Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chris Correa worked under Luhnow.

He was promoted to Scouting Director in December of 2014 after the leak was already out.  I doubt he would have been promoted by the GM if he knew of this at the time.

Correa claims that he did indeed hack into the system, because he claims that information was taken from the Cardinals.  So he just came up with his on his own.

I understand that there are about 3-4 others still under questioning by the Cardinals.

Cardinal fans still blaming this whole fiasco on Luhnow. 

And here is the rest of the story....

http://www.chron.com/sports/as...mpid=twitter-desktop

Incredible.  Accessed Astros analytics departments database for 2 1/2 years.  Had email access hacked for five Astros analytics department emails addresses.  Read every email that Sig Mejdal, head of decision sciences wrote or read.  Tried to hack manager Bo Porter's and pitching coach Brent Strom email.  Looked at notes for trades with Cardinals.  Looked at Astros write ups of players for draft and trade.  Looked during the draft at the list of Astros ranked draft players.  Looked at suggested signing bonus.  Looked at analytics projects the Astros were working on.  Looked at players medical records. And more.

The Cardinals no 1 pick in 2013 (#19 overall) Marco Gonzalez was a highly rated player by the Astros.

Great shame in the land of the redbirds.  And rightfully so.

MLB will come down hard on the Cardinals.  Expect the Cardinals to lose multiple draft picks and millions in fines.

I think that the cards won't be punished hard. Correa was fired and there is no proof that the front office or even Mo knew from correas endevours.  The cards can claim that correa did it completely on his own.

I think it will be something like a first round pick and a fine.

I also don't think the astros will get compensated because if they got the cards pick the other AL west teams would protest.

You are kidding me arent you?  You dont need passwords to hack into email accounts.   After they open up the part of the testimony that is sealed, I think MLB is going to come down pretty hard.

Its tough to believe that no one else had knowledge to what he was doing.  

JMO

TPM posted:

You are kidding me arent you?  You dont need passwords to hack into email accounts.   After they open up the part of the testimony that is sealed, I think MLB is going to come down pretty hard.

JMO

From what I've seen, he wasn't doing this in the office. He was doing this at home (or his rental home during Spring Training). I think there may be some front office staff who receive minor suspensions that aren't really worth much.. but more of a good show. 

He was doing this at home for 2 years...lol...he knew what he was doing.

Then he sent info to news media embarrassing  the Astros and their players. I still believe he took the heat.

He was an employee of the organization, bad choice on their part and they should be penalized for that alone. Unfortunetly no one will ever know the truth which makes it bad for the Cardinals.

TPM posted:

JMO

The question is whether people above hin knew. Maybe someone knew but likely guys that were working under him in his department.

I think as long his department did it alone and his bosses did not know you cant really fault the cards front office for the crimes of a single person. Im sure he was not acting in accordance to cardinals SOPs.

Dominik85 posted:
TPM posted:

JMO

The question is whether people above hin knew. Maybe someone knew but likely guys that were working under him in his department.

I think as long his department did it alone and his bosses did not know you cant really fault the cards front office for the crimes of a single person. Im sure he was not acting in accordance to cardinals SOPs.

I'd say plausible deniability precautions were solidly in place to insulate the top Cardinals officials. I also think the team will be sanctioned pretty aggressively. MLB needs to send a message that cheating will be punished severely and the front office will be held accountable. J

SanDiegoRealist posted:

Houston has had one good season, couldn't repeat the 2015 magic in 2016. I think the punishment is more of a "let this lesson to you all" kind of message, which I think will be heard loud and clear. Should be interesting to see how this plays out down the road, with those two picks in particular 

Could embolden Houston now to pony up for one of the remaining high price (in prospect terms) starting pitchers that they very much need.  Best projected offense in baseball by fangraphs, I believe.

hsbaseball101 posted:

That's a stiff punishment.  I just think Correa should've gotten much more prison time...double what he got.  

Well 2m and a second and third rounder is not really that much of a penalty. I wonder if the cards got a whistle to sign away their first round pick for compensation so they did not have to forfeit a first rounder.

Cards might have signed fowler anyway but the fine really made this move pay off because they didn't lose a first round pick.

Dominik85 posted:
hsbaseball101 posted:

That's a stiff punishment.  I just think Correa should've gotten much more prison time...double what he got.  

Well 2m and a second and third rounder is not really that much of a penalty. I wonder if the cards got a whistle to sign away their first round pick for compensation so they did not have to forfeit a first rounder.

Cards might have signed fowler anyway but the fine really made this move pay off because they didn't lose a first round pick.

Fangraphs agrees with you. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs...for-the-astros-hack/

From CBS News -

Christopher Correa had pleaded guilty in January to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer from 2013 to at least 2014, the same year he was promoted to director of baseball development in St. Louis. He was fired last summer and now faces 46 months behind bars and a court order to pay $279,038 in restitution. He had faced up to five years in prison on each count

So you get 4 years for stealing baseball secrets and 7 for stealing government secrets.  Perhaps they could give him a cell with Manning - wait .....maybe he'll get pardoned too. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.