Skip to main content

1) The OSU was better at every position with the possible exception of QB.

2) How in the world did Urban Meyer put that team together in just 3 years? How does one coach make that big of an impact?

3) Very hard to tell how good Ezekiel Elliott really is. (No one laid a hand on him.)

4) Where will those three OSU QBs be next year?

5) There have to be at least a dozen future NFL players on the field.

6) I have no idea whether or not Mariota will be a star in the NFL.

As an Ohio guy, so much fun to watch the Buckeye run!  So many great athletes and team speed.  Should be pre-season #1 next year.  Rumors have Braxton heading to the SEC or ACC.  He is not as good as either of the two younger QB's, so he needs to find another place to play.  Urban Meyer is a great recruiter, developer, and motivator. Mariota will be a bust in the NFL.  Too bad the baseball at OSU isn't very good.  Go Bucks!

I don't understand how anyone can make the bold statement Mariotta will be an NFL bust based on one game where his offensive line didn't do the job. He has the arm, brains and presence. How many full games have you seen him play? One, last night? His numbers were still good while he tried to do it all himself.

The biggest problem Mariotta and Winston are going to have at the next level is being drafted by rudderless 2-14 teams in freefall and fans expecting them to be saviors.

Not many NFL teams want to or can run that speed offense that has made Mariotta successful, but I think he'll be more successful than Winston. He makes some fairly difficult throws while on the run - although some of those would be pick 6's in the NFL.

Winston is very talented, but I wonder about all the stuff that goes on around him and keep thinking that in the end it'll be his undoing. Especially with the spotlight that the NFL is now placing on 'stuff' that happens 'outside the game'...

OSU's Jones seems to have fit into a system perfectly - his size compared to the other two QB's helped the OC cut down the number of times a "stretch play" would be called and just forced the defense to beat the O-Line at the point of attack between the tackles which not many could do. Pick your poison - RB or QB to double with your best LB and the ball went the other way so many times. Couple that with the arm strength and ability of #9 to get open - made for a very difficult game plan...

Glad that there *was* a game and in the end it really didn't matter to me who won

Two things impressed me in the National Championship.  Ezekial Elliot and the Ohio State offensive line.  Those guys will be playing on Sundays in a few years.  That game was won in the trenches and Oregon was absolutely man-handled by that OL.

Mariotta will be given a shot in the NFL by someone.  I question his arm strength relative to guys like Jones, and Winston.  When you see guys like Rodgers, Kapernick, Stafford, Brady, Newton throw the ball....it makes you go "whoa". Jones has a few years to develop into that "whoa-type" NFL QB if he earns the starting QB at Ohio State next year.   There is alot to be said for young man who has the maturity to not to try to do everything himself under the bright spot light of a national championship.  Jones looks awkward at times but he just started in his 3rd college game.   He did an amazing job in an amazing situation. 

I am really baffled and intrigued by the Cardale Jones situation.  There has been much documented about his behavioral and maturity issues.  He was almost kicked off the team on multiple occasions this year alone.  Yet his on-field and off-field composure over the last six weeks has been remarkable.  While key events can transform people, maturation is not a "light switch" process.  I'm very curious to see how things play out.

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

I am really baffled and intrigued by the Cardale Jones situation.  There has been much documented about his behavioral and maturity issues.  He was almost kicked off the team on multiple occasions this year alone.  Yet his on-field and off-field composure over the last six weeks has been remarkable.  While key events can transform people, maturation is not a "light switch" process.  I'm very curious to see how things play out.

There has been talk that Jones, is eligible for the draft. He has came out and said he will not look at the draft, because he wants to get his degree first. So maybe he is growing, or he has been taught the right thing to say. 

I am also interested to see how the QB situation plays out. Cardale at one point was the number two QB, until right before Barret took over. I am not sure if Barret just beat him out or it was some of his maturity issues. Cardale came to campus very over weight and pudgy, He was not able to get through the first few practices. He has clearly cleared up his conditioning issues. 

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

There has been talk that Jones, is eligible for the draft. He has came out and said he will not look at the draft, because he wants to get his degree first. So maybe he is growing, or he has been taught the right thing to say. 

I am also interested to see how the QB situation plays out. Cardale at one point was the number two QB, until right before Barret took over. I am not sure if Barret just beat him out or it was some of his maturity issues. Cardale came to campus very over weight and pudgy, He was not able to get through the first few practices. He has clearly cleared up his conditioning issues. 

This is the kid who tweeted going to class is a joke. I'll bet he's been taught what to say since. He should turn pro. There's an incredible NFL demand for QBs and short supply. His stock will never be higher. I bet he would at least be a second round pick. He won't go this high if he goes back to school and sits.

Last edited by RJM

I'd love to see the kid go out for the draft.  We have crap for quarterbacks (Johnny Goofball) here in Cleveland and he just might slide far enough in the draft for us to get him.  You can't coach 6-5, 250, good athletic ability, and a cannon for an arm.  He also seems to be a pretty good "on-field" decision-maker given the type of defenses he has faced in his "brief" career.

Originally Posted by RJM:

This is the kid who tweeted going to class is a joke. I'll bet he's been taught what to say since. He should turn pro. There's an incredible NFL demand for QBs and short supply. His stock will never be higher. I bet he would at least be a second round pick. He won't go this high if he goes back to school and sits.

RJM, the tweet was from a fake account.  Didn't even spell his name right in the twitter handle.  And the tweet was from 2012.

Originally Posted by Go44dad:
Originally Posted by RJM:

RJM, the tweet was from a fake account.  Didn't even spell his name right in the twitter handle.  And the tweet was from 2012.  that's how I read the tweeet.

Ummmm.....yes, it was a real tweet:

"I remember I was in class, and I think I got, like, a B on a [sociology] exam," Jones said. "It was just something so stupid; of course I didn't feel that way about academics, and I don't. Nobody in this program feels that way, we actually take that stuff very serious around here.

"It was just a dumbass thing to do. I definitely didn't think that would happen. It was just a stupid thing to do at that time. It was something where I just got pissed because I studied my ass off."

As a HUGE Buckeye fan (back to the days of Bruce), I was glad he owned the comment and didn't try to make any excuses.

The Jones situation is interesting.  The guy has played 3 college games and some think he can go in the second round of the NFL draft??!!  I don't.  OTOH, with that body and that arm he could go in the 5th round or so and be a legit prospect/backup for somebody.  Just on arm strength alone; the guy can flick his wrist and send the ball 40 yards.  I think he should stay in school. There's first round bonus money for him for sure if he can win and keep the starting job at OSU next year.  I'm all for kids cashing in when  the opportunity is there but in this case I think staying put is worth the risk.

Unless NFL teams are talking to his "advisors" about 1st a round selection (and the money that comes with it), I would like to see him stay in school.  He needs more time.

Next year will be very interesting for OSU.  IMO, if JT Barrett can stay healthy, he projects better as a next-level QB (better at reading defense and seeing third route receiver), but Cardale Jones fits MUCH better into the Urban Meyer offensive style (big body, big arm).  Braxton Miller needs to transfer to Oregon.  Tough break for him, but that's life.

The reason he could be a second round pick is the NFL demand for quarterbacks (about twelve) and the lack of supply (about four in first two rounds) combined with his potential. It doesn't mean he would be an immediate starter. If he returns to Ohio State and doesn't start he drops to round 5-7 when he comes out.

Cardale Jones is headed back to Ohio State.  I saw his press conference and he is an impressive, thoughtful young man.  Said he was flattered about the NFL prospects but said that getting his degree was more important.  Said that when/if he goes pro, he wanted to devote full time to that task and not have to worry about getting his degree.  He is scheduled to graduate with a degree in financial planning next fall.  Nice story. 

So if he wins the job as the starter next season and the Bucks repeat.  If his performance is anywhere near as impressive as he was in the title run his reward will be to be a top pick next spring.

So that means he gets to be on the Jags, Raiders, Skins, Jets or Bucs in all likelihood. I wager the odds on one of these five being in position to be very high.  Some reward. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.