Skip to main content

Tomorrow is July 1 -- the phone will be ringing. I just want to contribute a little sage old advice from a sage old poster.

For those of you who have been anxiously awaiting this day for your son, I encourage you to be patient (I missed the boat on this one last year), positive, and open-minded. As commitments are pushed earlier each year, a family needs to remember the things we have discussed here on several occasions......there is a good situation for your son. Some will commit early, others later, and others will wait until next spring. I think Ringer1 and 11sdad have good stories to tell. Don't be afraid to ask others about their experiences.

Encourage your son to be bold and confident. Remind him that the coaches are watching -- always. And don't panic! Cool Hopefully, he has a short list by now, but be aware that schools he never considered will pop up with good opportunities.

I still can't explain how PS III ended up being recruited by Mizzou. But, along the way, he called at least one coach that did not initially call him -- and found interest. There is no hard & fast formula. Just try to enjoy the stressful process.

For those of you so inclinded....review Proverbs 3:5-6. Smile (it helped us)

My hope is that your sons find situations that are perfect for them.

-Mizzoudad (MD?) Cool
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Patience is key -- and trust in the Lord's perfect plan and timing goes a long way!

As the parent of an '08 grad who signed early, I was amazed at how many D1 deals were made this spring. Son is playing on an 18U team this summer and there are a few on the team who have not yet signed. This past weekend, two of his teammates who have already graduated received interest from D1 schools. I am confident that they will have a place to play come fall.

Best wishes to all '09 parents who are just beginning the process!
To those of you receiving calls this week: congratulations. You have a long way to go to win at Omaha or in the big leagues, but you deserve any credit you're already getting.

This post is for everyone else. Many student-athletes wait for July 1 and the phone calls to start, and get nothing. Welcome to life. Do not get down in the dumps about this. This DOES NOT mean that you cannot play DI baseball. Also, it is important to recognize that DII, DIII, NAIA, and JuCos offer fantastic academic/athletic situations for many people.

So what do you do now? That's your choice. You can get upset at things outside your control and back up, or you can commit to a goal and take action. If you're just interested in college ball, it probably won't happen, because it truly is a much bigger pond than high school ball. But if you're committed to it - you can find a way to get it done! Don't let others' actions or inactions affect your attitude and resolve. Go for it, by staying upbeat, working hard, asking questions, and being consistent! Especially working hard!

Best wishes. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

-Aaron
quote:
Many student-athletes wait for July 1 and the phone calls to start, and get nothing. Welcome to life. Do not get down in the dumps about this.

I echo those sentiments. In the Texas forum, the list of 2008 commits is just a few spaces below this new 2009 thread. The list was begun on July 3, 2007 and 2008 grads are still announcing their commitments a whole year later.

Keep the faith!
It is with great pleasure that I announce that the following McKinney Marshals have made verbal commitments:

Jake Feckley/RHP/Wylie HS Texas A&M
Mason Leavit/LHP/Legacy Christian Texas A&M
Austin Elkins/INF/Coppell HS Dallas Baptist U

It is truly exciting for me that these boys have been with our organization for more than 3 years. Loyal kids, loyal parents, it makes all this worth it...

Congratulations to all three Marshals! Three very deserving young men. Best of luck as you continue to take your baseball dreams to the next level.

Not to take anything from Mason as I am sure he shares all the same qualities, but I have had the pleasure to know Jake and Catfish since they were both 9 and 10. Both on and off the field, they are two of the hardest working and most dedicated players out there today!!
Also, I wanted to say a special thanks to Cade Griffis and the DBAT family. They have a bit of a beating on the boards recently, but until you see how they truly operate in the interest of all the kids, you can't appreciate how hard they work getting these boys opportunities.

So thank you to Cade, Kermit, Rusty and Alan.
Tyler Collins -- I am soooo very proud of you! You have indeed accomplished a great deal!

Of course, I can say that I knew Tyler back in the day. Am I allowed to use that term? He and my son played on the same team years ago. Tyler actually was playing not one but two years up AND holding his own quite well. We knew then that Tyler had something very special going for him.

Karen and Scott -- you are both such supportive parents... not only to your own boys but to others as well. Enjoy the ride!!!
Last edited by momandcpa
Tychco and Collikar,
You didn't even call me!!! We are so thrilled for Tychco Jr.( even though he can't get a home run off of my son). We were thrilled to hear about Alex also. Two great kids, Suspect parents?, but even though we played for the Mustangs- Randle, we consider you all great friends and look forward to watching all of the boys success. Maybe, we should love on Cade more.
Call me - Your weekly cohort.
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Also, I wanted to say a special thanks to Cade Griffis and the DBAT family. They have a bit of a beating on the boards recently, but until you see how they truly operate in the interest of all the kids, you can't appreciate how hard they work getting these boys opportunities.

So thank you to Cade, Kermit, Rusty and Alan.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.