Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My knowledge is quite limited since my son is a h.s. senior. However, I'll share the little I have heard.

A friend is married to a college professor who has tutored D1 baseball players struggling in his classes. One player told him he spends about 30 hours per week on baseball. (Not sure if this is year-round or only at certain times.)

During a visit at a D1, the coaches told us that their players spend about 20 hours per week in the fall on baseball and "much more" in the spring. However, I don't think the fall hours take into account the "optional" activities (weight-lifting, etc.) that the players are highly encouraged to partake in. In fact, they are basically told, "You need to lift weights by tomorrow's practice." I asked how often players are expected to lift weights and was told, "4 times a week. But we have trouble keeping our players out of the weightroom. Some go there every day. We have to monitor them to make sure they don't do too much to prevent injuries from occurring."

A friend with a son who has played D1 ball said if you can make it through the fall, you can make it through anything. Apparently, the fall workouts can be pretty grueling, especially for freshmen.
Fielder, that’s a good question but it probably doesn’t have a “one size fits all” answer. Infield08 has a pretty good description of how I thought it was. I think the key factor here is each player’s academic workload. In my son’s case he was focused more on baseball rather than academics so baseball was more of an enjoyment and not demanding at all. He never complained at all about the baseball schedule and I’m sure his SEC school demanded as much, if not more, from their players than most colleges. On occasion he would complain that the meager 12-14 hrs academic workload was interfering with his “college experience” but he managed to survive. Academic advisors help schedule classes which allow practice/playing times to coexist with classes. Missing classes because of travel to "away series" did have to be made up which is a little tough during the season. It helps to have a professor that is athlete friendly. (Advisors help here).
Unless a player has chosen a very demanding major, I think the real conflict in college will not be so much athletic vs. academic as it will be study time vs. social time. Colleges have academic requirements in order for athletes to compete therefore coaches and athletic advisors monitor the athletes and take action to ensure their eligibility. I know in my son’s case his being a ball player actually helped him meet a certain level of academic excellence (I use that word loosely) Big Grin that may have not happened had he been a non-athlete. They have plenty of time ---- they just need to learn how to manage it.
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
quote:
Originally posted by fielder:
Son, 08 graduate, has given a verbal commitment to a D1-we've talked to the coaches about his schedule. Just be interested in a parent's viewpoint how demanding the baseball schedule is during the school year(fall, winter, spring).

Baseball, no matter which level you play puts demands upon all players. All coaches have their way of doing things. Since they never expected son to go beyond a third year, they piled it on him each semester. 15-18 credits.

As in Fungo's sons case, son had an athletic advisor that worked strictly with the baseball team, and that certainly helped quite a bit. And Fungo is correct, I found the same, baseball actually helped to make mine a better student, where he might not have otherwise because no one was looking over his shoulder (coach, advisor) when red flags went up. Every few weeks teh coach got an academic report on your progress in school, if you didn't show up for a class, or grades weren't good, meet coach in his office for a sit down and back to study hall. He expressed his philosophy during our visit and that was an important factor in the decision.

In my opinion, spring is tough. You still have to do all the same things you did in the fall, go to class, study, tests, exams, workout, practice but now there are games and travel involved. Many times this means late night arrivals back home and getting up for a test the next day. Friday was a light day (very) and the professor had to know IN ADVANCE if he would not be attending and that paper went back to the advisor. It was son's responsibility to make sure any work was made up.
Last edited by TPM
My son is freshman at a California D1. Reported to his dorm in mid-August and after a few days of orientation began the fall schedule. He has baseball players living next door and across from him..and his roommate was on the team (subsequently quit). Freshman players are scattered over campus. They begin every day with some kind of workout for the pitchers. 5am either in weights or running at the nearby football stadium. Then they have yoga until 730. Then my son has a 8-9am class 3/days/week. Usually he goes back to his room to sleep. Two days a week he has a 10-12 class. Then baseball practice 1-5pm. One day a week he has a 7-10pm class. Saturdays they practice in the afternoon. Sundays he umps for the college's high school fall ball league. Son is taking 12 units of academnics, 1 unit of study hall. I'd say 30 hours per week of baseball is about right. Maybe a bit more. Dorm life was an adjustment. Sleep is hard to come by. He catches up during the day when everybody is gone. Weekends are for homework and a bit of social life. This fall experience might be to cull the weak...it has been a huge adjustment from high school. I have no idea what it will be like in the actual season.
New that is pretty typical of a college experience. In soph year my son and some of his teammates started working at the cafeteria and also seemed to fit lots of social things in.
Most college teams work the field after games and practices. They also work the tournaments held on their campus.
This year the coach has dropped Sat workouts and gives the team their weekends to enjoy. They still do some gym work on their own.
The spring semester is the real test of academic success. They miss tons of classes and it often is 1 or 2 courses that get hit the most. Makes it difficult to take an exam when you have missed half the classes. Often they have very little time to catch up if any.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo:
...that’s a good question but it probably doesn’t have a “one size fits all” answer.

I think that is probably a key point in all of this.

From my observation with our own son, I think the Spring term has been the toughest. Road games, missing classes, studying in airports or on buses or in a hotel room with 24 other college players nearby with cabin fever.

But I think one of the very hardest things is to be able to "come down" from an emotional high after a big game and hit the books...or harder yet, to recover from a very tough day on the field and find some level of concentration to get your schoolwork done. I really find it hard to understand how they do it but I see it as a very important attribute/skill that is invaluable in the real world.
Fielder,
won't kid ya, the schedule is difficult. Your son will learn time management or he will struggle. If you have the passion you can do it. Most kids don't realize how much time is involved in the fall when compared to HS. Let me tell you......it is work. Example: 6:00am wieghts, class 8 to 12ish..lunch, practice 2-4ish....dinner.....6-7pm "volunteer" workouts" study hall 8-10pm.

You either love it or soon hate it and quit and become a student. My son is now a senior and loves it and is a better man for it. He hasn't had near the social life of other students but in his case has been well worth it and witnessing the transformation from a 18 yr old HS kid to a 22 yr old man has made me realize he will have no trouble once he hits the real world. Enjoy the ride
My son is in his Sophmore year at a D1 and the time demands are significant, which is probably typical for most. I don't think the time difference between fall and spring is all that much since in the fall there's more weight lifting, running, etc., in addition to field work and in spring there's the game schedule and travel. I'm guessing he puts 30-40 hours a week into the baseball program on and off the field, then carries a full academic load. He has a decent social life but it does revolve around the baseball team and their extended network of friends. There's simply no time to get involved in other outside activities that would draw him into other circles of people outside the team and classmates. This fall they are practicing Sat & Sun so he can't come home for short visits over the weekend. We go see him once a month or so, but even then it's only for a few hours after games/scrimmages, going to dinner, hanging out in our room together for a few hours. Our family vacation in August was the first time in a the past year we got to see him for more than a couple days since he only stopped at home long enough to wash clothes, re-pack, and see a few friends between regionals and summer ball and was home for one day during Easter. He was back at school three days after we got home from vacation.

I honestly don't know how a kid in a demanding major could pull it off unless he's just a stud student. It takes very good time management skills and someone who clearly prioritizes the social scene way behind academics and baseball. A party animal that burns the candle at both ends will eventually slip on both grades and performance on the field. I remember a couple years ago watching a game at Pepperdine and talking to a gentleman in the stands who was clearly a Waves fan. Turns out he was a law professor at the school. I asked him if he was there to cheer on any of his students. He gives me this long quizzical look, and then just stated matter-of-factly "my students don't have time for baseball".

One thing is for sure. HS Parents don't have any illusions of doing college baseball for scholarship money since a kid would earn more money through a real job with fewer hours and less stress. College baseball is all about loving the sport of baseball and wanting that as a focal point in your life. If a kid doesn't have the burning passion for the game he just won't survive the time pressures and sacrifices.
Last edited by pbonesteele
quote:
College baseball is all about loving the sport of baseball and wanting that as a focal point in your life. If a kid doesn't have the burning passion for the game he just won't survive the time pressures and sacrifices.

pbsteele - nice post as always.

I have said this many times before but imho being on the baseball team is an advantage for the player/student. Basically, they do not have time to get into trouble and the coaches act as surrogate parents to ensure they learn how to study. I am guessing that most kids that have enough ambition to find themselves on a college roster somewhere will also have enough motiviation to succeed in the classroom as well as on the field.
quote:
17.4.1.2-(c) During any week in which practice or competition occurs, a student-athlete’s involvement in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week
and all countable athletically related activities are prohibited during one calendar day per week
tho I AM sure it must seem like 40 hrs at times Wink

and agree that the offseason can be demanding if not managed well, but hardly overwhelming ...

there are plenty of regular students who work 20+ hrs per week in addition to their academics ...

there are intramural athletes who put that much time into their sport just for the fun of it ...

heck there are those that play X-Box waaay more than 20 hrs per week ... Big Grin
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
quote:
17.4.1.2-(c) During any week in which practice or competition occurs, a student-athlete’s involvement in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week
and all countable athletically related activities are prohibited during one calendar day per week
tho I AM sure it must seem like 40 hrs at times Wink

and agree that the offseason can be demanding if not managed well, but hardly overwhelming ...

there are plenty of regular students who work 20+ hrs per week in addition to their academics ...

there are intramural athletes who put that much time into their sport just for the fun of it ...

heck there are those that play X-Box waaay more than 20 hrs per week ... Big Grin

Interesting point BEE
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
The key word is "Countable". There are things like 4 on 1 and self directed workouts that are used to get the workouts in.
I have always been amazed at that rule but the teams have ways to get around it.

It is interesting that 4 on 1's would not count toward the limit.

My question is how the NCAA with the new start date schedule could think that you can play 5 games a week and be under 20 hours per week with possibly a double header not taking more than 4 hours
Not till next year.

Many BB players run their own practices based on volutary participation.

17.02.13 Voluntary Athletically Related Activities. In order for any athletically related activity to be
considered “voluntary,” all of the following conditions must be met: (Adopted: 4/18/01)
(a) The student-athlete must not be required to report back to a coach or other athletics department staff member
(e.g., strength coach, trainer, manager) any information related to the activity. In addition, no athletics
department staff member who observes the activity (e.g., strength coach, trainer, manager) may report back
to the student-athlete’s coach any information related to the activity;
(b) The activity must be initiated and requested solely by the student-athlete. Neither the institution nor any
athletics department staff member may require the student-athlete to participate in the activity at any time.
However, it is permissible for an athletics department staff member to provide information to student-athletes
related to available opportunities for participating in voluntary activities (e.g., times when the strength
and conditioning coach will be on duty in the weight room or on the track). In addition, for students who
have initiated a request to engage in voluntary activities, the institution or an athletics department staff member
may assign specific times for student-athletes to use institutional facilities for such purposes and inform
the student-athletes of the time in advance;
(c) The student-athlete’s attendance and participation in the activity (or lack thereof ) may not be recorded for
the purposes of reporting such information to coaching staff members or other student-athletes; and
(d) The student-athlete may not be subjected to penalty if he or she elects not to participate in the activity. In
addition, neither the institution nor any athletics department staff member may provide recognition or incentives
(e.g., awards) to a student-athlete based on his or her attendance or performance in the activity.
[Note: Coaching staff members may be present during permissible skill-related instruction pursuant to Bylaw
17.1.6.2.2] (Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04)
4 on ones are countable as is conditioning outside of the 45 day "team practice" window ...
quote:
A student-athlete’s participation in such activities per Bylaw 17.02.1 shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than two hours per week spent on skill-related workouts.

lifting/conditioning should be technicaly voluntary and not countable during the 45 day window

"groundskeeping/field work" .. that would fit the countable definition, but most only tarp & untarp anyway

quote:
I may have to tell my kid to stop seeing the trainer ...
what does SHE (trainer) look like?
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
4 on ones are countable as is conditioning outside of the 45 day "team practice" window ...
quote:

Obviously that they are......just jerking Bobble's Head

[QUOTE] I may have to tell my kid to stop seeing the trainer ...
what does SHE (trainer) look like?

They (female trainers) are pretty good looking, not to mention the women's s****r team, which tends to be there as well Smile
Last edited by Homerun04
quote:
Originally posted by redstormdad:
I doubt there are Compliance Police in the NCAA, but if there's a complaint to them someone's going to ask a few questions towards the school's AD!

TG says: Who's going to complain? A player who doesn't like working out so much? They better be heading out the front gate fully packed
you're couldn't be further off the mark ...
alot of good un-employed AD's AND coaches in all sports asked that same question Frown

who's going to complain?? ... hmmm, let's start with a conference rival coach,

transfer SA,

rival alum,

rival parent,

rival booster,

rival student,

pst off parent,

pst off player,

pst off booster,

pst off prof,

& on, & on, & on ...

actually alot of scandals begin (unintended) by innocent public comments just talking or
bragging-up a player or program, so careful what ya write about how YOUR team bends the rules

back when, before this site was so well visited, we had a regular poster whose son is much older innocently brag in detail inc/names a likely major infraction regarding his son's recruitment.

his posts suddenly disappeared & I forget the rest

and then add the "ncaa compliance police"
Last edited by Bee>
just sayin'... one would be mistaken if thinking a school's own compliance offices' mission is to work with coaches to take advantage of grey areas or get "cute" with coach's subjective interpretations to circumvent the intent of compliance rules.Frown

AND, wading thru the mountains of ncaa docs leaves little/no room for re-defining what their intent is Wink

their job is NOT to debate w/coaches OR w/the ncaa in coaches behalf Eek

it isn't LL where ya can re-define a situation to your benefit and then convince others that ya haven't
Last edited by Bee>
Whether optional, suggested or mandatory, most of these kids, I assume, will do what they feel is necessary to compete at the highest level they can.

Prior to the start of classes, sons program had them all evaluated to determine any physical weak points. These strength/balance tests provided the conditioning coach a basis for respective individual winter workouts.

If a baseball coach tells a kid to try and shave a tenth off his running time between Fallball and the start of practice because they plan on running him at every opportunity, what the coach is actually telling the player is that he should be prepared to contribute.

Whether or not he shaves that running time down, the mere effort will only benefit the player further. It is also a good way for a coach to determine self motivation of a player.

In talking with several players, and I am sure this is common with all of them, is that they would prefer to not stop practicing at all. Mine for sure already called his summer coach/hitting instructor to arrange his every Sunday drills program in the interim before the February official start of practice.

The other point on time spent, and that it is no big deal. Many college baseball players are multi-sport athletes. They are use to being conditioned and competitive all year long.

In high school, they had similar schedules as they do now in college. Go to class, go to practice, come home and eat and study, hang with some friends, have a date. Not really much different.

The coach sets the table during the allowed period as to what is recommended after the allowable days are consumed. Go to any college baseball hitting cage during this down time in the afternoon. I would bet it is full with a long line waiting.
If I remember correctly that parent came on and spoke about his son's transfer during summer while playing summer ball. The next thing you know there was a call to the NCAA regarding infractions, which did not occur. There was no contact with teh coach until after his release. I do beleive he left here because of his disgust that someone here would make a call to the NCAA. BTW, this happens often, a player gets in tight with some players during summer ball and the next thing you know they transfer.

I am sure that there are many many coaches that find ways to bend the rules for practice, that was a reason why there are new practice rules.

I remember when son was a freshman, it seemed to me like he spent 30-40 hours a week at baseball, but in actuality he didn't. It's sometimes the perception that we perceive. Between 4 on 1 instruction, practice, running, workouts, cages, bullpens it may seem like 30-40 hours a week. Also players put in hours in the gym and cages than required, on their own time. That can be misunderstood if taken out of context. But Bee brings up a good point, things posted on a message bored can be easily misundertood.

Getting back to the original post, college baseball is a huge commitment, but a good coach should never put pressure on a player to do more than is required. Most of the time the player puts pressure on themselves.

My son was one of those who never did more than he had to on the field. It didn't make him any better or worse. We sent him off to college for three reasons, go to class, study and get a degree, play baseball and enjoy the college experience, in that order. He set his own priorities once he adjusted. He found a balance to get the most out of his experience, which was an equal distribution of the three mentioned above.
Last edited by TPM
TPW,

I couldn't agree with you more. They should be focusing on their education. Baseball got them there, but their education will last a lifetime. Although some programs may fudge on their Fall workouts, Bobblehead points out a good example of the other time committment these players have beyond the classroom and field. They need to mature into good citizens and their baseball program & college can be a guiding light for them to be just that.
quote:
Originally posted by redstormdad:
TPWTPM,

I couldn't agree with you more. They should be focusing on their education. Baseball got them there, but their education will last a lifetime. Although some programs may fudge on their Fall workouts, Bobblehead points out a good example of the other time committment these players have beyond the classroom and field. They need to mature into good citizens and their baseball program & college can be a guiding light for them to be just that.

Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.