Skip to main content

I've been out of touch for a few weeks but for good reason.  You see, I got remarried a few days ago to a wonderful lady who just happens to be my high school sweetheart.  She's beautiful, funny, and I am very excited to begin our new life together in peace and happiness.

So I haven't had much time for baseball.

Bum, Jr. got released by his MLB team recently.  Despite jumping three levels and going 7-4 overall for them as a starter, he tore his ACL last season, and they probably didn't want to take a chance at rehabbing him a second year.  That's my guess, anyway.  Very ironic, because he's 100% healthy now and has never had an arm problem, never even a sore arm in his young life.  He's throwing harder than ever and he's added a fourth pitch, a cutter, to his arsenal.

I see my friend Backfootslider in another post talked about himself slowing down, enjoying each moment while his son is in high school baseball.  His son is so talented and I know in a few years' time you'll be hearing about him on the college boards, the draft boards.  BFS talked about pushing too hard on his son to succeed and it really hit home.  I know I did too,

..so many years ago.

Parents, baseball is a gift to enjoy.  Don't push.  I remember enjoying nearly every game at the high school and travel team levels.  There  were so many wonderful memories.

It's not over.  Bum, Jr. has signed with the Traverse City Beach Bums of the Frontier League, an independent league team.  They place players every year back into affiliated ball.  I suspect Bum, Jr. will tear up that league and get back into affiliated ball soon.  But if not, he's had a spectacular career, one to be proud of.

Bum, Jr. is getting married this year to his high school sweetheart, too.  He's pragmatic about the situation, and doesn't want to hang on past this year if another affiliated team doesn't pick him up. 

We'll see what 2014 has to offer.  In the meantime, I want to thank my friends here at HSBBW over the years, especially TPM, Jerry Ford, and RJM.  Plus so many others that have dropped off as their sons left the game.  I've been a member nearly 10 years now, and I'm hoping it'll continue another 10 years but reality says it's time to move on.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. --Mark Twain

Last edited by Bum
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No wonder we haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Congratulations on your marriage Bum!  Disappointing news for Bum Jr, but will be rooting for him to work his way back. 

Have missed your presence on the board of late. You're obviously starting an exciting new chapter of life, but selfishly... I hope that you will at least keep an eye on us around here and offer the benefit of your experience as often as possible.

Bum,

I've been thinking about you, and wondering where you've been.  Congrats on the marriage, and certainly wishing the best for Bum Jr., I'd expect with his health, and skill to see him picked up soon.

Most of all, thanks for your very candid contribution to this board.  In my short time here, I always looked forward to your sage advice, and comments.  I hope you still check in from time to time, and you ought to expect me to reach out to you for advice as the years move forward with my son. 

Best wishes to you, and your son!

Last edited by Back foot slider

Bum,

Wow congrats on the new marriage. wishing you years of happiness.

Hope Rusty does great in INDY ball. If baseball doesn't work out its not so bad on the other side.Were experiencing our first season without baseball in 19 years. Cant say I wont miss it,but its fun watching other aspects of his life evolving.

I think his plan of one year to gauge affiliate interest is good plan.

Best of luck to both of you)))

Originally Posted by Bum:

I've been out of touch for a few weeks but for good reason.  You see, I got remarried a few days ago to a wonderful lady who just happens to be my high school sweetheart.  She's beautiful, funny, and I am very excited to begin our new life together in peace and happiness.

Congratulations Bum!  You must really be in love... you set some pretty lofty expectations

Best wishes to the both of you as well as Bum Jr.  Your contributions here are very much appreciated and I hope you will continue to visit at least once in a while.

Bum,

Peace and happiness, that sure sounds great.  Congratulations!

I hope that Bum Jr makes it to the Big Leagues some day.  It would be a great story.  Please keep us up to date. No matter what Bum Jr is a great story and you have some valuable experience that can help many young kids in the future.  So I hope you do stick around and contribute

I will be pulling for Rusty!

Bum:

I, too, have not been on this site long....less than a year...especially compared to you and some other "wise old sages."  Congratulations on your marriage.  What I really want to say is thanks very much for your oustanding contributions to this site.  I've found your insights and analysis very helpful, so much so that I found myself going back to old...sometimes very old...posts of yours to glean as much as I could from your wisdom and experience.  Thanks for your data/analyses, candor and for always "keeping it real".  Hopefully, you will check back in from time to time.

Also, congrats on an A+ job in helping your son reach levels in this sport that a very small percentage will achieve.

All the best,

BucsFan

Last edited by BucsFan

Bum, congrats on the new marriage, I hope she is a baseball fan. Thank you for your insight, your honesty and your genuine caring to help others.

It sounds like Rusty will be fine and will be successful it whatever he chooses to do. He has accomplished so much and has worked really hard and defied the odds. 

All the best to you, your new bride and Rusty!

Keep us posted!

Congratulations on your marriage Bum. It's funny how sometimes many years later you end up right where you started.

As for Bum, Jr., he has the right attitude about the whole situation and things will work out the way they are supposed to. I know from your past posts that he won't be outworked. That will carry over well no matter what he ends up doing. 

Don't be a stranger! You are one of many on this site who's posts I look forward to reading and you would be truly missed.

Last edited by birdman14

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.