Skip to main content

I am an uprising sophmore and played Varsity all last year. My HS team is terrible, placed last in district, and has a coach with little knowledge about the game.
I have a hard time believing that a college scout would recruit anybody off our team. Even if the player is great would a college scout even notice? I am currently playing on a good 15U travel baseball team. Do good Hs teams get noticed more than a HS team like mine?
Baseball is like church. Many attend, but few understand. Wes Westrum IM- jce2025
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The way to get noticed in a situation like that is to hit the baseball, (I'm assuming you are a position player). Other coaches will notice, and if scouts come to see their team, they will see you.

While those coaches are plugging their own players to college coaches/scouts, SOME might say something like: "You should look at this kid named PICO2B who plays over at Horrible High. The team stinks, but he's got some potential. He's the only guy that gives us any trouble, and boy does he."

The reality is, you'll probably get more notice playing on a traveling team, and it will be by a wider variety of talent-seekers...some you would never have expected, or heard from otherwise.

AND STUDY YOUR LESSONS AS HARD AS YOU PLAY BALL. They notice that too.
Fortunately baseball , although being a team sport, is a sport in which the individual can shine--- regardless of wins and losses a players accomplishmenst stand on their own

My own son played on a HS team that won no more than 6 games in any of his three HS seasons--he got a scholarship to major Division I program and he was an Outfielder not a pitcher

Son, if you have talent and are playing on a solid travel team, hit a few showcases you will be fine.

Most college coaches could care less about what the HS team is doing.

Keep working hard and you will be fine
my son's high school team came in last place all 4 years he played with them...not many players to pick from...and our school pushes football...so not much emphasis in this area.

play summer/travel..and do take in a showcase or two...and the fall showcasing was very instrumental for our son too...

he's headed to college...and we only had 3 wins this season..

Pam
Does HS team matter? Not really.

Does your attitude towards your teammates and coaches on your HS matter? YES! (many college coaches and scouts talked to son's coaches and friends to find out what kind of kid he is and what kind of family we are).

Point is, play hard in HS, support your teammates, use it to get better. Your talent and attitude will show through.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.