Skip to main content

My 2017 son recently committed to a school (a little over a month ago).  Since then, there has been no contact with the coach (either initiated by my son or the coach).  

Is this normal, or should he be "checking in" with the coach periodically with updates on fall season, grades, etc.?

(By the way, this is for a D3 school, so there is no athletic money involved or NLI.)

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't read too much into it.  Coach is likely focused on the next kid that he is trying to get to apply to the school.  I have one currently in D3 as well and he just sent a quick email when his application was complete so coach would be aware it was in admissions.  I guess your answer likely depends on the coach and program - I think some coaches like more contact, some likely less.

Since this is D3, nothing is certain until he has been accepted. I would use any excuse possible to "measure the temperature" until the fat acceptance packet arrives.  If that means calls updating grades, asking application status, whatever ; coaches drop kids as a newer player rises onto his radar, coaches leave, etc. Do not be the one left holding the bag.

And, I would have a plan B just in case. 

While it is probable that things unfold as you would like, until the acceptance, you are in the last 100 yards of the marathon and it is not time to relax - yet.

jmo

My son just committed to play at a D3 school about 3 weeks ago. Since he told the coach he wanted to play for him there was less traffic as far as texting and phone calls, which made us a little nervous. He has checked in with my son a couple of times. My son would text him letting him know where he was in the application process. Once he got accepted the coach let him know he would bring him to campus again to stay a night and hang out with the players.

Congrats to you and your son.

It really depends on the program/coach. My son did not choose a program until late may his Senior year, so I do not have a lot of experience with this. It may also depend on how son applied, ED, EA, regular decision. Did your son get a preread? Is it a slam dunk for him to get accepted?  

In my opinion, it is too early to commit to a D3, unless you are going ED. I would want to compare financial packages between different schools and once you commit, (if he is a young man of his word) leverage can be lost. 

This may not be a concern for some, But I spent just as much time dealing with the financial aid offices as my son did with the coaches. 

I have mentioned this before.  Are you following the school's Twitter & Facebook & Baseball website to see what the current team is doing?  The middle of October is a very busy time on a college baseball diamond and in the baseball office. Fall Ball is winding up. Which means there usually is a big intersquad scrimmage or a World Series of 5 games over a week.  This sometimes coincides with Homecoming.  We had a huge Golf Outing, Parent tailgate, 2 baseball games, the football game and Baseball awards Banquet this past weekend.  They were also hosting recruits & alumni for these events.  Plus the coaching staff is looking @ those rosters of 60-50-40-players and deciding who is going to make the cut for the final 35 spring roster.  And the Coaches have a fall exit interview with each player to review their performance in Fall Ball.  Some make the cut, some are told work harder you are on the fringe, some are told if they want to continue playing college ball they need to transfer @ the semester break.  Just saying there is a Lot happening in October in a Baseball Office.

Remember there are always three teams in college baseball: One Coming, One Playing, and One Going ~

Last edited by Journey On

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.