Skip to main content

Son is a 2008 who recently received a letter from one of his favorite colleges. Packege included a form to be completed by one of his coaches, copies of the school's fall and spring baseball schedules, and the coach's suggestion that son arrange a visit to the school.

We are going to contact Admin to arrange a visit during the fall, but have a couple of questions. First, is it better to tour the campus on a weekday or weekend or does it matter? Second, is it okay for son to notify coach of when he'll be on campus for visit and/or game (since they may be on different days)?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keep in mind that I'm a newcomer to this process too ok? I honestly think asking a 2008 to come on a visit is a little premature. I mean, if your boy is a total stud (and he very well might be!) I can see them maybe wanting to get a jump on things. But he doesn't have just one HS season left but TWO! I'm not sure it's even within NCAA rules to meet with the coach on such a visit before next summer if it's not at a camp or a clinic. As far as I know they can send him printed materials but until after his junior year I don't think they can do much else in the way of recruiting. But you can go on as many unofficial visits as you want to check the school out as long as you pay for everything.
KmomNH,

Of course let the coach/staff know when you will be on campus and suggest meeting them.
Weekday or Weekend? Your preference.

If you are referring to NCAA, your son can visit the school as often as he likes, his JR YR, on his(your) dime and you may speak to the Coach/Staff while on campus. You may call the Coach/Staff as often as you like.

*They cannot Call you or your son till July 1st prior to SR YR.

*They cannot have off campus personal contact w/ you or your son till he attends his first class his SR YR. They are allowed to be cordial (say hello) as some prospects/prospects family members may previously know or have a relationship w/ coach/staff.

*They are allowed 3 contacts and 4 evaluations his SR YR. They may only call once per Week during his SR YR.

They may send your son correspondence as a JR.
They may (and some major D-I's do) have JR day on campus. They invite JR's to campus via mail.

Obviously check w/ NCAA. Above is all true if there have not been changes in the last two years.
If I am wrong please correct me or call NCAA.....
Low gives good information.

Call the school, most have weekend tours for campus visitation you can do on your own then hop over to see the coaches. The only time not allowed on campus ( I do believe)is during a dead period, which is right before official signing periods. Last spring on a weekend trip to see a game, there were many 2007's and 2008's, on their own time and dime. This is what they WANT you to do. The more you know about their program in advance the easier the decision will be.
TPM is right, a student can visit a college anytime he wants. There are no restrictions as long as it is an unofficial visit. We went during the weekends only because it was convenient. We didn’t call the coach simply because we wanted to see the campus, the town, and the baseball facilities and didn’t want to listen to a sales pitch. In almost all instances we were able to get into the baseball complex and see the facilities. If the player is taking an unofficial visit with the hopes of being recruited at that particular college then I would call the coach ahead of time.
Fungo
I will also point out that while formal, written NLI's can't be signed until Nov. of senior year, many top players will have "handshake" deals established months before that. If a player knows who his top choice is and they want him, it can be a relief to get things squared away and feel like you don't have to sweat the showcases, etc. for the coming summer.

In our area, I know of 2 '07's who orally committed to UVA in April of their junior years -- that is, over a year before they will graduate. Also, we just had another local '07 orally commit to Ga. Tech about a week ago. Those are just the ones I know of, there may be more locally, and there are definitely scores more across the country.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.