Skip to main content

ASU tops the 2008 recruiting class, it looks like Georgia has shed many of their recruits:

Collegiate Baseball newspaper’s

Collegiate Baseball’s 2008 Recruiting Results
(As of Sept. 23, 2008)
Rank Team Recruits Frosh JC Other Tran.

1. Arizona St. 20 15 5 0
2. Oregon 35 23 12 0
3. Vanderbilt 13 11 2 0
4. Arkansas 16 11 5 0
5. Georgia 15 14 1 0
6. UCLA 8 7 0 1
7. Miami, Fla. 13 10 3 0
8. Florida St. 13 10 3 0
9. Clemson 12 10 2 0
10. Fresno St. 23 17 6 0
11. Texas 12 12 0 0
12. Oregon St. 13 6 7 0
13. South Carolina 14 8 6 0
14. Cal. St. Fullerton 19 13 6 0
15. Wichita St. 11 9 2 0
16. Southern California 15 14 1 0
17. Rice 14 11 3 0
18. Florida 12 10 2 0
19. Kentucky 10 7 3 0
20. Louisiana St. 10 10 0 0
21. N.C. State 14 11 3 0
22. U.C. Irvine 12 7 5 0
23. Southern Mississippi 16 5 10 1
24. Virginia 11 11 0 0
25. Mississippi 13 8 5 0
26. Stanford 12 12 0 0
27. Texas A&M 11 6 5 0
28. Tennessee 16 11 5 0
29. San Diego St. 13 6 7 0
30. Texas Christian 12 11 1 0
31. Oklahoma St. 12 7 5 0
32. Oklahoma 15 7 8 0
33. Pepperdine 10 8 2 0
34. Arizona 10 10 0 0
35. Georgia Tech. 10 10 0 0
36. Louisville 11 9 1 1
37. Hawaii 14 9 5 0
38. Notre Dame 8 8 0 0
39. Long Beach St. 15 7 7 1
40. South Florida 11 9 2 0
Cal. St. Northridge 10 8 2 0
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Many on HSBBW advocate the JUCO route so you can play immediately and continue to develop. This is great, provided that the 4-year program you later hope to play at recruits JUCO players. Looking at the Texas schools on the list, Univ. of Texas recruited 12 freshmen and no JUCO players, Rice recruited 11 freshmen and 3 JUCO players, Texas A&M 6 freshmen and 5 JUCO players, and Texas Christian 11 freshmen and 1 JUCO player. Looking at the overall list, some schools like Oregon, San Diego State, and Oklahoma are very JUCO friendly, but others are not. High school prospects should consider this when choosing what type of college program to play for.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if the new 27 player cap (for those receiving athletic monies) that takes effect next fall will change D1 programs' recruiting practices. Will more schools recruit immediate impact JUCO players because they can't afford to wait for freshmen to mature and develop?
Last edited by Infield08
Collegeparent,

How did the Junior college go for your son? Im guessing thats what you were talking about. It sounds like he had some good offers. My son is just starting at a JC and he said there are a lot of talented guys on his fall squad.He feels he made the right choice and its going well for him. How did your son do when he transferred?
Seems to me they overlooked somebody ....

PG had Wake Forest as # 16 pre-draft. We lost no recruits to the draft. I'm hoping PG updates that list later to account for the draft's impact.

When I get my Collegiate Baseball, I guess I'll check their methodology. Since they don't evaluate recruits, what did they do, just take a poll?
Recruiting success is awesome, but it doesn't always translate into team success. One Big 12 school seems to rake in the premier prospects year after year after year, but doesn't go all that far in post-season play. Last year, they didn't even make a regional and were mentioned in a Baseball America article on college programs that have fallen short of expectations. Contrast that with my son's school, which is about #105 on the "recruiting success" list. On paper, its list of recruits may not look that great compared to some of the big dogs, but the coaching staff pours heart and soul into developing the players so they can reach their full potential, while emphasizing a "team first" mentality. Last year, it was a 2-seed in an NCAA regional.
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
The University of OR roster has 45 players listed at this point. What are they going to do with the extra 10????????

I suspect the extra 10 are walk-ons that will have to be in the mix of players they will have to shed before the season starts. Others in the 35 may transfer out, not make grades, get hurt, or get cut, that would create room for a true walk-on to get a chance to make the 35 man season roster.

Unfortunately they will have to sit out this and next year if they transfer to another D1.
quote:
Originally posted by observer44:
Question...I assume that the program was like UC Davis...on some sort of probation/trial/prep for a few years as it gets up and running...If these kids leave is it an offical sit out year as the program at some level does not officially exist yet?

Cool 44

I don't remember hearing that Oregon will be on probation like UC Davis, I suspect it is because Oregon is and has been part of the PAC-10 and is “reinstituting” their program vs Davis who was going from DII to DI.
I am not sure what people are looking at when they tak about RS players. First no D1 team I am aware of posts their fall roster on their site. Secondly most rosters shown if shown are last years rosters and thirdly the R designation shows that the player OPH means he was RS as a freshman. You will see very few RS players in the future but there will be some as well as medical RS players.
If you are looking at a roster it is last years roster. No 35 man limit.

If you want to get a rough idea of possible cuts take the new guys and add that to last years roster guys excluding the SRs. That is a very very rough estimate.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
I am not sure what people are looking at when they tak about RS players. First no D1 team I am aware of posts their fall roster on their site. Secondly most rosters shown if shown are last years rosters and thirdly the R designation shows that the player OPH means he was RS as a freshman. You will see very few RS players in the future but there will be some as well as medical RS players.
If you are looking at a roster it is last years roster. No 35 man limit.

If you want to get a rough idea of possible cuts take the new guys and add that to last years roster guys excluding the SRs. That is a very very rough estimate.

Some programs are more efficient than others and have nothing to hide, in fact very proud of who they have attracted and they will start posting their fall rosters and modify as they get closer to the beginning of the season:

The 2009 Ducks

Actually U of Oregon only has 44 players but at some point it does not matter....
Last edited by Homerun04
Some teams have tryouts at the start of fall practices (guys trying to walk on), so it's not unusual to have teams await the outcomes of those tryouts before posting rosters. But my experience is contrary to Bobblehead's. Every site I've visited recently has its current roster posted, including all new freshmen.

As for finding info on recruiting classes, PG does have much of that information compiled even before the signing periods come around, if you subscribe to PGCrosschecker.com. By the November-December time frame, most teams will announce their fall signees with a press release done through their SID office and the teams' web sites. Updates in the spring and possibly also over the summer are often on the sites as well. Most sites have a page where you can link to archived articles (articles that have cycled off the main page), so you can scroll through them and find the lists there, if you're willing to search one team at a time.
I have cheched a few sites that I am familiar with and some are posting rosters in the fall this year. I think it may be a good thing.
Before this year it was not uncommon for players to transfer in from other colleges at the end of fall.Maybe the sit rule comes into play here. Fall rosters must be submitted to the NCAA but there was nothing to stop a coach from taking a player who transfered before.
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
I have cheched a few sites that I am familiar with and some are posting rosters in the fall this year. I think it may be a good thing.
Before this year it was not uncommon for players to transfer in from other colleges at the end of fall.Maybe the sit rule comes into play here. Fall rosters must be submitted to the NCAA but there was nothing to stop a coach from taking a player who transfered before.

It is not new....there have been programs that are on top of things and do them as they have their information available and their SID's get to them.
My son's team knows who is on the roster and has never posted it in the fall. I follwoed some 500 players and used to check fall rosters and never found them posted. Ariz Stae has things under control and I have never seen them post a fall roster. Haven't checked this year but I will.
As I say it seems like a good thing. Maybe the guys who stand to get cut won't see it that way.
Of the links I posted, 5 schools have roster sizes of 35 or less and 2 schools have more than 35 (Texas Tech with 39 and A&M-Corpus Christi with 41 -- 25 on the roster plus 16 newcomers named in a separate press release). Hopefully, both of these schools were up-front with their recruits and let them know ahead of time that several would have to be cut after the fall. Two Texas schools which have not yet posted their rosters are Univ. of Texas and Texas A&M. I would be very curious to know the sizes of their current rosters. I would imagine that both programs attract a large number of recruited and regular walk-ons, which might make for very large fall roster sizes.
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
they have attracted and they will start posting their fall rosters and modify as they get closer to the beginning of the season:

The 2009 Ducks

Actually U of Oregon only has 44 players but at some point it does not matter...

The Ducks have 6 catchers! Who would sign for this school as catcher, of course with 6 catchers they probably have their quota by now.

I am not sure those numbers are so unusual, expecially w/o the benefit of a returning catcher. OSU has 6 catchers on their roster... Its important to be deep at this position. I note 5 of the 6 catchers are HS transfers, perhaps one or two of them play other positions or is destine to redshirt? At a minimum I would expect them to carry 4 active catchers.
CollegeParent: I agree, especially in light of the condensed season that started last year. I believe that many colleges realized that last year's season took a toll on their players and that many players were totally worn out by season's end. OU coaches are so knowledgeable, they know this and have prepared for it.
Six catchers?
Six catchers could signal that the starter or backup won't catch BP's, they'll let someone else spend most of the year on their knees so catchers don't get burned. You got to understand that successful programs can recruit very easily those who are willing to take a shot, and many times, walk ons are used as catchers in the fall.

The Ducks are a new team, I can understand recruiting 6, most likely the other players could move to other positions. I am sure it's not an easy task trying to start up a program or begin working with all new pitchers and catchers. You only have a short period of time to do that, whereas established programs only have a few new pitchers coming in each fall.

Establshed program do not need 6 catchers. Most big programs limit it to 3-4.
Last edited by TPM
Also as a new program, U Oregon also has 19 pitchers that they need to sort through.....if you are going to over recruit in some positions, why not bring them in as other position players with the statement of: you have a chance to compete for a roster position. What is most likely unknown for those who took the chance is how many are recruited in their similar positions.

It is too bad the NCAA rules will penalize those who will be shed off due to the over recruiting by these programs around the country.

I would like to see, if the player is not getting athletic money, they should be able to go to another program without sitting a year.

Back-to-Back World Series winners, Oregon State also has 6 catchers, some look to play other positions, but they also have 39 players listed in their 2009 roster. What is interesting, some of their top recruits from last year are not back!

OSU 2009 Roster
Last edited by Homerun04
My son's program that he attended never announced fall rosters in the 5 years I have been following the roster.
I think that this is done on purpose, even though everyone who comes is recruited for a role (except fall walk ons). But knowing HC, he won't announce anything until you return from winter vacation. I think he wants them all to think that they have to WORK HARD for their roster spots.
Wink
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Six catchers?
Six catchers could signal that the starter or backup won't catch BP's, they'll let someone else spend most of the year on their knees so catchers don't get burned. You got to understand that successful programs can recruit very easily those who are willing to take a shot, and many times, walk ons are used as catchers in the fall.

The Ducks are a new team, I can understand recruiting 6, most likely the other players could move to other positions. I am sure it's not an easy task trying to start up a program or begin working with all new pitchers and catchers. You only have a short period of time to do that, whereas established programs only have a few new pitchers coming in each fall.

Establshed program do not need 6 catchers. Most big programs limit it to 3-4.

Stanford had 6 guys listed a catchers on their spring 08 roster (at least 1 other guy on the roster was a HS catcher but is listed as postion player).

The number of catchers carried by a team somewhat depends upon the style of baseball the team plays and how well the starting catcher hits and/or backup catchers hit. I.e. you pinch hit for the good defensivie catcher, bring in another guy, he gets hurt, your down to your last catcher and the game isn't over. Carrying only 3 catchers is risky. Carrying 5+ in the fall when you don't have an established catcher from the prior year is not unusual.

Perhaps it's partly an issue of how a school lists its roster. i.e. primary position only.
Last edited by CollegeParentNoMore
Could be if they are listed as perhaps C/INF might just mean they can and might play another position. However if you see a "C" that's catcher only and 6 "C's is a bit, on the spring roster. I think that some are listed that way in the fall because that is how they entered and may have played in HS. I thought about that after I posted, but 6 catchers only is way too much, IMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.