Skip to main content

I told my College Soph I would give him a $100 bill if he got an A in Economics.

I'll be darned if he didn't do it!

That gives him a 3.4 for the semester, which is his best so far.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'm more proud of that than I was when I heard his name announced as a starter in his first college baseball game.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

He also got an A in Biology, which makes me think I should get DNA testing done on him to make sure he really IS my Son.

My college GPA was the square root of my wife's college GPA.

Seriously, she was a 4.0, I was a 2.0.

She actually taught me what a square root was!
I always thought it was the result of a bad circumcision?
Last edited by gitnby
I stay far away from Econ and Bio here, I'm just not interested enough to put the work in that is necessary to do well in those classes. Thank goodness I AP'd out of the science requirement!

Fiction Writing 201 should be the only blemish to my GPA, but I'm not complaining, this school actually made me enjoy studying!
Hahaha, ECON! The class my son was dreading the most, AND had been told by virtually everyone to avoid a certain prof at all costs (extremely tough grader). Well, the only section available was with this guy...........and guess who his favorite professor turned out to be? That's right. Son got a B+ in there (very rare) and this prof flicked a switch on inside him. He's taking him again for another ECON class next semester.

Praise the good profs who challenege the kids to the utmost (even if it means being 'disliked').
I hear ya Krak. Good for your son!

Because athletes get no preference at son's university, class selection is based on seniority in credits. So, having to maneuver around practices/weight lifting and bullpens, players have to take the best available course time rather than get to cherry pick the professor.

My son always checks Ratemyprofessor.com to get a look at his "chosen" professor. Without fail 2 or 3 always have less than glowing ratings, with their share of disparaging comments from former students.

So it is off to class with Miss "Complete Tool" and Mr "Don't expect an A" each semester. I tell him suck it up, it could be worse, you could be in engineering. Without fail he ends up getting along well with both the downers and the glowers and within 2 or 3 weeks figures out how to get it done.

I tell him he won't be able to pick his boss(es) someday, so why get used to doing so now. Ultimately, it prepares them for life by having to play the hand they are dealt anyway.
Last edited by Backstop-17

Bulldog, your story brings back memories to me. Twisted memories, I think.

In our Econ 101 class we had a text book that used an economic example to open each chapter. Our book featured water pipes and drive-in movie pants as recurring items in all of these examples.

Even I thought it was odd that the author would match up plumbing supplies with some sort of task specific clothing. How strange?

I guess I wasn't hip because I didn't figure it out until after the class was completed that the water pipe was for weed and not for conveyance of fresh water. And the drive-in movie pants evidently were what you would wear to make the 'goings on' in the backseat much easier.

Now I know water pipes are still around, but the drive-in movie pants? I'm still not quite sure what they are.

Neither item helped me understand my Econ class at all. I remember always scratching my head and thinking that the author was one strange bird. Water pipes...boring! Drive-in movie pants...what in the dickens are they? Trying to make sense of those two items at the beginning of each chapter really just added to my overall befuddlement.

Now fellow HSBB websters, drive-in movie pants, does anyone know what they are exactly? Help me ease my wooly old mind. I promise I won't blush with embarrassment.

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Wow! Thanks Ken. I found this somewhere related to the link you provided...

How to tie drive-in movie pants
    There are four strings used to tie drive-in movie pants, two attached to each half of the pants. Position one half of the pants in front of your legs and wrap the two strings around your waist so they can be tied at your back, bring the pants between your legs so the remaining half of the pants are positioned at your back, wrap the last two strings around to the front of your waist and tie them.

And Bob's your uncle, right 20dad?
Me? I think I'll stick with my 501's ©!

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.