Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I hope you all have a great time out there!!!

We went last year and it was awesome!! I met a couple of dads from these forums out there as well. The memories are still fresh in my mind and my son wishes we could go back in time and re-live it again.

We were the week that the Martin kid set the homerun derby record. What a performance....he simply crushed most of them (we did keep him in the yard when we played his team though!!)

Again I hope you have an awesome time!!!
This will be our second time. My oldest son's team went in 2006, when ironically the big story that week was that Roger Clemens was there to see his son's team play.

My middle son's team is going this year and I'm already working on my youngest son's coach (9u) to be ready in 2011.

It's such a fun trip. Can't wait.
Although it's a neat experience for the kids, I think it's a little over hyped.

Talk to most kids and they'll tell you the food isn't very good, the uniforms are always damp (better bring Gold Bond!), and the team quarters get pretty hot when it gets warm (No A/C).

Also, it's a joke for 12 and even 13 year olds to be playing on 200 feet fenced fields. One of our players hit 11 homeruns and most of them traveled 275 feet plus. Good luck getting a double there.

The facilty is neat but again, the whole experience is over rated. Would we do it again? Absolutely not.

You'll get the speech at the beginning about how they did this all for the founding families father but it's really about $$$$

By the way, we finished in the Elite 8 so it's not sour grapes.
quote:
Originally posted by Strike 3:

The facilty is neat but again, the whole experience is over rated. Would we do it again? Absolutely not.

You'll get the speech at the beginning about how they did this all for the founding families father but it's really about $$$$

They even require the teams to furnish one umpire to work the tournaments when they come. They are not paid of course.

The common consensus I usually get from most who go there share your same feelings.
Interesting.....

My son ranks it as perhaps the most fun week of his life. He's had weeks playing baseball that were more satisfying/significant/important, but nothing like Cooperstown for sheer fun!

I went as a spectator dad, expecting to tolerate the situation, and to my surprise, I had a great time. The Hall of Fame is a bonus.

Yep, mom makes better food, the barracks can be beastly hot, the fences allow for singles or home runs, the place undoubtably makes very good money, and it is just right for a 12 year old boy.
Warning track - Yeah he was a BIG boy. But surprisingly he was an easy going well grounded kid too. I was a coach so I stayed in the village with the kids and saw him at the consession stand one evening and chatted with him a bit. He never bragged a bit about his accomplishments (he had just clubbed 8 out of 10 balls to set the record) and kind of down played them. I found him to be a nice kid. Apparently he played for some 14U teams too out there in California as a 12..lol. But you're right..he is a big boy!

Strike 3 - I can understand why you some might feel like you. I was there at the beginning of August and yes the bunk room desperately need a/c. They'd probably save money in electricity if the did, 1 a/c vs 15 fans on high..lol. I think that kids who play select ball as 12's would find the fences short but a team like ours (we were just a bunch of city Cal Ripken All-stars brought together to play in this tourney only)found the 200ft fence to be the equivalent of what we played on all season. Yes the homeruns we hit during the week were 250ft usually but I think the 8ft fence evens it out. And I agree that the food was far from succulent to be kind. But even with all that we still wish we could go back and do it all again. I think if you aren't a Travel ball player yet at that age it is the best way to end youth baseball short of the LL or Cal Ripken World Series. Well worth the $$ and special memories we will have forever. My son still talks about it like it was yesterday.
We went in 2005 and had a blast. 2B hit his first grand slam against a team from Colorado. We did think about going back the next year, but once he moved up to the big field, he wanted to stay there. He wasn't into all the pin-trading and all that stuff, but he loved playing a game or two every day and being there with all the other players. We went 6-3 and finished 25th or something like that, but one of our players won the Golden Arm competition. My only regret about not going back was not being able to see the Hank Aaron room, which wasn't completed when we were there.

The Cooperstown area is beautiful. We rented a cabin at a campground close to the facility and only paid $450 for the whole week. I agree that the food at the facility was bad. But we cooked on the grill at our cabin for most meals. There's a nice restaurant called Portabello's at a little town nearby, and several wineries to visit. Howe Caverns is fun, but it was cold! And of course we had lots of fun and spent way too much money in and around the HoF. I agree with Strike 3 that it is about the cash, and they must make a fortune. And a lot of those HRs turn in to fly ball outs in the fall. But still, for us, it was a really great trip.

The umpire that came with us had a great time, also. Smile
our family went the august before 9/11 . we got home three weeks before, so the trip was really special. cooperstown and the baseball was great.but visiting the east coast was wonderful. we have some wonderful memories, try and take some extra time to visit, we were there 3 weeks and went all over.boston, new york, statue of liberty, world trade center, liberty bell on and on. walk through central park. one of our best baseball trips and family vacations.
We had a blast in 06!

Yes it is a big money maker for the owners/investors, but it also employes a lot of people in the area. The locals we talked to were very positive about the owners and the boost the local economy got from the complex. Plus we were told by several that employees were treated well. So it's all good.

You know, the only thing we were disappointed in was the HOF! The exhibits were superficial, imo. I'd go back in a heart beat though!
Last edited by 55mom
My son is going the week of July 18-25 right before HOF weekend. We will be there with the Orlando Bombers. Is there anything in Cooperstown besides the camps and HOF? The only thing I don't like about the setup so far is Mom and Me won't be able to be with him as much since he will be with the team-but then again ya gotta let go sometime. I just hope he has fun.
DPElite,
We went last year right before the HOF induction. Talk about a zoo!! Tony and CalJr. had about a million fans there that week and it was a crazy madhouse. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. The excitement was everywhere and there were ex MLB'ers everywhere and even John Travolta! My wife really liked that part. It was a great time. Expect a lot of traffic and be willing to walk. They will give out tickets for parking. The bakery on the corner has great stuff. If you want to make your son happy, sneak in some treats on gameday that he can sneak back to his dorm in his ball bag, whatever you can get past security. Your son and his teamates will love you. We wore jackets and stuffed our pockets with slim jims, honey buns, candy and even a pack of Oreo's for the coach.

One of our parents took a ton of photos and got copies of everybodies pics and video and made a montage on DVD to pass out to the kids at our after the season party. I highly recommend doing it. I still sometimes watch it. Big Grin
This is not a promo for these people, just sharing my experience.

In 06 we lost our spot at Cooperstown Dreams Park so we went to Cooperstown Diamonds. It's a three field facility about 10 miles away from Cooperstown. For $575.00 we got 7 games (guaranteed 6), stayed with the kids an an air-conditioned motel, meal vouchers for a good restaurant and the concession stand at the park, skills competition, a custom wood bat and a ring. My kid still talks about it as one of his best baseball experiences.

If you get a chance and you like beer, check out the Ommegang Brewery and have a Rare Vos for me. I am craving one as I type.
i first saw the dreamspark in 96. 4 fields dirt roads etc. my kids were playing LL. and i was amazed at the talent i was seeing. our area wasn't a baseball hot bed. so these kids looked like colege kids to me. when i went home and saw our level of play again. it was very disappointing. nobody could believe when i told them about these kids i saw in cooperstown.

son played there in 98. didn't win a game.but he saw what good players looked like. great motivator for us. and he had a ball.

in 2000 we started sending a team to cooperstown. not really to win anything, as we play LL in our town. but to show parents and kids how good baseball at that age can be. really how far behind we are in developing/teaching the players. if you love baseball it is a blast. parents start the week very protective of jr. but the players bond quickly and forget mom and dad aren't there. they meet kids from every where. as a coach there i met some great people,and had a ball.

it isn't cheap and times are tough,it's a great weeks vacation. and the kids will never forget it. this will be the 8th year we send a team from our community. and our baseball has improved, it may have anyway by now. but i like to think that week helped out. when kids see me they still talk about there week with me. that is priceless,to me.
Cooperstown is a trip of a lifetime.....

I still remember driving out of the park - the last day---our son looked at us - with tears in his eyes and said "thanks for this, I will never forget it"

The pin trading was awesome---ceremonies incredible--had a little boy from Canada sing their anthem---had boys from Hawaii doing their thing--

If you have a chance to create this memory with your family---do it!
My son went in 2005. It was by far his best experience ever for tournaments or baseball. He has won tournaments, lost miserably in tournaments and everything in etween. None of that mattered that week. They made the elite 8 and it still do not matter. He cried leaving the park and talked about it everyday for weeks w a new story.

He is now playing HS ball and will likely play Varsity next year as a soph... it is nothing compared to the Cooperstown experience.
Anyone who can get heir kid to this tournament do it and cherish every moment of it! It really is baseball heaven!
I have to disagree with the folks who thought it was overhyped.

Our team went in the summer of 2005, and ironically were assigned the same week as our (then) rival (2Bmom's) team from the Gainesville, Fl area. (Players from those two teams now play HS with/against each other ..and mostly form the better part of travel/showcase team in the summer)

I went as a coach to my little brothers team (13 years my junior) and it was by far the best baseball experience of our lives to date ...including an AAU state championship, and many other tournaments since. My brother and I both would LOVE to go back. Heck, my brother STILL talks to players he played against from Nebraska and Ohio.

For a 12y/o and the coaches there is nothing like forgetting about the rest of life; living with your teammates and playing 1 or 2 ballgames a day.

When you think about the amount of people that are there, and subsequently the amount of food, and laundry etc. etc. that are supplied...the services are second to none.

I noticed for many kids, it is a unique growing up experience in the guise of a baseball tournament; somewhat seperated from parents...close living quarters, the "group" shower experience (you cant imagine the looks I got when explaining to players that it was ok/normal/expected to wear flip-flops INTO the shower), and getting to know players from thousands of miles away...are all very unique for a 12y/o.

My brother was fortunate enough to set a record for hits in a game...but with or without that, it is an incredible experience.

**my only complaint/suggestion would be that they put window a/c units in the barracks and use a master power switch to turn them on whne the temp goes over 85 for an extended period.
Last edited by Estone28

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.