Skip to main content

I really want to get a pitching machine. Here's the problem: I only have $250 to spend, which is more than likely not enough for a machine that throws actual baseballs. I'll have to get one that throws polyballs or wiffleballs. Doesn't help with strength very much, but still good for hand-eye coordination.

What is the best pitching machine under $250 out there? I would prefer one that could also throw breaking balls. I'm looking at the ATEC Hitting Streak, but the balls it uses don't look like they would work too well. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
... Doesn't help with strength very much...

Just what machine does?

Where are you planning on using it? Home? On the field? Individually? With the team?

We bought a Personal Pitcher from www.personalpitcher.com which throws golf wiffle balls about 3 years ago. It pitches from about 20 feet and we have used it a lot. Really like it. Use it in our basement. Take a little bp whenever we want.

Not as good as real size/weight balls but very good for reps while learning to swing properly. And, it's in your price range. I believe they are around 175.

Instrumental, along with the knowledge learned from s e t p r o .com to take my son from an under .200 hitter to .300+ his jr year in high school.

Trial and error learning requires alot of reps. This will give them.
I am reaching just out of your price range by not by much. Maybe it is $30 more. We use the Lite-Flite Machine and it is a workhorse. It thows both poly and lite flite balls and we do just about everything you can do including fielding drills in the gym. I especially like it for our bunting drill series. When we travel and do clinics, I take it because we can do a lot and not get anyone hurt.
Teacherman, I've been looking at that PP for a while now. If I get it, I will get the Pro version, because of the curveball option. The only other machine I'm interested in now is the Mound Monster.

They both have many similarites and their own separate advantages. Both have maximum speeds of 45-50 MPH, both can simulate left & right hand fastballs and curveballs, and both are portable with a 4 hour battery.

Personal Pitcher Pros: The PP pitches small golf abll size polyballs. If you can hit a golfball anywhere in the zone well, then it should be less difficult to hit an official size baseball.

Cons: You can't use it for fielding drills.

Mound Monster Pros: Uses poly balls the same size as official size baseballs. It can also be adjusted for fielding drills. It can throw grounders and fly balls.

Cons: Can't do as many reps as the PP without having to go and collect the balls.

From everywhere I've looked, the Mound Monster is actually a lot cheaper than the Personal Pitcher. With all of this information, which one of these two would you all recommend? Thanks.
Consider spending $16.99 more and buy an Atec Hitting Streak.

You can find them for $50 to $100 more but the best place I found to get one was Don Morton sports. See link below.

I got one last year from there and also ordered more balls later. I received excellent service.

I paid another $120 or so and got the automatic feeder.

The Atec machine can be set up to throw excellent curve balls. I read where all pro teams use them specifically for this.

http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p2.pl?HS04801

Good Luck
quote:
..With all of this information, which one of these two would you all recommend? Thanks.

I know nothing about the Mound Monster.

I doubt if you would use it for infield very much. At least not as often as you would use it for hitting.

Being able to put 4 dozen balls in the PP is nice. A lot of reps without gathering balls.

I'm high on the PP.......You decide what your needs and usage will be.

SBK's item in interesting.
Last edited by Teacherman

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.