Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Princess Anne 6 First Colonial 1

Brandon Hendricks had the right stuff today.He went the distance and allowed 1 unearned run. Great plate coverage with 3 pitches made him very effective today. I couldn't count how many time he got behind in the count only to battle back with quality pitches. Daniel Hudson had 3 hits for PA, Beamer Weeems took one out to right field in the 5th inning. PA hit up and down the order. Bulman started and just didn't seam to get the same plate coverage and strike zone that Hendricks was getting today, DJ Rathbone followed in the 4th. One bright spot for FC was the defensive gems 2nd baseman Austin Wright made today. He took at least 2 hits away from PA on diving catches and made 2 tough short hop plays look easy. Big day on Wed. FC needs a victory to clinch the Beach District.

fc v dad
Kellam 12 - Bayside 2
Bayside got on the board first with 2 runs in the 2nd, then Kellam answered in the bottom half with 3 runs of their own.
Kellam continued with the hot bats and scored 9 more in the next three innings.
Jason Donavan pitched 4 good innings, and Josh Hawkins threw in the 5th.
Bayside made a few errors, but Kellam's was able to manage 13 hits.
cox 4 green run 1

spencer martin pitched a great game today with 6 strike outs and only 2 hits in 6 innings.
It was good to see B-rett Walker back on the mound again today to close things up for the 10-5 Falcons. Aaron Mania is sickwitit going 3-3 today pinch hitting for jeremey bordeaux. John Malbon collected 2 rbis on a basehit to left in the 4th. Spencer will strike YOU out. The falcons play at Salem on Wed. be there
Last edited by D-Shiznit
Tell me for my sons’ sake it is not true...

The rumor on the street is that Tallwood wins by forfeit against Kellam; they had already played 20 games before tomorrow’s game with Tallwood. Does anybody know who and when they played? This is GOOD NEWS for Tallwood but bad news for Kellam. How can a HS coach let something like this happen? It is very clear on the MASTER schedule that the most games you can play are 20. If this is all true than I feel sorry for the Kellam kids and the other schools who had a chance to make the playoffs depending on tomorrows games. Good luck to all the teams the rest of the season.

Limitations
Maximum Contests Allowed: 20
Practice May Begin: 02/23/04
First Contest Date: 03/15/04
District Deadline: 05/29/04
Regional Deadline: 06/05/04
State Final: 06/12/04
Schedule Format: 2003-04 Draw
Schedule Rotation: 2004-05 Reverse home and away
Last edited by baseballdiamond
Redbird,

I would like to know where the AD is in this whole picture. I hear the kids took a VA. Beach bus to the game. The AD should have known that they are only allowed 20 games and told the coach that he would end up playing 21 games. The bottom line it is simple math. 20 games are 20 games. I hope the coach realizes what he just did to his team. Now if Kellam expects to get to regionals there is a good chance they will have to beat the top 3 teams in the beach. I think the 4th or 5th seed would have been better than 6th.

PS....Tallwood didn't play 20 games....
Redbird,

No I don't think it is a big problem, but how do you think the other schools will feel that had a chance to get in the playoffs? The fact is by this happening the game was taken out of the kids hands. WE all need to keep in mind that the ONLY ones that suffer are the kids. I think they should have made Kellam play the game and suspened the coach for the playoffs. He his the one at fault here. Wait till tomorrow when the other schools get wind of this...
It was a mistake and nothing more. No rules were broken because no more than 20 games will be played. It is unfortunate for all of the players on both teams who, I'm sure, would love to have played the game. No one intended to give Tallwood anything. Don't sell Tallwood short - they could have come through with a win if the game was played - That's how this beach season has been - on any given day, anyone can win. No one feels worse about this than Coach Jones, I'm sure.
I am sure the coach feels bad...but it is ultimately his responsibility to know the rules. It is clearly stated..its just like students in school they have rules and if they break them they have to face consequences. Feeling bad doesn't cut it...that is what is wrong today to many excuses. What do you tell the seniors from the schools that had a chance to make the tournamnet and maybe play 1,2 or even 3 more games? What price has the coach paid here, the only ones that will suffer in this case are the players.
After reading this thread of emails, the theme seems pretty obvious. First of all, NO, and I repeat NO rule(s) were broken. The rule is no more than 20 games can be played. Kellam only played 20. It is unfortunate that their game against Tallwood is a forfeit, but so be it. Does it take the outcome of the season out of the players' hands? I am not sure about that. Tallwood had a chance to win the game (Kellam's season has been up and down all year). The other teams that are in the hunt (Bayside, etc) still have an opportunity to play and win their games.
Let's not try to read more into this than there is, such as a conspiracy theory. My son has been playing for coach Jones for the last three years. I know coach Jones well enough to know he didn't do this on purpose (even if there would have been something to gain). But in this case, Kellam gains nothing (maybe looses some advantage when all the games are played out today). He already apologized to the players, and plans on talking to the parents today. He is an honest and good-hearted coach that has the best interest of the players and school as is first priority.
I know most parents feel the same way about their son's coaches, but coach Jones is the real thing. he puts in numerous extra hours and is truely dedicate to the program. As posted in one of the earlier posts, he feels worse than anyone else. He knows he made a mistake, and he has to live with it.
For all of you that think there is more to it than that, you should talk to coach Jones about it. He is a "straight up" guy and would be willing to discuss it with you.
I'm sure there will be more discussion on this topic, but we should try to let it go and see how the rest of the season plays out.
"Play Ball"
Beach Ball & Redbird,

It is not as simple as patting the Coach on the backside and saying don't worry about it we know you didn't mean to do it. (But thanks for backing us into the corner.) What happens in a game when a player misses a sign in a close game, does the coach walk over to the player and say don't worry about it, WE all make mistakes or does he lose his cool and remove the player from the game. How can he justify getting on a player for making a MISTAKE the rest of the season or that will be returning next year after what he let happen.

I have to agree with baseballdiamond the kids are the only one's that suffer for Kellam and the other schools.
Last edited by hsbaseball
pbbh-a,

I think he should come over to my son's school and talk the players and parents. I don't think anybody that is posting here really believes there is a conspiracy theory in HS baseball or that he is trying to gain any type of edge. I would be interested to know how many parents show up at a HS baseball practice, with most of the kids driving these days. It probably is not a big deal for the Kellam players or parents.
In regards to this Kellam debacle: They should suspend the # of games rule for this circumstance, allow the game to be played and cap Kellam at 19 games next year, perhaps with a one game suspension for the coach. NEVER should a team be allowed to decide not to play their final district game due to this rule. NEVER should you potentially penalize other schools in the district for an error by a coach. If any penalties are to be assessed they should be against Kellam and Kellam's coach.

I am not saying that Tallwood would not beat Kellam, but I am also not saying they would, and who knows how this would play out with the other schools involved. I don't even know all of the potential tie breakers with this many teams with a shot at the final playoff spot.
You are all absolutely right. Both the individuals that hold Coach Jones accountable and the individuals that are standing behind him. Why is this situation any different than missing a sqeeze bunt sign, or letting the 3rd strike go by, or not running all the way to first because you think the line drive was caught. We could go on and on.
The team is being held accountable by having to forfeit their last game. A game that matters in comparison to a game that didn't. That is unacceptable. The coach should be held accountable because the error is an E10. Coach Jones needs to go out and run his poles. Let's say one for each player that doesn't get to play the last game. Someone needs to call him and let him know he needs to run 18 poles. Do it in less than 20 minutes or run them again. Isn't that the punishment that most players get for their mistakes? A mental error is not tolerated, nor should it ever be. I would have to assume that a player that is benched for making a mental error has made more than one, probably has made quite a few consecutive. Therefore, next year if he does it again, by all means bench him. Hopefully he will learn from the errors of his ways. Do not let this incident be another one that the parents just can't let go. The kids always seem to move on and the parents just keep the "dog with a bone" attitude.
Hsbaseball, you need to review all of your post on this website and determine what the common thread is to most of your post. The rest of us have. My question to you would be, do you have the backbone to approach Coach Jones and ask some of the same questions to his face that you question behind a screen name? Have you held your child accountable for every mistake they have made? For every bad, unethical behavior? What about the things you are not aware of? Things he may have done that he didn't think were wrong? Feel free to PM me if you need any insight to some of these items or call me, my number is in the phone book.

As far as this incident changing who can go to the tournament and what the seed would be, it seems to me that an obvious item has not been brought up. Does the season rest on only one game? If these teams would have won more games throughout, would the last game matter? It is a game with many what if's.
Suppport your children, let them learn to live with adversity, be involved in their lives, their friends, know who they are with and what they are doing. Hold them accountable for their actions. Hold yourself accountable for your actions. Sounds to me, if you are doing all these things you don't have time to harp on this thread anymore. Leave Coach Jones alone and let the VHSL deal with the issue, that is what they are there for.

Lynn Metheny

Let our community support Old Dominion and Virginia Wesleyan in their tournaments!!!!
EagleOne,

I think your right on this one. It seems the only people that think it's not a big deal are Kellam parents and Jones backers. I think they should wake up and smell the coffee. The 20 game maximum is on the master schedule. You can't compare this to a player missing a bunt or a sign. What Jones did was wrong and I have a very hard time thinking it was a honest mistake I don't know why it was done but I don't think it was an honest mistake. Part of a head coaches job is knowing all the rules and doing the administration work for the team. Assistants only go out and coach and don't need to worry about anything else . I'm sure coach Jones works very hard and cares about his players and program. I also know the other 10 coaches in the district work very hard and care very much about there players and programs. This is not about who works the hardest or who cares more about there program or playters. This is about following the rules. Redbird and pbbh saying that coach Jones didn't brake any rules because he didn't play any more than 20 games is ridiculous we all know the only reason Kellam is only playing 20 games is because the VHSL stepped in and stopped the last game. Why didn't coach Jones turn himself in. I know for a fact that their where Kellam parents that knew they were going to play over 20 games. THAN WHY DIDN'T THE COACH KNOW?
Doc,

You seem to know alot of facts. How in the world can you agree that next year the team should be penalized for something this year? How do you know the VHSL stepped in? How do you know for a fact that Kellam parents knew? How in the world can you assume that it wasn't an honest mistake? I do not know the answers to any of these questions I just posed to you, nor do I care. The point that I am trying to make, that nobody seems to understand, is that VHSL makes the rules, enforces the rules, fines and any other penalties. Go to their website and post your compaints there. If you don't like their decision follow the proper procedures to make a change. Seems to me, since I don't know who you are that most seem to be pretty worried about this incident instead of focusing on the upcoming tournament.
Do not assume that the Kellam parents don't care. I care very much. However, realize your position in life and what you have control over. It seems VSHL is not one of them. There are seniors who will not get to play in the tournament and this may have been their last high school game. What about the pitcher who lost out on the innings?
I would love to know how many of you "fence dwellers" applied for the position at any of the schools when they were posted. Most of you would have to take a pay cut and work longer hours than you are use to. How many would be willing to spend hours coaching a team that your child is not on, only to be scrutinized day in and day out?
The coach messed up and I only compared it to missing signs because of hsbaseball comments.

Monitor, you may need to close this post before it really gets out of hand.
bpph,

I said I didn't think it was an honest mistake. That is my opinion I didn't say I knew for sure. I'm expressing my opinion just as you are expressing yours.

1943 yankees,

I never said that the Kellam parent's didn't care. I'm sure they care very much.

I suggest that if the post on this topic is upsetting both of you this much you stopped reading the posts.
Doc,

You actually said twice that it wasn't an honest mistake. And you said it wasn't a big deal for Kellam parents.
Normally I am working and don't have the ability to read the post as they come up. (Do you guys have jobs?) Yes, I am getting upset, just as you did when they were dogging your coach.
You are absolutely correct, I need to quit reading these. Getting upset over an outsiders opinion is absurd.
I wish Kempsville the best in the tournament. They are always a hard hitting team that seems to do much better than anybody ever expects.

Doc, please think before you send your post. Whether you are right or wrong, accusing a coach based on only your opinion seems to be pretty cowardly. In reviewing your post you seem to have alot of opinions of Kellam.

Lynn Metheny

GO ODU and Virginia Wesleyan
It seems to me that the team who is potentially hurt the most by this is Bayside. If Bayside loses today they finish 4-12 but at least the game determined the outcome. Tallwood gets essentially a free pass to 5-11. If Bayside wins then who wins the tiebreaker for the #8 seed in the tournament, since Bayside and Tallwood would have identical records?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.