Skip to main content

I realize every school is different. And, I realize that many players get out of dorms as soon as they can live off campus. But, many schools require freshmen to live in dorms. And, I'm curious on your experience here with respect to being a baseball player, living in dorms, and breaks and semester end.

Many schools send the kids home for spring break and lock up the dorms. But, baseball players usually have games during spring break. So, for those in dorms at your son's school, where did they live during spring break?

How about at the end of the spring semester? School might end and dorms might close, with kids moving out, but your baseball team could still be playing. For those in dorms, where did they live in this situation and who paid for it?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Spring break:  there was a process to request to stay in dorms, for any student, not just for athletes (I googled this and it seems quite common at many schools) - so the baseball team all put in these requests.  Good point about spring break trips, though.

Post-exam:  the school put the team up (i.e. paid) in dorms, but not the same rooms that they had all year.

My son's team went on a spring break trip so the dorm was not an issue for spring break.  His team made it to the D3 College World Series this year.  The semester ended on May 7th but the team was still playing until June 4th.  Son was not on the travel roster but the team took any of the guys who wanted to go to every series at no cost - he elected to come home after the Regionals.  I moved him out of the dorm around the 25th of May.  We didn't have to pay any extra money for him to stay in the dorm.  He would have had to pay for food if he had used the dining hall but the team fed the guys lunch and dinner every day (again no additional cost to us.)   My son did say the assistant coach told the guys "I want to make this the most expensive season ever!"  His wish came true.

From my sons' experiences the dorms didn't close for the breaks. They WERE closed between semesters. I imagine your question here would apply for the winter sports (like hockey) that play games between semesters.

As for the end of spring semester (the year my son's team made NCAAs) they had to move into another dorm that combined athletes from sports that were still playing.

Last edited by Ripken Fan

Playing for a northern team, my son is always playing down south during spring break so never an issue.  As for the end of the semester, they were allowed to stay in their dorms until the end of the regular season, but when they made the CWS Regionals, the freshman who were still playing were moved into the college apartments and the athletic department paid for their expenses.

In juco (frosh/soph) I don't know if they could have lived off campus, but the dorms are free. Plus, I wouldn't say that most Texas juco's are located in "garden spots". With my son entering D1, he rented a house with 3 other players (another juco transfer and two established seniors) and really enjoyed it (they're all still very tight). However, he did say that coming in as a junior and not experiencing the team connection of living in the dorms contributes to make transfer's outsiders initially (that and the possibility of taking somebody's spot).

@Ripken Fan posted:

From my sons' experiences the dorms didn't close for the breaks. They WERE closed between semesters. I imagine your question here would apply for the winter sports (like hockey) that play games between semesters.

As for the end of spring semester (the year my son's team made NCAAs) they had to move into another dorm that combined athletes from sports that were still playing.

Exactly the scenario we had

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.