Skip to main content

I was at my sons ballgame yesterday and the realization of the end of the baseball road as a player for him is just up around the next bend.......You can see it from here.........

This all started 17 years ago when he was 5.......and ever since then our lives have been intwined by games and teams and uniforms.....and muddy shoes...and bats and balls and lucky socks......oh, how wonderful these days have been and I feel so lucky to have been able to see and enjoy his journey..........

His rise from youth player to HS to College player has not been easy.........he has worked harder than anyone Ive known...........he has fought through injury, perception, daddy ball, to play longer than anyone in his entire youth league..........4 years as an NCAA Baseball player.........I hope he understands what level of acheivement that is........

We have made many mistakes along the way....from his first college team...then having to transfer....but it has been wonderful.......

He is a senior this year.....and with the diagnosis of a torn labrum, has seen his playing time diminish........there is just no upside to playing a senior, who despite having a cortisone shot just to be ready if the coach might need him, this late in the season.....he wont be back next year.....so his position is being filled by a sophomore.....

I waited outside the dugout for him after yesterdays game as I have for all of his 17 years as a player.........and when that face turned the corner..........I choked back tears....it wasnt that little boy dragging a bat bag bigger then he was anymore.........It was a man.......

A few more games and it will be over.......He told me...... he hopes to be able to contribute something over the next few games.....a pinch hit, pinch runner....and then get on with the surgury that will mend a shoulder well in need of repair.........He say he will throw himself into rehab so he can be ready to coach next season.....seems he has already discussed becoming a grad assistant coach.......

One road ends........one road begins....
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

piaa_ump...What a wonderful testiment to your son and to your support for him over the years. It seems as though he has a plan and is going to move forward with his life. I hope the rest of us will be so lucky as to have a son who knows when it is over and accepts it with dignity and pride and moves on, seamlessly, into the next phase of his life.

Best of luck to your son!
piaa-ump--- cry

Who had the signature line..."play every game as if it will be your last because someday it will" or something like that? I am sorry to read about your son's injury. We've had them. Stinks.

We may have seen our sons play their last games, too, without knowing it. Breaks my heart.

I cried yesterday for my son's old school, the one he transfered FROM, because their last game, SENIOR DAY, was RAINED OUT!!! I couldn't believe it. So for all the seniors who didn't have much opportunity to play, who were looking forward to playing one last time---couldn't because of the weather. I am so sad for them. I really did cry for those kids.

Good luck to your son and congratulations on finishing 4 years of college baseball and, more importantly, graduating!
Last edited by play baseball
Your story is truly heart felt and gives us all something to think about. I know what you are talking about--everytime I drive by the ballparks that our son played on as a youth..remembering his first HR and the facial expression he had when crossing home plate that sunny Spring day. And now seeing him as a young man and wondering where all the years went. It is not an easy road--from Little League to the NCAA, with many bumps along the way. Some days it has all been worth it and then there are the ones that you have to ask yourself was it worth all the bumps. But, it has taught our son how to face adversity head on, work hard on and off the field, be a good friend and teamate, put things into perspective, adjust ones self and adapt to different surroundings and situations. It has been his road to "life's lessons". And he has become stronger for it. Good Luck to your son, he sounds like a great young man with great potential for a great future. God bless.
piaa_ump,

Sadly, the winding down of your son's baseball playing days are part of the cycle of life. Your story of the sophomore getting the opportunity to develop to contribute to the team in the future illustrates the ever-changing focus that, although we'd like to be on our sons, it's really about the team.

So, perhaps the cycle of life will allow you to start the journey again with a grandson in a few years. That's what I'm hoping for.
Last edited by infidel_08
It's ironic this topic came up. I was at a game Saturday when a dad mentioned due to an injury he may have already watched his son's last game. He said he wished he had known when he was watching it.

Then I thought about what it would be like to have the youngest finish playing. I guess you go from watching his games to attending pro games together. Then before you know it you're placing a glove in your grandson's crib.
Sometimes I think that we, as parents, do not realize how mature our sons become in college.

My guy had his career end after his senior year---he had a chance to sign as a free agent--his quandry was that he had a job waiting for him upon graduation and he had seen what some of his team mates had gone thru as free agents---he said thats it ---I am taking the job because it wont be there in 12 months and as a free agent all I am is a number for them filling a roster place---he wanted to get on with life---he saw the business side of it all

When I got off the phoen I realized my son was now a man

The same here in this instance
Nice story and many can relate.
I have seen the minor league hardships and if you are not an A list player it can be tough. I have seen some very talented players who spend 3-4 years doing very well only to get the bad news that they have been released.
It is nice to see young men ready to move on and develop a career in the real world. The honor of playing college ball is an experience they will never regret and it will serve them well in the future.
If my son wants to play after college we have 3 elite senior leagues that will serve him well. He can play until he is in his middle ages if he wants and it can be very competetive. 2 of the leagues are full of current,ex college players and ex ppos. It will be his decision.
rjm

not really sure what you mean? mens leagues are a chance for players to play on after college. if that's hanging on then so be it.

baseball doesn't have to be about us watching our kids grow. it is about them enjoying the game in some capacity. we can be happy for them,whatever they choose to do. but i wouldn't call it hanging on. but that's me.
I agree with 20dad

Just because a young man has chosen to enter the workforce doesn't eliminate the need for athletic participation.

A golf league, bowling league, whatever. Baseball where you pay to play is a blast. I did it until I was 44, and I wasn't hanging on, I was having a blast against ex-pros and college players.

Once a jock, always a jock
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
I believe some people missed my point. Playing in an adult league is not watching your son grow into an adult. It's what the thread is about. Playing in an adult league is just extended play. I went into coaching Babe Ruth ball after college. While my parents were proud I chose to serve the community, the growing they looked at from that point was professionally. I think the part they liked the best was I was paying my own bills. Smile
piaa_ump,

Thank you for your poignant post.

It's sad that your son doesn't get to fully enjoy his senior year of playing college ball because of the injury, but he truly has made it further than most. Mine is the same age as yours and only pitched 2-1/2 years of college baseball because of recurring shoulder injuries (labrum and just about every other part on the right side of his body). Roll Eyes It looks like mine is done playing now, but he is staying involved in baseball in other ways. The last game I saw him play...I had no idea that it would be his last. He closed or relieved in both games of a Fall doubleheader on a beautiful, sunny day. A few days later the Fall season ended and he admitted that his arm was just about falling off. Doc found 4 different things wrong (elbow, shoulder, shoulder, back). He has not pitched since (1-1/2 years).

It comes to an end for all of them some day, and sometimes "some day" sneaks up on you. Once in a while I look back and wish that he had a couple more years of playing college baseball...and that I had a couple more years of watching him! But mostly I think back to all of the wonderful memories from youth baseball, high school, and college. Watching my son take the mound for the first time at age 10, fall in love with pitching, struggle a little during some seasons, have some memorable successes, and just get to spend a lot of years loving the game of baseball. It's a great, great game. I'm looking forward to seeing a grandson or two play some day. Wink Best wishes to your son for the rest of this season, and for the bright future ahead of him!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
piaa_ump,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Your knowledge and perspective on the game are highly valued here. I don't often say this about umpires, but it has to be a privilege for players to see you walk out onto thier field, and coaches should feel honored to have you call one of their games. It's obvious that you're a man of great character, and I'm sure that you've passed that quality on to your son. Thanks for sharing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.