Skip to main content

Let's give credit where credit is due! Please nominate any player who "Did his job" on the field extrememly well in a single game this week.

This weekly award will go out to the varsity baseball or softball player who demonstrates the best mental skills in a single game. This means that for one game, he (or she) did a great job of playing up to his potential and giving his team the best chance he could to win. Please reply with outstanding individual performances, stating the player's name, his school (with City and State), the final score of the game, and why this performance was an outstanding display of his talent. The only difference between this and a typical player-of-the-week award is that the least talented player on the field should, in theory, have an equal chance to win this award as the most talented player.

I will select the winner every Monday, and will send that player, via his coach at school, a certificate of achievement, a free copy of my updated (with illustrations) book, Finding Your Peak Performance with Mental Skills Training, and a framed poem titled "Do You Want to Be a Champion." This poem is posted on my website, CoachTraub.com, and is extremely popular with players I share it with. This prize is worth $40. I will also include a note explaining how he won (who nominated him).

Enjoy your job. Know your job. Do your job!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Okay, I live in Texas, so that's why this same post in the Texas Forum is getting such a better response, but I posted it here because I used to coach at UVa (98-00) and I would love to hear from you all, especially if it's something to rival these nominations:

(listed in no particular order)

1. Teddy Nowell, P, Mesquite Poteet
Complete Game Shutout Win, 2-0, at Highland Park, a game between state 4A powers and district rivals.

2. KALE KISER - Plano West: 5 FOR 5, 3 doubles and a triple in win over Plano East.

3. Ethan Stuckly, Pilot Point, 16-13 loss to Bridgeport. Stuckly was 5-for-5 with a single, two doubles, a triple and a home run.

4. Zak Hermans, a Coppell HS, pitched a seven-inning no-hitter in Coppell's 2-0 win over Lewisville. His first varsity district start.

5. Trey Sorrells, McKinney North, 6-1 win vs. The Colony. He was 3-3 with 3 RBI and a double and threw out 3 base runners attempting to steal second.

6. Kylee Crosek, Denton Guyer softball, hit for the cycle and pitched a no-hitter Monday in a 14-0 win over Wichita Falls. Crosek then threw a two-hitter and was 3-for-3 with a double, triple, home run and four RBIs in Tuesday's 10-0 win vs. Denton. Crosek has reached base safely in 14 straight plate appearances.

7. LHP Colton Turner, Jr., Joshua HS
Pitched a no-hitter vs. Mineral Wells in a 6-0 win. He also hit a HR.

This award will not be given out solely on stats, although consideration will certainly be given to athletes who were "in the zone," as indicated by exceptional statistics. I am also looking for the athlete who does the "little things" right, displays leadership, and/or overcomes adversity -- whether from self, opponents, umpires, teammates, fans, bad luck, or whatever.

I recognize the subjectivity and guesswork here, and it is clear that many deserving candidates each week will not win the award, but we can read about each of them, which is positive feedback in itself. A bias towards good writers may occur, too. Thank you for these nominations already. Some of these performances were previously unknown to me, and all are clearly outstanding!
My nomination for this week goes to Basil Badley of Mount Vernon High School, Varsity Baseball. Basil went 2-3 with a two run HR an outfield assist at 3rd in a tied ball game and pitched the 7th inning to notch the win as the Majors scored two runs in the bottom of the 7th to walk away with a 5-4 victory over rival West Potomac
Mount Vernon High School is in Alexandria, Virginia. Also Basil's two run HR tied the game at 2-2 when the momentum had clearly shifted to West Potomac. The HR came off West Potomacs ace and best player and the OF assist at 3rd was once again the two best players squaring off with Basil once again coming out ahead. That situation was huge, it was the 5th inning with one out and that would have put runners at the corners with one out in a tied ball game. Huge game for this youngster!!!!
How I picked the winners:

First, I compiled the nominations, changing the RLTurner team nomination into one for its coach, as I believe a team almost always reflects its coach, and coaches often don’t get enough credit for performances like the one nominated. Next, I eliminated DMN players of the week (including honorable mentions) because my goal for this award is to recognize performances that may not get as much recognition as they deserve. Next, I selected 10 finalists. Finally, I tried to figure out how to pick a winner, couldn’t, and decided to give the award to all 10 of them!

Please note: I said I would send the winner a certificate of achievement, a framed poem, (I love Wal-Mart’s $2 frames) and my book. I’ve since learned that it could be a violation of UIL rules for a student-athlete to accept a gift valued at over $10 from me. Therefore, I substituted one of my booklets for the book. Titled Approach, Focus, or Attitude, these booklets are excerpts from the book. I sell them 3 for $10 at my seminars. Then, I added a coupon to buy my book at cost ($10 including S&H). I apologize for the change, but think this works best.

Note: I refuse to exclude someone because their talent is so HIGH. Just because a pitcher can throw 90 doesn’t mean he’ll put up zero after zero on the scoreboard. This may happen in northern states where guys don’t get to play as much baseball, but it takes great mental skills to complement those physical skills to do it here in Texas. One goal of the mental game: get in the zone and stay there!

CONGRATULATIONS to:

1. Ethan Stuckly, Pilot Point, 16-13 loss to Bridgeport. Stuckly was 5-for-5 with a single, two doubles, a triple and a home run.

2. Zak Hermans, a Coppell HS junior, who pitched a seven-inning no-hitter last night in Coppell's 2-0 win over Lewisville. His first varsity district start.

3. Trey Sorrells, McKinney North, 6-1 win vs. The Colony. He was 3-3 with 3 RBI and a double and threw out 3 base runners attempting to steal second.

4. Kylee Crosek, Denton Guyer softball, hit for the cycle and pitched a no-hitter Monday in a 14-0 win over Wichita Falls. Crosek then threw a two-hitter and was 3-for-3 with a double, triple, home run and four RBIs in Tuesday's 10-0 win vs. Denton. Crosek has reached base safely in 14 straight plate appearances.

5. LHP Colton Turner, Jr., Joshua HS
Pitched a no-hitter vs. Mineral Wells last night in a 6-0 win. He also hit a HR.

6. Fernando Hernandez, North Dallas HS, HR, 2 2Bs, W on the mound vs Thomas Jefferson.

7. Stephen Krolick, Keller, Save w/ a perfect 7th in a 3-2 win, grieving his grandfather.

8. Coach Herb Rios for his RL Turner Team being tied vs. Coppell into the seventh inning.

9. Taylor Gerhart, Saginaw HS
Friday, 3/7, pitched a one-hitter CG had 2 RBI in 4-0 win.
Tues., 3/11, pitched a 3 hitter CG and hit an RBI double in 2-0 win over rival Boswell, ended the game with 4 straight Ks.

10. Basil Badley, Sr, CF, P Mount Vernon HS (Alexandria, VA), HR, OF Assist in 5-4 win over rival West Potomoc. Next game: 4-4 with a walk-off triple in 7-6 win over Freedom HS.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.