Skip to main content

I just came across this info in another post, but wanted to pass onto the Virginia folks. Three Virginia D3 teams made the NCAA tournament. Congrats to Shenandoah, Christopher Newport and Randolph-Macon players, parents and fans. That is outstanding!

2011 NCAA D3 Tourney Selections

"I'm not a Republican or a Democrat.  I'm a member of the Cocktail Party." - Anonymous

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thats just the way they do the d3 regionals. RMC was a Pool B team as the 7th seed in the region. They get shipped out because they were more deserving than some other options in the northern regions, but would not have qualified if judged solely against this region, or so the committee felt. Regionals never have a set number of teams. I played in three regionals and each time we had a different number of teams present. When Hampden Sydney made their World Series run a few years ago they played in a 4 team regional. The last regional I played in Thomas More College out of Kentucky won it as a pool b team.
Billy, if you look at the tournament pairings for D3 this year, 5 of the 8 regionals are played at a host site where they have also placed the hosting college in that pool. Obviously gives the host team an unreasonable advantage, especially if they are #1 or #2 seed.

As for placement of CNU and SU in the same region, I don't think anybody can come up with a good reason to place the #1 and #4 team, both from the same conference, into the same region, so that one has to knock the other off to advance. I understand that there are geographical reasons to place teams nearby, but there is also latitude for logical placement of teams, which wasn't used in this instance. Totally absurd.
Division 2 & 3 Baseball Regionals are much different than D1.

Division 3 Picks the regional sites months in advance of the regional tournament. Teams place bids and the best bid gets to Host. The South Regional is hosted by Rhodes College in Memphis, TN and they aren't even in the tournament. The South Regional last year was hosted by Methodist University and they weren't in the tournament either.

The top teams facing off in D3 and D2 regionals is nothing new. In D2, the Sunshine State Conference teams, Tampa, Florida Southern, Lynn all teams that have won national championships play each in the regional to get to the world series.

Here is the current D2 Southeast Regional
Mount Olive #2
UNC-Pembroke # 7
Francis Marion #9
Columbus State # 14
Catawba # 19
Wingate- Unranked

In D2 and D3 sometimes the best teams don't make a world series because they get knocked off in the regional.

BTW,

Randolph-Macon was actually a Pool A team. Pool A teams are teams that recieve the Automatic bid to the NCAA Regional because they win their conference. They would not have made the regionals in they did'nt win their conference tournament.
quote:
Division 3 Picks the regional sites months in advance of the regional tournament. Teams place bids and the best bid gets to Host. The South Regional is hosted by Rhodes College in Memphis, TN and they aren't even in the tournament. The South Regional last year was hosted by Methodist University and they weren't in the tournament either.

Falcon,

Thanks for that clarification on the site selection. That is unfortunate for the Virginia teams. They are well represented but have no seeding benefit of playing at home. I'm not sure I fully understand why they do that, but I guess I shouldn't be too shocked when the NCAA is involved.
Fenwaysouth,

The NCAA pays for all teams that make it to post-season. They pay for hotels, meals, and TRAVEL (Airfare).

They choose the regionals months in advance because the NCAA loses money on D3 and D2 tournaments. They want to keep the teams as regionally based as possible so they don't have to fly teams all around the country like Division 1 does. The D1 regional sites (UVA, UNC, USC, Vandy, Cal State-F etc.) are awesome stadiums that can host as well.

Some D3 schools don't have the facilities to host. Shenandoah for example does not have the facility to host because of poor lights and a terrible playing surface (From experience- my face stills has scars). CNU has everything needed but can't host because they don't have lights. D3 regionals usually have 6, 7, or 8 teams as with D1 having 4 teams in the regional and a best of 3 super regional.

Most D3 teams that host have use local minor league staidums or have facilities with lights, great playing surfaces, ample seating/parking

Hope that clears it up. That's as best as I can explain it.

Great site www.d3baseball.com

Has all you need to know about NCAA Division 3 baseball.
Neat story. The starting pitcher for Shenandoah last night, Brian Goddard, has a younger brother Kyle who is a senior at Jefferson Forest High School. Kyle was the starting pitcher last night for the regular season championship game and pitched a beauty of a game. Nice that both Shenandoah and JF won.

Unfortunately, their parents had to choose between the two games (they went to Brian's game).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.