Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The national average is 33% go on to four years schools. Only half of them stay to get a four year degree.

A few years ago I read in the LA Times most community college kids take remedial courses in an attempt to survive college. A majority of the CalState students take remedial courses.

College was not intended to be for the remedial. Remedial courses should be passed before entering college.

The UC system is selective. Community college students shouldn’t be guaranteed acceptance. They should have to earn it. The Cal State system is for less qualified students.

Last edited by RJM

This article is missing a lot of information.  MANY community college students enter without the goal of transferring.  CC offers many certificate programs where the ultimate goal is an apprenticeship or profeciency in something other than basic education.  Apprenticships in trades for example.  My local community college offers 60 programs other than the AA-transfers that serve almost 25% of the enrolled students.

So do we dock points for a community college where a students starts with dreams of transferring to UCLA and then when reality (otherwise known as Math 120) hits and they realize maybe extended school isn't for them, they switch and learn CAD programming or become a trade apprentice.  Is that a failure or a success?  I wish more kids who don't know who they are or where they are going would figure it out at a local community college (which is incredibly cheap in CA) instead of creating student debt to figure out they really  want to be an electrician and not push papers around all day.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.