Skip to main content

Just made preliminary plans with my son.  He went to Cooperstown as a 12U player.  I was an assistant coach.  He's down to his last three weeks of his freshman year playing in college.  We're planning to take a team next year with the two of us and one of his friends as coaches.  I brought it up tonight for the first time since the week after we were in C-town 7 years ago.  He initially gave me an "are you crazy" look.  Within 10 minutes, he had his friend committed to going as a third coach and actually was talking about "scouting" the local kids to find some kids who will want to go.  As I said, very preliminary, but after seeing him very little since he's started college, it sure seems like a good time.  Has anyone else ever taken a team to C-town with your son?  How'd it go??

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Envy you!  Should be a blast.  Have only gone as coach while my kids were playing, and doing that again this summer.  Only suggestion I have is to make sure everyone knows who's in charge of what.  Lessens the potential for conflict.  Other thing to consider: I got in trouble one time with other coaches who thought I was cherry picking their players.  They didn't understand, even though I s-p-e-l-l-e-d it out that I only was asking the kids for this ONE trip (the dates of which were purposely chosen to NOT interfere with anyone else's league or tournament play.

Good luck!!

I don't think I have an issue getting in.  I think we've lined up a certificate.  As far as players.  We are from a small town with no real "travel" teams to speak of.  Some kids play travel, but the majority don't.  We won't have any issues with kids and their other teams.  We'll probably try to play at least one or two small tourneys just to help the team gel before heading out, but it's early....who knows.  Hopefully we can get it together.  My son and his friend have it pretty well planned out...less than 12 hours after I brought up the idea lol

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.