Skip to main content

I will start off by saying I know nothing of catchers gear. I only played first base through college, and never paid attention, lol. My son is now 13 and is catching on a 15u team. Last year he wore the Allstar gear for little league and on his blocks he often felt the pitches in the dirt, the kids are just throwing that hard, and his body hasnt quite caught up. But man can he block a pitch. He was wanting some new gear for the spring and I saw this add on ebay, and we found one in a store. He loved it because it was hard and didnt think he would feel it. Would this be ok to use? Or is there something else that has a hard plate over the chest area. Any help is much appreciated. Here is the ebay link and I have no knowledge of the seller, just using the link. Champro Chest protector
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The chest protector you linked to is designed for umpires, not catchers. It might protect your son well enough, but it doesn't look like the design would allow for the full range of motion that a catcher would need (such as throwing down to 2nd base).

I have two boys (ages 13 & 16) who catch and they both love their All-Star gear. My younger son uses the CP1216APRO (http://all-starsports.com/products.php?prod=24) and the older one just upgraded from the CP28PRO to the CP30PRO (http://all-starsports.com/products.php?prod=20). Both have nothing but high praise for their chest protectors.

I've lurked around on this board for quite a while and have pretty much only read good things about All-Star gear. You didn't say which model chest protector your son was using, but if it's an older one (or designed for younger players) maybe it's just time to upgrade.

Good luck!
This is off topic, but I wish someone had told us when my son was younger to get a good cup. He had to endure a cracked plastic cup before we wised up. He wears a stainless cup now.

Hope you don't mind the volunteered info, but with your son playing up, I thought I'd try to spare your son the experience my son had when he was 15!
My son's first set of catcher's gear was the cheap Rawlings gear from SA.He used it for a couple of years and it served well. When he started getting serious/better at the position,I got him Mizuno gear.He absolutely love it. He will eat anything in the chest no matter how hard the pitcher is throwing. After the inning,I ask him if that block hurt.He tells me he can't even feel the ball hit him.He has tried just about every brand except All-Star and prefers his Mizuno.I have heard alot of good things about All-Star but I haven't seen anyone in our area using them to try out.
Check out the Nike and All-Star catching gear. It is my recommendation for the players I coach and work with.

I especially like the All-Star helmets (best you can get) and the Nike chest protector due to it's flatter blocking surface when compared to other brands.

Most kids I see are either going entirely with All-Star or go All-Star helmet with Nike chest and leg guards.
Most brands make multiple styles and quality levels of catchers gear. For chest protectors, the more expensive models typically feature a better quality foam - a type that will "deaden" the ball better. If you press your fingers into them, the indentation stays longer. This gives the catcher better ability to keep blocked balls close in front. You don't want "stiffer" as the ball will deflect further away. So, it's not the brand, but which model within the brand. Also, getting one that fits best is critical.

Many young catchers/parents buy chest protectors too big thinking this will provide more protection and growing room. You want adequate protection, but you also need a close fit and mobility.

All helmets are properly safety approved (NOCSAE) - as someone mentioned earlier, lightweight and visibility are key. Again, this usually is dictated by price more than brand.

As far as MLB exposure, that's a player contract issue and does not dictate one brand being better than the other. Some brands such as Rawlings and Nike are more willing to pay pro athletes to wear their gear than others.
Last edited by cabbagedad
twotex,
Yes, in some instances, catchers will have their favorite gear and stick with it no matter what. But this, too, is definitely a business. Most companies will look at MLB exposure as an advertising expense and pay players (some quite a bit more than others) to wear their gear. They will sometimes take gear to Spring Training, etc. and ask players to try their bats, gloves, gear, etc. If players find the gear comparable or better than what they use, the negotiations begin.
If his normal chest protector isn't working well enough to make him comfortable, you can check out Evoshield products. They make a plate that molds to your body that may help.

My 12yo son was his team's primary catcher this season. I took him to buy new gear as he had outgrown his old stuff. He ended up picking out an Easton helmet, All Star chest protector, and Schutt Scorpion shin guards. He had his reasons why each was the best for him. He'll take comfort over appearance. (At least they are all the same color...)

He also wears an Easton TorsoTection shirt, which helps absorb impact, while not being bulky. I'm not sure how much it helped him behind the plate, but he sure was happy to be wearing it when he took a pitch off of the hip pad while batting...
quote:
Originally posted by rsn_mw:
The chest protector you linked to is designed for umpires, not catchers. It might protect your son well enough, but it doesn't look like the design would allow for the full range of motion that a catcher would need (such as throwing down to 2nd base).!

That is correct, the protector in the link is an umpire model....it is a knock off of the Honigs K-1 model. I do not know many serious umpires who do anything above rec ball that would wear Champro gear.

also because of the hard plates, It would not be good for a catcher to wear umpire gear as the ball will rebound a good ways...I have had a ball fouled off my Wilson Platimum chest protector that was caught by the third baseman.....on the fly....
Thanks guys, didnt think about the hardness making it bounce further away. I was just thinking of protection....he loves his Easton torsion shirt as well. I have to base our choices so much on your recommendations, there is really no where around here that carries good catchers equipment, so we will have to get in online when the time comes. So keepem coming.
Well we went to today to try stuff on. This is what he loved:
Helmet-Allstar 2500 Sys7/ Under Armour UAHG2-loved these helmets and they are the same it appears
Chest protector-Schutt Scorpian, then the Easton Speed,Stealth, etc....He liked how the Schutt Scorpian fit him and felt on, liked the foam feel on the Easton gear. But if he had to choose he said he wanted the Schutt Scorpian
Shin Guards- Schutt Scorpian triple, then it was a toss up between the AllStar Pros, Under A's ualg2 and the Easton Stealth stuff, he just wants gell in the knee caps, he tried them all by imitating a block on the concrete floors of the stores and just wants gel in the knees, lol....so thats a toss up. He did like the way the Schutt fastened up.....so looks like we will have a mixture of items, lol. What ever is comfortable for him and will work. I just havent seen much stuff written about the schutt products, I know he loved their shoulder pads in football till he got his gear 2000 pads....maybe they will work.
OK we have it narrowed down to two companies,
set 1:
AllStar Pro 2500tt (duo tone helmet)
Mizuno G2 16" chest protector
Mizuno G2 Intermediate G2 shin guards

All Star Pro 2500tt (duo tone helmet)
All Star system 7 cp1216s7 chest protector
All Star system 7 lg1216s7 shin guards

Same helmet on both sets, he has tried on a ton and this one helmet has felt the best. He likes the Mizuno due to the wrap around style, but I like the allstar for the collar bone protection. Anyone have any thoughts on these two sets?

Thanks
quote:
fit, comfort and mobility.
No one will notice whether the brands match top to bottom.

I agree. Last year my son was exactly where yours is this year-including playing up and catching 15s. He went with a mix (Rawlings helmet and shin guards, Easton Stealth chest protector). Everything matched fine and the fit was the most important thing.

The only problem we had was with the "adult" rather than the "senior league" shin guards. Even though they were the right length they didn't fit his legs well and the extra toe flap flopped around too much (we ended up cutting it off).
Ok I thought we had it narrowed down, lol. Now he has been looking at a Rawlings 950x set, he watched the poron xrd video on youtube, and thinks it will protect him better. Has anyone on here ever used the Rawlings 950x. I watched the commercial myself, and understand the theory, but, it being so thin, does it really protect as well as the videos? Thanks for all yalls help. If this dont work we are going allstar. Im tired. lol.
From my first post...
"For chest protectors, the more expensive models typically feature a better quality foam - a type that will "deaden" the ball better. If you press your fingers into them, the indentation stays longer. This gives the catcher better ability to keep blocked balls close in front. You don't want "stiffer" as the ball will deflect further away. So, it's not the brand, but which model within the brand. Also, getting one that fits best is critical. "
Same applies... Poron is just Rawlings' fancy name for their better foam. No better or worse than the other brands' better stuff.
Fit, comfort, mobility. They'll all protect more than adequately.
Now hurry up and buy before the kid is too old to bend down and catch.

This has been fun, but as a side note, it may benefit you to put more emphasis on the operator and less on the equipment. I've seen plenty of kids get too hung up on gear and use this as a focal point, crutch or excuse instead of taking the attitude that they can play well under any circumstances, with any gear, at any time. JMO and hopefully something you find useful.
quote:
Originally posted by twotex:
This is off topic, but I wish someone had told us when my son was younger to get a good cup. He had to endure a cracked plastic cup before we wised up. He wears a stainless cup now.

So true my son, a freshman in HS, made the team and the first practice did a bullpen with a junior throwing 85+ and he felt it. Went out that night a got the Shock doctor titanium cup. The best investment we made. LOL

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.