Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

thegame2003,

Glad you are enjoying the program!

I guess that kind of answers my opinion on this question. The key is to develop the core in a manner that increase force production and utilizes proper movement pattern.

The typical "core" exercises you see being done (crunches, side bends, leg lifts, cable woodchoppers, standing on wobble boards, etc.) will do very little for performance.

Most, but certainly not 100% of the time, ground-based core movements done at the correct speed and pattern will teach the body how to generate more force and power, which can lead to an increase in bat speed, throwing velocity, running speed, overall athleticism and injury prevention.
I don't think the price is bad at all. I'm paying 200$ right now for a complete nutritionist/trainer. I do have contact with him at all times though, and he is one of the best in the industry. The only thing I think is a bit laughable is the "add 10mph to your fastball" and "triple your HR power". I haven't tried the program so I can't say anything more than that...it just seems a little exaggerated. I found the packet I got from Jon about the program a bit too much...at times I felt like I was reading a credit card application letter. Just some advice from a customer...maybe it might be a good idea to go over it, it was kind of a turn off for me. Please remember I'm not meaning to be rude.
Most of my fats are from unsaturated sources, but I do eat butter on occasion and I get sat. fat from the red meat/eggs I eat (and the occasional pizza/burger/etc). My diet is higher in fat than others (40-40-20 in the summer, when practice starts carbs are higher). They are real big on controlling insulin. All my carbs come from sources such as whole grains, green vegetables, a lot of oats, etc. Honey is really the only higher GI thing that I'm supposed to eat. I eat a lot of regular potatoes, even though I'm not supposed to. I try to lower the GI with some good omega butter Smile. I also have my ectomorphic metabolism to use to my advantage. Derek is an amazing professional natural bodybuilder. He works for Scivation/Primaforce. If you'd like to talk more we can chat through email/PM/IM.
That's fine. I can't pm you, so if you want to pm me that works too.

I worry that you may not be consuming enough quality full fats and cholesterol...like most of America. Additionally, there's a lot about grains that need to be considered before making the descision to consuming them.

Have you ever been metabolically typed?

Dave
I eat whole eggs (cholesterol+fat) and red meat almost daily. I also don't shy away from foods like full fat cheddar cheese. They all have their place IMO. Metabolically typed? I have not been. When I looked it up, I found this:
http://www.healthexcel.com/. Interestingly your friend Paul Chek's name appears on the front page Big Grin. Here is a little about me that I've figured out over the years:

-I have an abnormally fast metabolism that hates to store calories of any form.

-I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to many foods, and I also bloat easily from dense carbs like oats and green veggies.

-Although my metabolism is high, my appetite is marginal...only when I went 40-40-20 did I start to be more hungry on a consistent basis.

-As far as somatotype, I'd estimate I'm about a 70/30 ecto/meso. The only place I store fat is my lower abdominals.

-My body is most definitely predominately fast-twitch...I run a 4.41 40 and a 6.7 60, deadlifted 470@152 lbs@7% bf@5'9.5 in. tall.

-Like many ectos, I have a naturally weak chest. I've benched 225 max, yet squatted over 300 and deadlifted much more.

-I respond very well to creatine supplements and hyperhydration/volumization. Naturally, my muscles are pretty flat, even w/high carbs.

So I've adjusted my diet/training accordingly. I'm always experimenting w/different training philosophies. I respond best to medium-low reps on most exercises (4-6). My favorite way to train is to train to failure on the last set, but I'm currently stopping 1 rep short. Please know that I'm not one to think that "one diet" works for everyone! That's a joke!
jsorb,

I'll respond in the order of how you stated your information.

Is the cheese raw or pasteurized?
Metabolic typing basically uses science to figure out what ratios of food best suit your individual metabolism. This information is based on research performed over the last 70 to 80+ years by men like: Dr. Roger Williams, William Wollcott and Weston A. Price to some degree...although you're liable to start a debate if you tell Sally Fallon that (she's the president of the Weston A. Price Foundation).

You mention that you're an ectomorph; I have yet to see a case of someone classified of this that doesn't gain weight when they eat for their metabolic type. From the sounds of it, you'd be classified on the far end of the "protein-type" side (this is only the VERY basics, there's actually 6 different classifications) and you'd respond better to a ratio opposite to what you're consuming now. That's right, 40 to 60% fat, 30 to 40% protein and the remainder, low GI, highly nutrient dense carbs. I have literally seen people put on 10lbs of muscle in a month by eating this way and changing nothing else about their program...I personally went over the 190lb mark for the first time after finally eating what my body really needed! I'd always been an ectomorph myself, so you can imagine how happy this made me!

You're lactose intollerant only because our dairy industry has done such a ****** job of making a quality food that is as easily digestible as it is when it is naturally occuring. In milk, cheese, yoghurt, etc. the enzyme lactase is responsible for breaking down the lactose and subsequent galactose in dairy...unfortunately, since enzymes are very temperature sensisitve, the process of pasteurization kills off this important enzyme leaving the milk sugar indigestible! If you have access to quality, range-fed, organic raw milk...take advantage of this opportunity! Try a couple glasses and you'll be surprised how much milk you can drink without bloating or having any symptoms of lactose intolerance...if you need info on where you can possibly find some, let me know and I'll direct you to some great free resources.

The creatine issue and suppliment issue for that matter are a can of worms that I will only open if you are willing to keep an open mind and realize that since I truly believe in the holistic model, there is really no grey area for me. I saw in an earlier post that you know a lot about these suppliments, but what I will try to do is show you the risks involved as well as how unbeneficial many of them are period. However, keep in mind, I fully expect you to make up your own mind, so anything I say is merely a recommendation or tip.

Do you purposefully periodize your lifting programs...or do your trainers?

Dave
Meh, only marginal access. I am also 17 so that makes money an issue as well. I can get organic honey and some vegetables on a regular basis.

If you like to discuss supplementation/diet, bodybuilding.com is the place to go. I've learned volumes from the places, straight from the best...Patrick Arnold, Bruce Kneller, William Llewlyn, etc...they're all there.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.