Skip to main content

The BATT Academy is hosting a PRO-Mirror Hitting Clinic For H.S. and Collegiate players on Friday Nov.20 @ 7:00 pm see www.battacademy.com for details.
When looking for personal instruction\training just keep in mind resumes don't teach people do. so where ever you take your son or daughter for training, be sure to interview the teacher

Larry Williams
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would assume that 'bird dog' or Associate scouts can't simply make up business cards for any team they like and then claim to work for say, the New York Yankees.

So, how are Associate Scouts 'selected' if that is the right word? And, are they ever paid? What if one of their 'finds' actually signs a contract?

For Associate Scouts, my general impression has always been:
A)there has to be an ability to judge baseball talent; (I can't imagine a MLB team would allow just ANYone to call himself a 'scout')
B)there is a working relationship between team's associate scouts and a regional scout;
C) there is some (even if it is minimal) compensation for the associate scout, particulary when the prospect signs - even if it is a minimal level signing.

So, how far off am I?
I am an associate scout. Each ML org is different. The one I work for pays me a percentage of every player I turn in that eventually signs with our org. If they do not sign or do not sign with our org I do not get a dime.

An associate scout works under the direction of an area scouting director. You job as an associate scout is to scout players and then turn in a card on the players you believe an area paid scout should come and see. Sometimes you are directed to go see a particular player and report back on that player. Sometimes you are directed to go to a tournement , game etc and report back on players you see or they want you to see or both.

The harder you work , the more you get out and there and see players the better chance you have of turning in players that will eventually sign. The better you are at IDing players and finding players the better shot you have of turning in guys that may indeed be draftable players. Its easy to follow the ones that everyone knows about. The trick is to get out there and find the ones that are not on anyones radar so to speak. And then be lucky enough that they sign with your org.

I am issued an associate scout card by my org each year along with mlb pass and credentials issued by mlb and my org. I would assume all legit associate scouts are issued the same credentials. If you do a good job it is obvious. The area scouts for your org travel to see the guys you turn in. If they are not quality guys the word gets out pretty quick. If they are quality guys that word gets out pretty quick as well.

My forte has been to get out and see guys that no one is on and then take it from there. If everyone is already on them someone has already turned them in. I try to be the first guy to get on a player and turn him in. I have been fortunate and done pretty well. Of course they still have to sign and sign with your org to get paid. But if your doing it for the money your not very smart.
Baseball Guy....Coach_May nailed it on the head...the harder you work the more productive you are. As with training......there are no magic lessons, tapes, or teams...just a lot of hard work and dedication. Scouts spend most of their time in the background which is why we tell players...you never know who's watching. There are many great instructors out here today, who know baseball is not one size fits all. All anyone can ask for, is to have someone to help YOUR son or daughter get better. As far as scouts are concerned you may have met some and didn't know it, most of us like it that way..you get a better perspective sometimes. By the way it's also the reason I use my name instead of an acronym...got nothing to hide, and my opinions are only my own......Larry Williams
One of the ways our instructors are interviewed is to do an evaluation of a student, his strengths as well as his weakness, and provide a course of action to improve. Most legitimate instructors will do this eval free of charge. The second way to gain insight as to an instructors communication skills is to watch him give a lesson. Hitting as well as most skills are not "one size fits all", that said there are however several fundamental that do have to be achieved,don't be afraid to ask questions.The use of video in achieving a mental picture as well as a physical muscle memory, are also essential. Finally listen to your son or daughter, kids have an inate ability to read people, they Do know those who are truly trying to help vs. those who are just out to make a buck.......hope this helps....Larry Williams www.battacademy.com
all322---

Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions(although calling out people the way you did when they are just trying to make an honest living to support thier families is pretty lame), I believe your asessment about the club couldn't be any more incorrect. I played baseball at nearly all levels, and grew up training with/being coached by all the guys that work at the club. I spent a brief time working at the club when my pro career ended. In my opinion, you will never find a group that has the interests of kids at heart more than the Batt Club/Academy. They are all top quality baseball people, and more importantly, top quality people in general. There aren't many places in the entire country where you will get a great education in baseball while at the same time be around guys that have seen all life has to offer and are able to put baseball aside and willingly share their experiences and the lessons they've learned along the way; with no motive other than trying to make that kid a better person.

For a monthly fee that is about what it takes many people to fill up a car with gas, the lessons learned from being around people like Joe Durham and Clayton Jacobson, among many others, are things that you cannot measure in money. These are some of the best people I have ever known. If a kids batting average never improves 1 point from the time he starts until the time he leaves, the time spent at the club; whether inside or OUTSIDE the batting cages, will be the best investment one could ever make in their kid for reasons far more important than baseball.
Got no dog in this one....my son was not a BATT Academy regular. However, I do know some of the instructors there and have met Larry Williams. I've been impressed with the ones I know.

Can only say that all come across as smart baseball people. A little 'old school' but for some tastes, that is fine with me. I'm sure there are others who might disagree.

Put me on the side of those who think that the BATT Academy is generally on the right track. Just one person's opinion.
First off, let me say my statement of resumes don't teach people do, was in no way a slight towards any one or a calling out of anyone. It is merely a fact..if you look for an academic tutor, a doctor a lawyer or any other profession, you should always try to have a second opinion, and a good feeling about who you are doing business with. We strive to do the best we can here at the Academy, and fully realize there are many great instructors out there in many locations, many of them I have a great amount of respect for. I don't have all the answers,I am sure I don't even know all the questions and I am sure as any other coach I have my detractors, as well as my supporters. My intent was not, and will continue not to be to slight, or take shots at anyone or any instructors who share their knowledge of the game.....Larry Williams

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.