Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think it would just depend on what the schedule is for the season. Here in SoCal a season can run from $300 to $3000 for the season. Some programs are a profit program so therefore more. I would ask to see what other teams pay.

For example our 2011 team fee was $500 for returning players and additional $125 for new players for uniforms. We played at USD, SD State, Fullerton, Pepperdine, LMU and UC Irvine. We also went to the Jr. Fall Classic, played in a Thanksgiving tournament and addition to playing extra games for recruiting purposes. We also had out scout day which have an abundance of colleges and pro scouts. We also have weekly workouts. Of course parents pay for travel costs. I talked to some parents at the Jr. Fall Classic and they paid $500 just to attend the event.

http://www.sgvbaseball.com
quote:
Originally posted by sgvbaseball:
I think it would just depend on what the schedule is for the season. Here in SoCal a season can run from $300 to $3000 for the season. Some programs are a profit program so therefore more. I would ask to see what other teams pay.

For example our 2011 team fee was $500 for returning players and additional $125 for new players for uniforms. We played at USD, SD State, Fullerton, Pepperdine, LMU and UC Irvine. We also went to the Jr. Fall Classic, played in a Thanksgiving tournament and addition to playing extra games for recruiting purposes. We also had out scout day which have an abundance of colleges and pro scouts. We also have weekly workouts. Of course parents pay for travel costs. I talked to some parents at the Jr. Fall Classic and they paid $500 just to attend the event.

http://www.sgvbaseball.com
You guy's have the best deal around I couldn't imagine such a deal in the Dallas area! I have my own team and do not make a dime off of it, and couldn't touch that price the tournaments alone cost to much our local juco tournaments run 650-1050 per tournament and then the big national tournaments are really up there! our local leagues run 2000-3000 thosand for the summer!
Last edited by Driller Man
Drillerman,

We just try to charge enough to cover costs and have a small reserve. Some players do have an added cost from time to time when they get invited to an additional event. For example, when we invited a couple younger players to Jupitor they had to pay the fee that everyone else paid. We are very upfront with all our players and families of what they are getting. They do not have a problem coming with an additional small fee when something arises. Because of how do things and the smaller fee we charge has brought us a lot of respect amongst the SoCal colleges and scouts. On average our winter season for our '12, 13 and '11 teams was about $550.00,

In the Fall, we may do one or two tournaments besides the Fall Classics and Jupitor. we are careful of how we schedule and what we do. we try to make our buck goes as best we can. The games at college venues are a good way to get players seen. We run a scout day that is heavily attended. We realize we do have a good name of identifying players at a young age and producing top players so we feel fortunate that colleges and scouts will come watch us play. I have had coaches of other teams trying to recruit players from us telling them that they need to do this and that, we don't play enough and other things. We also have no part time players either. Our formula has worked for us and we are always striving to learn more. Coaches can say what they wish but our guys go moving along and they are all our guys, too. Not guys borrowed and then posted as one of "our guys". I see so many teams do that.
Last edited by sgvbaseball
Thought I would add some info from a cold weather state!

For the last 2 years my son was part of a college prospect organization. I would describe them as more of a regional team than a national team. We did travel to some high level in state tournaments, and some regional qualifiers.

The fall seasons the fee was a flat $200 for six weeks of games (2 DH/weekend) and 2 nights of practices per week. Each family also had to volunteer 1 night of working bingo, which the organization runs as a fundraiser. This fee covered uniforms, games, coaching, winter workouts at the organization's facility, and 1 pitching lesson per week with the organization's pitching coach.

Our first summer season the cost was $500 plus $100 for a reverse raffle ticket, plus 1 night of working bingo. This fee covered all tournaments, uniforms, coaching, practices, etc. Players were responsible for their own travel expenses.

This coming summer the fee has increased, but it will be based on how many players are on the team. The cost should be between $600 - $700, plus $100 reverse raffle ticket, plus 2 nights of working bingo. Fees include all tournaments, uniforms, coaching, practices, etc., but the organization has cut down on some of the overnight travel, limited to 2 high level overnight tournaments.

Driller, I too have found that tournament costs are outrageous. Even the local tournaments we enter cost between $650-$750, plus gate fee, plus the team must supply baseballs! We do not play in a league, so we do not have league fees, but we do pick up independent games, so we have umpire fees, approx $100/game ($50 ea for 2 umpires).
I am in Va and be ready to spend more money if your sons team will be doing some traveling. My son played with a travel team and played at alot of colleges last summer and fall. UVA,UNC,Duke, Wake Forest,ECU,Va TECT, to mention a few. Cost was 650.00 for the summer and 650.00 for the fall. Not includuing uniforms. This was a 15u team as well. With travel to East Cobb and Florida for Perfect games tournaments. Needless to say it got very costly with travel, hotel rooms and food each weekend they played.

quote:
Originally posted by TedWilliams:
Curious as to what it costs to play summer ball in other areas of the country. I'm in Dallas, TX and just got my invoice for next summer - $2,000. This is for a 15U team within a large organization.
quote:
Originally posted by Sophia38:
quote:
Costs for 2010

Hi,

Can anyone give me an approximate cost for the following.
Own a semi-detached 1950's house with side lane access in south dublin.

Wanting to add 90m2 side extension 40m2 of which is ground and 50m2 above including overhang on side passage. Also 55m2 single storey ext on rear of house. Some structural beam work to allow rooms to be opened out.
Also revamp, insulate and new concrete floors to 1950's house. Ground floor is approx 54m2 and same above on first floor so 108m2.
New heating system and new double glazed windows.

Whats the average cost now in Dublin post celtic tiger for such a job. Expected duration 4-6 months. Statring in March 2010.

Cheers

The fact is it is expensive. The up front cost to play is not the issue. You know exactly what that is because they tell you "It will be 600.00 for the summer season." Now what can you expect to spend on a typical weekend? That is what you need to think about imo. How far will you be traveling for tourneys? How many weekends will you be playing? How many out of state tourneys will you be playing in that will require extended stays and or airfare?

On a typical weekend. If you have an early game on Saturday or just need to get down there on Friday then you have travel expenses to the site. A motel for Friday night. Food for Friday. Food for Saturday , motel for Saturday night. Food for Sunday and travel expenses on Sunday back home. How many people will be traveling with you? Mom , Dad , Player , siblings? Its going to cost you anywhere from 250 to 500 for a weekend. If your playing every weekend like most teams do throughout the summer you can see where this really can add up. For the tourneys that require extended stay like the ones that last four days or an entire week then its very pricey.

The fact is this stuff can add up to a tremendous amount of money. Then right when you catch your breath the fall season hits you. And right when the fall season ends the holidays are on you for more expense.

I could probably write a book for parents on how to cut down on expenses doing this stuff. There are ways to cut your costs dramatically. I would not focus so much on the up front costs because most teams are right around the same amount. And the upfront costs will usually be no more than what its going to cost you in two week ends of playing. Good luck.
Our program does plenty of travel, doesn't pay coaches (we do cover their expenses), and charges one fee for a player as if parents will not be around. Our fee last summer was approximately $3500.
For this we spent 17 days straight on the road, then 3 other weekend trips (VA, MA, LI).. Included in the cost were rt airfare, 26 nights in hotels, 3 meals a day for the 26 days, tournament fees, insurance, uniforms, van reantals, fuel for vans, field rental, baseballs, helmets. We have never had to go back and ask parents for additional funds. We have also never had a surplus since we do get some sponsorship that helps those who are in need financially. We have never turned a player away for $$$.
When 2Bdad and I realized how much we were spending for tournament hotels, we actually bought a time share where you can use points to stay at different places. It hasn't worked out as well as the salesman told us - there isn't always availability where we want to go - but it has been beneficial. We stayed in a condo for the USA Baseball 16U tournament last year, and paid about $150.00 total for the whole week. The down side is not being with the team, but having 1000 square feet and privacy for the week is a lot more comfortable than a tiny hotel room. Plus, if the team does something together, he gets there. We have another condo reserved for the WWBA World Championship this October that is only 12 miles from Roger Dean.

It helps a lot because 2B is a big-time breakfast eater, and the breakfast at hotels is sub par more often than not. We can cook and do laundry very conveniently, and we always have room for another player. Of course, we pay $300 a month toward the mortgage, plus there is a yearly maintenance fee (that we can write off), but once we get it paid off, it's ours. They have locations worldwide, so we figure where ever 2B ends up playing college, we can make regular visits to watch him play.

And maybe some day we might even take a vacation that's not baseball-related!

It's not for everyone, but it does help us.
Here is our budget. $1332 per player. Hope this is not too much info. May wind up being a little more. Coach underestimated price for WWBA tourneys at East Cobb. He listed $1200 each and I believe they are $1700 or so. Of course, this is not including our travel expenses.

USSSA Insurance 195.00
UNIFORMS 18 x 280 5,040.00
Estimate Cost 280.00
JERSEY - Three
HAT - One
BELT
T SHIRTS - Two
Shorts - One
Pants - Two

TOURNAMENTS 6,100.00
5 X 500 2,500.00
3 x 1200 (Perfect Game) 3,600.00
3 - Out of town tournaments/TBD
World Series TBD

CATCHER'S GEAR 267.00
1 SET $91 91.00
2 MASKS X $88 176.00

UMPIRES 600.00
6 GAMES (EST) X $100

BASEBALLS 540.00
12 DOZEN X $45

Travel Costs (For coaches) 3,040.00
6 Nights x 4 rooms 2,160.00
24 total rooms x $90 avg
Food 6 days x $80 avg
($20 per coach) 480.00
Gas 400.00

Indoor cage time 700.00
28 hours x 25

Coaches 6,500.00
( 3 coaches) Frank ,Todd, Billy

MISC 1,000.00

TOTAL 23,982.00

$1332 per Family
Payable in one lump sum or:

On or before October 20, 2009 $500.00
On or before November 20, 2009 $208.00
On or before December 20, 2009 $208.00
On or before January 20, 2010 $208.00
On or before February 20, 2010 $208.00

Total $1,332.00
Hey you guys are right in Georgia, thats cheating. No flights, van rentals etc...

TR is right on. When the parents HAVE to travel your costs are doubled. Sure you want to see them play but most parents can't travel for weeks at a time.
There is a program that normally sends 3 or 4 teams to some of these events and he charges $1500 to play on one of the teams (a bargain). Then its $5000 plus for the recruiting service. Pay your own flights, hotels, transportation etc. Numerous parents told me that they spent in between $12 and $15K for the summer.
At some point there has to be a break even point. I know for me, my time spent on the road with my boys was PRICELESS !!
Coach May makes a good point. The traveling is what gets to be expensive. For us this Fall our only over nights stay was Az. for our Jr and Sophomore teams. Our 2010 team went to Jupitor which was planned well ahead of time to help save money. Yes, they paid for travel but it was money well spent. I think parents need to look at where they are traveling and what is the value of the event. We try to pick and choose so our parents spend wisely. We get invited to many events but chose the ones that will get is more bang for the buck. We have player who traveled to tournament in the South from SoCal before he joined our program. The parent said the trip for their son totaled about $1500.00. No colleges, below average teams and hot muggy weather. The parents thought there was no value and was money wasted. We are fortunate to be in SoCal as there is so many recruiting opportunities here.

There are teams here that will charge an initial fee of $500-$1000 and $150-$250 monthly dues. They still have to pay extra for tournaments and "special" events. They pay for "professional coaching." They will get you to the next level. We firmly believe it is the player ability and hard work that gets them to the next level.

I can't believe how much the parents of 14U, 13U and 12U teams spend on travel. Hitting 4 or 5 states a year. Skip one or two of those tournments and put it in to a college fund.
Last edited by sgvbaseball
It's not easy 2Bmom. Georgia isn't bad either, but we are doing some showcase tournaments this summer (Auburn and Univ. South Carolina) that will increase travel expenses. Fortunately, they are just weekend deals. The week long ones will add up. Our team does not really do fall, so the Ft. Myers and Jupiter tourneys will be on our own (hopefully finding a team). We went to the WWBA Underclass World Championship in Ft. Myers in October with a team from Louisiana. They basically took the tournament fee and split it among the players. Cost us $100 to the team. Pretty good. My father lives up near Port Charlotte, so we stayed with him. Really just cost food and gas. Not too bad. Jupiter will be a different story.

Can't imagine what it would be like coming from Minnesota, Maine, Wisconsin or any of those far away states to any of these events. I think Ga and Fla residents are lucky to have so much around.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.