Mr. Terry as doctor recheck his initials again. He has his masters not doctorate. Keep your mind open and keep questioning not just him but everyone that provides services or information to you.
You have to realize that a lot of these people are running a business and a lot of the banter deals with marketing their business interest. Some are just more tactful than others in this arena.
There has been a tremendous amount of good advice given throughout these threads and there has been an equal amount of bad advice also. Each of you has to figure out what is best for yourself and learn to apply it.
quote:
Originally posted by D. Terry,M.S.:
Mike,

You are missing the point completely. I did say conditioning can improve your power and speed. But when someone is offering these strength programs and stating this can improve your average or pitching performance. You can in know way do this. Just because the athlete is doing all the right things with conditioning. It will not make you hit a slider or have better control of your pitches.

I wanted these kids to know that. They need to be told this from the beginning.

D. Terry,MS

Personally I've never even heard someone say this. I don't know anyone who thinks that lifting/training/conditioning will improve skills. Through research as well as trial and error, one can find the program that works best for him. This is why the internet is useful. Downloading any old program/routine is silly. Personally, I've learned a great deal of info online, and it has benefited me immensely in baseball and helped me in my life in general. There are huge benifits to strength training/condition outside of baseball specific skills, as you know...
Last edited by jsorb8997
I do agree that strength and conditioning itself doesn't make someone a better hitter or pitcher. I have to tell people this all the time.

However, I know that it does HELP someone become a better hitter or pitcher if their improved power and strength is applied effectively to good mechanics and skill practice.

I hope I don't sound like I'm attacking anyone. That is certainly not my intention.

Mike Griffin
No Excuses Baseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.