Skip to main content

Tomorrow is July 1 -- the phone will be ringing. I just want to contribute a little sage old advice from a sage old poster.

For those of you who have been anxiously awaiting this day for your son, I encourage you to be patient (I missed the boat on this one last year), positive, and open-minded. As commitments are pushed earlier each year, a family needs to remember the things we have discussed here on several occasions......there is a good situation for your son. Some will commit early, others later, and others will wait until next spring. I think Ringer1 and 11sdad have good stories to tell. Don't be afraid to ask others about their experiences.

Encourage your son to be bold and confident. Remind him that the coaches are watching -- always. And don't panic! Cool Hopefully, he has a short list by now, but be aware that schools he never considered will pop up with good opportunities.

I still can't explain how PS III ended up being recruited by Mizzou. But, along the way, he called at least one coach that did not initially call him -- and found interest. There is no hard & fast formula. Just try to enjoy the stressful process.

For those of you so inclinded....review Proverbs 3:5-6. Smile (it helped us)

My hope is that your sons find situations that are perfect for them.

-Mizzoudad (MD?) Cool
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Patience is key -- and trust in the Lord's perfect plan and timing goes a long way!

As the parent of an '08 grad who signed early, I was amazed at how many D1 deals were made this spring. Son is playing on an 18U team this summer and there are a few on the team who have not yet signed. This past weekend, two of his teammates who have already graduated received interest from D1 schools. I am confident that they will have a place to play come fall.

Best wishes to all '09 parents who are just beginning the process!
To those of you receiving calls this week: congratulations. You have a long way to go to win at Omaha or in the big leagues, but you deserve any credit you're already getting.

This post is for everyone else. Many student-athletes wait for July 1 and the phone calls to start, and get nothing. Welcome to life. Do not get down in the dumps about this. This DOES NOT mean that you cannot play DI baseball. Also, it is important to recognize that DII, DIII, NAIA, and JuCos offer fantastic academic/athletic situations for many people.

So what do you do now? That's your choice. You can get upset at things outside your control and back up, or you can commit to a goal and take action. If you're just interested in college ball, it probably won't happen, because it truly is a much bigger pond than high school ball. But if you're committed to it - you can find a way to get it done! Don't let others' actions or inactions affect your attitude and resolve. Go for it, by staying upbeat, working hard, asking questions, and being consistent! Especially working hard!

Best wishes. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

-Aaron
quote:
Many student-athletes wait for July 1 and the phone calls to start, and get nothing. Welcome to life. Do not get down in the dumps about this.

I echo those sentiments. In the Texas forum, the list of 2008 commits is just a few spaces below this new 2009 thread. The list was begun on July 3, 2007 and 2008 grads are still announcing their commitments a whole year later.

Keep the faith!
It is with great pleasure that I announce that the following McKinney Marshals have made verbal commitments:

Jake Feckley/RHP/Wylie HS Texas A&M
Mason Leavit/LHP/Legacy Christian Texas A&M
Austin Elkins/INF/Coppell HS Dallas Baptist U

It is truly exciting for me that these boys have been with our organization for more than 3 years. Loyal kids, loyal parents, it makes all this worth it...

Congratulations to all three Marshals! Three very deserving young men. Best of luck as you continue to take your baseball dreams to the next level.

Not to take anything from Mason as I am sure he shares all the same qualities, but I have had the pleasure to know Jake and Catfish since they were both 9 and 10. Both on and off the field, they are two of the hardest working and most dedicated players out there today!!
Also, I wanted to say a special thanks to Cade Griffis and the DBAT family. They have a bit of a beating on the boards recently, but until you see how they truly operate in the interest of all the kids, you can't appreciate how hard they work getting these boys opportunities.

So thank you to Cade, Kermit, Rusty and Alan.
Tyler Collins -- I am soooo very proud of you! You have indeed accomplished a great deal!

Of course, I can say that I knew Tyler back in the day. Am I allowed to use that term? He and my son played on the same team years ago. Tyler actually was playing not one but two years up AND holding his own quite well. We knew then that Tyler had something very special going for him.

Karen and Scott -- you are both such supportive parents... not only to your own boys but to others as well. Enjoy the ride!!!
Last edited by momandcpa
Tychco and Collikar,
You didn't even call me!!! We are so thrilled for Tychco Jr.( even though he can't get a home run off of my son). We were thrilled to hear about Alex also. Two great kids, Suspect parents?, but even though we played for the Mustangs- Randle, we consider you all great friends and look forward to watching all of the boys success. Maybe, we should love on Cade more.
Call me - Your weekly cohort.
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Also, I wanted to say a special thanks to Cade Griffis and the DBAT family. They have a bit of a beating on the boards recently, but until you see how they truly operate in the interest of all the kids, you can't appreciate how hard they work getting these boys opportunities.

So thank you to Cade, Kermit, Rusty and Alan.
Lee and Midge AND MAX
I am happy to have been involved in coaching Maximo since he was 10 years old without screwing him up.

Tell him Bo and the family said CONGRATS!!!

My only concern is who could put up with Tychco and Lee in the stands for 4 years?
Doesn't Baylor need pitching?
GREAT KIDS, parents so-so, very deserving!!
quote:
Congrats to Max...I have to admit, great choice!

Congrats to Lee and Midge as well.

quote:
Originally posted by catcher:
It is with great pleasure that I announce that the following McKinney Marshals have made verbal commitments:

Austin Elkins/INF/Coppell HS Dallas Baptist U

It is truly exciting for me that these boys have been with our organization for more than 3 years. Loyal kids, loyal parents, it makes all this worth it...

Great to hear about these young mens' success.

I am especially excited for Catfish!!!!!! I will be traveling down to DBU and watching some of his games in 2010 with Beau and the family!!!
Congratulations to all of these boys!

It has been a pleasure watching Tyler and Max hit all summer. Best of luck down the road. Coach Thompson did a great job in landing these guys.

Glaesman is a prototypical looking corner Outfielder that plays it the right way. He's definitely one of those guys you want getting off the bus first.
quote:
Originally posted by SWAC:
My fishing buddy Tyler Collins commits to Baylor. Congratulations to the Collins family.

Congratulations to Tyler,
I know you will go far in this game but more importantly in life as well.

Congratulations to Karen and Scott, I know you are very happy and relieved. Now you all can just
RELAX and ENJOY his senior year and all the wonderful things that come from it.

quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
ALL of my family was there, and, it was the last game I saw with my brother..............

A memory you'll always have and cherish! And, it was the first time CollikarSon#2(then 10) saw his idol catch for the Red Raiders. All due to FO's generosity and love of the game!

Great memories! Definitely fun!
Last edited by collikar
Congrats to Lawton Langford, SS from Uvalde HS and South Texas Slider, who has committed to Baylor!

From Houston 5a's website, here are more Houston area commitments:

Alex Anastas, 1B from Friendswood HS, commits to Univ. of Houston

Jake Miller, SS from Stratford, commits to Baylor

Jameson Taillon, RHP from the Woodlands, commits to Rice

Tyler Duffie, RHP from Lamar, commits to TCU

Connor Harrell, OF from Kinkaid, commits to Vanderbilt
[quote]SWAC
HSBBWeb Old Timer

Posted August 12, 2008 10:08 AM Hide Post
Kentucky received one of the biggest commitments of the Rich Brooks era when Centennial High School (Tx.) quarterback and DBAT outfielder Ryan Mossakowski chose to become a Wildcat. Mossakowski will play football and baseball for the Wildcats.

Great kid and great family congrats Moss
quote:
Originally posted by DXBIBLE:
Interesting that Rice is committing players earlier. It seems to get earlier and earlier every year . . . . he must be a can't miss and he'll get a great education and great coaching there.

Just curious, if you're not supposed to receive any correspondence before Sept 1 of your Junior year and can't receive phone calls till July 1 of your upcoming Senior year, how do you commit before you're even a Junior? Just wondering.
quote:
Originally posted by chipperj:
quote:
Originally posted by DXBIBLE:
Interesting that Rice is committing players earlier. It seems to get earlier and earlier every year . . . . he must be a can't miss and he'll get a great education and great coaching there.

Just curious, if you're not supposed to receive any correspondence before Sept 1 of your Junior year and can't receive phone calls till July 1 of your upcoming Senior year, how do you commit before you're even a Junior? Just wondering.

If the player attends a camp on the college's campus and the player pays for the camp, the coaches can interact as much as they want. Offers and commitments can be done then.
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
.... I encourage you to be patient (I missed the boat on this one last year), positive, and open-minded. As commitments are pushed earlier each year, a family needs to remember the things we have discussed here on several occasions......there is a good situation for your son......

I agree. Be patient, but I'll also add, be proactive. Pick out a set of schools that would be strong, regardless of the baseball situation, and call those coaches. Let them know you are interested. You never know what will happen.
quote:
Originally posted by ACowboy:
I agree. Be patient, but I'll also add, be proactive. Pick out a set of schools that would be strong, regardless of the baseball situation, and call those coaches. Let them know you are interested. You never know what will happen.

I agree.. I have so many friends who arent playing this year because they thought that they would just be seen on there own. There aren't to many players who the scouts flock to.. most players have to send emails and make phone calls. Be persistent and it will pay off
quote:
Originally posted by SWAC:
Kentucky received one of the biggest commitments of the Rich Brooks era when Centennial High School (Tx.) quarterback and DBAT outfielder Ryan Mossakowski chose to become a Wildcat. Mossakowski will play football and baseball for the Wildcats.

Congrats Moss and Dan. Truly a great young man and a tremendous athlete!
More verbal commitments from Houston's 5Abaseball site:

M.P. Cokinos, C, SB Memorial, Univ. of Houston

Michael Ratterree, SS, SB Memorial, Rice

Kevin Hahn, LHP, Stratford, Rice

Tyler Spurlin, RHP, The Woodlands, Rice

Brandon Wood, RHP/OF, Clements, Texas A&M

Keifer Nuncio, RHP, Katy, University of Texas

Connor Harrell, OF, Kinkaid, Vanderbilt

Kevin Williams, LHP, Angleton, Texas A&M Corpus Christi

Congrats to all!

If I'm not mistaken, Brandon Wood is the first Texas A&M '09 commitment I've read about. Are there others out there, or is A&M having a slow recruiting year?
quote:
Originally posted by Infield08:
More verbal commitments from Houston's 5Abaseball site:

M.P. Cokinos, C, SB Memorial, Univ. of Houston

Michael Ratterree, SS, SB Memorial, Rice

Kevin Hahn, LHP, Stratford, Rice

Tyler Spurlin, RHP, The Woodlands, Rice

Brandon Wood, RHP/OF, Clements, Texas A&M

Keifer Nuncio, RHP, Katy, University of Texas

Connor Harrell, OF, Kinkaid, Vanderbilt

Kevin Williams, LHP, Angleton, Texas A&M Corpus Christi

Congrats to all!

If I'm not mistaken, Brandon Wood is the first Texas A&M '09 commitment I've read about. Are there others out there, or is A&M having a slow recruiting year?

This is off the front page of this thread

Ans Todd Glaseman(sp) of Waco Midway
quote:
Originally posted by 1eighty:
Slade would rather go straight into pro ball. Depends on signing bonus. Both Texas High pitchers are recieveing a lot of interest from Major League Scouts, could be a big year for Texas High Tigers.

1eighty, you need to find me two more pitchers in the area to replace Josh and Slade after next summer, spoke with Josh last night he is really excited.
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:
Here are two that I haven't seen anywhere on the board:

Slade Heathcott (Texarkana, Texas HS) - LSU
Cameron White (Grapevine HS) - Air Force

Congrats to both. Cameron is a great kid and pitcher. Just thankful he had his mothers genes.

IF he was flawed with his paternal genes, he wouldn't be able to get out of his own way...
To my friends, Tychco and Maverick,
Now I know why I haven't been on this site in a month. With comments from a Red Raider and a Longhorn, I should have known better.
Look at your kids, Tyler and Taylor, great kids, great baseball players and they definitely acquired their talents from YOUR BETTER HALVES.

Thanks for the kudos for Cameron, we are extremely proud of him and support his decision (even though he would look good in orange and black)to play baseball and get a top education at the U.S. Air Force Academy. To be picked as one of the key players by a great group of coaches and pitching in a Falcon uni in the Mountain West next year, it will be exciting.

Thanks to you guys for all your support and friendship over the years. Will see you at the fields. the
quote:
quote:
quote:

Congrats to both. Cameron is a great kid and pitcher. Just thankful he had his mothers genes.

IF he was flawed with his paternal genes, he wouldn't be able to get out of his own way...
bball, WOW!!!! Great news about Cameron. Didn't realize he had made that decision yet. I know his LF'er will miss him next year, so let's get it done this Spring...Oh, Jr. has promised that they will give him more run support this time!!!!!!

Congrats to you guys also as I am sure you two (and his bros.) are very proud.
quote:
Originally posted by bball71tx:
To my friends, Tychco and Maverick,
Now I know why I haven't been on this site in a month. With comments from a Red Raider and a Longhorn, I should have known better.
Look at your kids, Tyler and Taylor, great kids, great baseball players and they definitely acquired their talents from YOUR BETTER HALVES.

Thanks for the kudos for Cameron, we are extremely proud of him and support his decision (even though he would look good in orange and black)to play baseball and get a top education at the U.S. Air Force Academy. To be picked as one of the key players by a great group of coaches and pitching in a Falcon uni in the Mountain West next year, it will be exciting.

Thanks to you guys for all your support and friendship over the years. Will see you at the fields. the
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've seen Cameron drive... Scares me to think he might be flying jets over my house someday...

I believe the only thing Lil Mave got from his mother is the uncanny ability to spend large sums of money...
quote:
Originally posted by 10ofDiamonds:
I would like to add one more to the list.

Congratulations to Max Lamantia for his verbal commitment to Stephen F. Austin.

Max plays 1st base for Flower Mound H.S.

Stephen F Austin is getting a great kid with a big bat! Adding a great family to their program as well!

Congratulations to Max and his family. Great kid.

There goes another 6-5A signee!!
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
My son Jordan Chovanec, centerfielder on 2A Industrial High School in Vanderbilt, TX just committed to perennial DII championship contender Delta State in Mississippi. White Sox scout attending Perfect Game's South Top Prospect showcase in Mckinney got the ball rolling!

Very, very cool... we oftentimes hear about 5A and 4A commitments... glad to hear others are having success as well!

Signed,

A former class "B" graduate
quote:
All of UNM's home games are played at AAA Isotopes Park. IMO, I have to give the nod to them as having the best park in D1 baseball.

While in NM, go to Blakes Lottaburger and order a double-double with green chiles... Red Face

Catcher, FYI, the Air Force Academy is going to play all of their home games at the AAA Sky Sox park in Colorado Springs next year while they build a new stadium.
Sky Sox Park is pretty nice also.
quote:
quote:
All of UNM's home games are played at AAA Isotopes Park. IMO, I have to give the nod to them as having the best park in D1 baseball.

While in NM, go to Blakes Lottaburger and order a double-double with green chiles... Red Face

Catcher, FYI, the Air Force Academy is going to play all of their home games at the AAA Sky Sox park in Colorado Springs next year while they build a new stadium.
Sky Sox Park is pretty nice also.

BB is donating most of the funds for Air Force's new statdium and they have agreed to call it

The Tater Salad Ballpark...
Posted by a TCU fan on the Rivals.com message board:

Baseball America's #3 prospect for the high school class of 2009 has committed to TCU.

The issue now is going to be trying to get him to come to TCU instead of to the MLB.

Purke is a left-handed pitcher out of Spring, Texas (home of Josh Beckett and former TCU pitcher Sam Demel). He went 12-1 last season and is 6'3" 175 lbs. He played in both the Aflac and Under-Armour all-american games.

If we can somehow get Purke on campus our pitching will be extremely solid. We already have a very great group, this would just add to it.
Agree Jerry,

Congrats to David Walsh!

Anyone looking to stay local and possibly be a contributor immediately, UTA might be a good option.
With so many seniors, the opportunities for younger players to get playing time early will be there. The level of competition they play year in and year out is also a big plus. And last but not least, Coach Thomas and his staff are truly some of the good guys around.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
Congrats to Jon McManemin! (A talented young man who I believe was actually a member of the Marshals last summer)

Nope, he was on the Dallas Mustangs #1 17yr old team last summer

Congratulations Jon, We are very happy for you and you are very deserving.
WE wish you the best.

J. Mac played for Zach Randle of the Mustangs. He had a great year too. Classy young man and good family...

We wish him the best. Lil Mav is looking at North Central too...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by collikar:
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
Aaron Gilbreath - Dallas Baptist University

DBU just struck GOLD(berg)!!!!

Congratulations, Aaron! I'm so proud for you and your parents!!

A-TRAIIIINNN and Proud Parents.

Our family echoes Tychchos sentiments. I am sitting in my hotel in Houston and we are so proud of you. You are one of the best lefty's I have ever seen and a great kid, even though you don't root for the best college football team.
DBU is very lucky. Bo called me last night all excited for you.
CONGRATULATIONS from one of your old coaches and our family.

Keep your day job. Roll Eyes

Way to go Goldberg!!!
Will Fletcher-McKinney Boyd HS
committed to NCTC in Gainesville Scott is getting a diamond in the rough with this one. He will develop real nicely up in Gainesville. Will, I am very proud of you man!!

Jake Johansen-Allen HS
committed to Dallas Baptist University Dan will love the upside on this big man! Great kid. Congrats Jake!!
Last edited by Coach A
Jordan Badarack-Frisco Centennial RHP
has verbally committed to play for Coach Clark at Paris Junior College. I have really enjoyed watching Jordan grow into an incredible leader and an even better pitcher! Congrats JB! I am so proud of you! Good luck this spring. Plan on sweeping the rest of the district in spring, because you will be 0-2 vs the Raccoons. haha
Ryan Parker-1B/DH McKinney Boyd HS

Has officially committed to play at Austin College in Sherman Texas in 2009! Another fine quality young man with a super family! I know they will be happy he is playing so close so they can continue to enjoy his games in person. It has been fun watching you grow and learn the game of baseball at a high level, Ryan! Congratulations!!
Richard Sanguinetti, IF/OF
Mansfield Summit
FW Cats

Will be committing to Coastal Carolina today. Congrats to Rich and his family as he is getting to go play at the school he has talked about since he was a sophomore.

Rich went out to their showcase camp this weekend and made me look real good!!! Now his parents can relax and enjoy his senior year! And so can Rich Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Patrick Duncan-RHP/SS/3B Arlington Lamar

Has committed to play for Western Michigan University. Patrick is a heck of a player and one to watch this Spring. He has flown a little under the radar because he doesn't play on a Big Name Summer team but this kid is the real deal...Congrats to the Duncans. Now you can just sit back and enjoy his SR. year.

As someone who calls the Great State Of Michigan home, congrats on playing in the promised land.
Mike Schmeck, OF - John Paul II

I understand that Mike got his official letters from the Naval Academy over the holidays and has moved from a verbal to a COMMITTED with NAVY.

Congrats - Michael and family as I know Mike will make us proud both on and off the field

I also understand that Mike will be joining a strong group of DFW recruits going to NAVY

Looks like Army better get used to continuing to lose to NAVY
I found this list on PG Crosschecker.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/hsprospects/2009/college_...lass.aspx?gyear=2009

Does anyone have a more complete list or link of Texas signings for the Academies?

Ben Nelson Winter Springs FL RHP Navy

Dan Novak West Chester East PA OF Navy

Greg Dupell Tampa Jesuit FL C Navy

Joel Rinehart Kingwood Tx RHP Navy

Andrew Austin McIntosh GA RHP Air Force

Sean Carley Melbourne Central Catholic FL RHP Air Force

Trevor Keele Edgewood TX 1B Air Force

Stephen Colangelo Douglas FL RHP Air Force

Matt Zettler Winter Springs FL Air Force

Cameon White Grapevine TX RHP Air Force

Garrett Custons Sarasota FL C Air Force

Ken Jackson Starr's Mill GA RHP Army