Skip to main content

Here is a video shot at the 18u trials in Cary last week for the USA Baseball with Bryce Harper throwing runner out from his knees.
It was the first time I saw him play and it looked like he was setting a runner up for this in the prior inning but the batter struck out for the 3rd out. Its slow mo but in real time its really fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDgYlvLTWE
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The kid is pretty impressive, but I do have to wonder about that set-up with a man on base. He's got his left leg extended out so he can quickly "step" with it in order to throw down without the usual footwork.

But what happens if the pitch is in the dirt to his left or right? From that position, it seems as if it would be very hard to move laterally to block a pitch.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kremer:
The kid is pretty impressive, but I do have to wonder about that set-up with a man on base. He's got his left leg extended out so he can quickly "step" with it in order to throw down without the usual footwork.

But what happens if the pitch is in the dirt to his left or right? From that position, it seems as if it would be very hard to move laterally to block a pitch.

I was thinking the same thing. I would like to see him block a ball to his right from that stance.

One other thing about Harper that I have noticed. When I saw him play in the AFLAC Game, it seemed like he really doesn't like catching the ball when a batter swings at a pitch. On almost all pitches where the batter swung, he really flinched when trying to catch the ball. Just an observation.
Also, he may can get away with it for now, but he's probably as quick and agile right now as he'll ever be. He may improve marginally, but he'll probably also add some weight and lose a little flexibility as he matures. Once that happens, he may lose his ability to "get away with it" and at that point his catching ability better be based on some strong fundamentals.
quote:
I actually saw Harper play six or seven games this summer. Interestingly, when he threw from his knees, he recorded pop times between 1.90 - 1.95; when he actually stood up to throw, the time was reduced to roughly 1.85.

That's not a surprise. You get far more power from your throws when utilizing the strongest part of your body [legs] to propel it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.