Skip to main content

My son just attended a camp he is expected to graduate from high school in 2019 (14 years old) and his measurements were

60m dash  7.18
Arm velocity was 68 to 70 from short stop.  His exit velocity was 68-74
Fast Ball 73-77,
Breaking ball is 64-67
change up was 65-71

Can someone tell me if these stats is on the right track to get into a D1 college
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For a teenage boy 4 years until graduation can seem like 20 years.  So much that goes on in a young mans life in that time span.  Hormones, learning to drive, discovering girls, pressure of tests and grades.   

It almost seems like a miracle if the player still has the drive and heart to play baseball when they graduate high school. 

racquel,

There is nothing you've posted which indicates your son could or couldn't play college baseball.  Young men grow up fast and continually need to develop their bodies and understanding of baseball if they want to play in college.   What will matter is how your son performs in the next couple years, and is he able to separate himself from a crowded field of recruits either with the bat, glove, arm, legs, or academics or combinations of skills and talents. 

If this is something he really wants to do, now is the time to understand exactly what is required and what are the different paths to get there.  There is much more to college baseball than playing for a D1, but that seems to be where everybody starts because that is where the media attention lives mostly in the power conferences.  There are a lot of people on this website that have been through college baseball recruiting before and some that have been through it multiple times with their sons.  Let me sum it up to say there are many, many paths to get to college baseball.  You and your son together have to understand your son's strengths and weakenesses as well as the available paths to get to college baseball.  Some people are fortunate to find a program in days and some take a couple years.  It just depends.  Rather than provide stats from a 14 year old, I think it would be best to tell us a little more about your son's college or life goals.

If your son is like most that eventually make it to play college baseball he will have a single-mindedness to get there by playing against the best competion in high school, travel baseball/American Legion, and developing his skills.  If you include excellent or very good academics on top of that he could have a lot of choices. 

You requested honesty.  I'm being as honest as I possibly can.  Good luck, and feel free to reply to my posting or anyone else who posts in your thread.  This is your thread, so you can take this in any direction your want.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

With those measurable's he's in a good spot.  If he continues skill development, gets stronger and faster, he'll progress nicely.

My 2018 had similar numbers last year, he's grown 2" and worked hard in the gym, went from 148 to 160.  His IF velo and FB velo upped 4-5mph, Exit velo upped 6 mph. We're now working on running technique and developing routines to activate his glutes more effectively - in the past 6 weeks he dropped .4 on his 60.

So, with time and applied effort your son can also progress.  Patience and spend the time educating yourself further and aligning your son with the right program, coach's, and trainers that know baseball specific moves.

The only kids getting noticed at 14/15 are the ones that have both the skill and are physically very advanced allowing them to produce D1 project-able speeds.

You're in a good place here in the forum.

Additionally, judging by the difference in his IF velo and FB velo with a few tweaks you can get his IF velo up quickly.  At that age in a showcase most IF's are focused on smooth movement and they're not realizing the radar gun is out for a reason.  Out of the 5 or so throws he gets from SS, he has to launch a few not caring about accuracy. 

Last edited by Gov
Originally Posted by 2020dad:
For D1 those numbers are probably just a tad behind pace.  The pitch velocity is very close to on track and may be when the season comes along.  The exit velocity is well off the pace.  Is he more of a pitcher?  All he can control is his work effort.

He plays short stop, pitches and catches.  But mainly plays the first two but good at all three.  Thank you for your honest opinion

Originally Posted by Gov:

With those measurable's he's in a good spot.  If he continues skill development, gets stronger and faster, he'll progress nicely.

My 2018 had similar numbers last year, he's grown 2" and worked hard in the gym, went from 148 to 160.  His IF velo and FB velo upped 4-5mph, Exit velo upped 6 mph. We're now working on running technique and developing routines to activate his glutes more effectively - in the past 6 weeks he dropped .4 on his 60.

So, with time and applied effort your son can also progress.  Patience and spend the time educating yourself further and aligning your son with the right program, coach's, and trainers that know baseball specific moves.

The only kids getting noticed at 14/15 are the ones that have both the skill and are physically very advanced allowing them to produce D1 project-able speeds.

You're in a good place here in the forum.

Additionally, judging by the difference in his IF velo and FB velo with a few tweaks you can get his IF velo up quickly.  At that age in a showcase most IF's are focused on smooth movement and they're not realizing the radar gun is out for a reason.  Out of the 5 or so throws he gets from SS, he has to launch a few not caring about accuracy. 

Thank you so much for answering my question.  I am trying my best to understand the baseball culture as  my son has expressed wanting to play college and professional baseball. This was his first time at a camp and receiving any measurements on his ability so I'm trying to educated myself to better assist him. He has express that he would like to play for Vanderbilt which I think is a D1 university hence me asking the question. Again thanks

Originally Posted by racquel:
For D1 those numbers are probably just a tad behind pace.  The pitch velocity is very close to on track and may be when the season comes along.  The exit velocity is well off the pace.  Is he more of a pitcher?  All he can control is his work effort.

He plays short stop, pitches and catches.  But mainly plays the first two but good at all three.  Thank you for your honest opinion

If he continues to play all 3 positions he may never see any college field. Make sure he is used correctly , doesn't pitch in same game he catches and doesn't leave the mound to play SS.  

And plenty of rest. Follow the ASMI guidelines.

Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

racquel,

There is nothing you've posted which indicates your son could or couldn't play college baseball.  Young men grow up fast and continually need to develop their bodies and understanding of baseball if they want to play in college.   What will matter is how your son performs in the next couple years, and is he able to separate himself from a crowded field of recruits either with the bat, glove, arm, legs, or academics or combinations of skills and talents. 

If this is something he really wants to do, now is the time to understand exactly what is required and what are the different paths to get there.  There is much more to college baseball than playing for a D1, but that seems to be where everybody starts because that is where the media attention lives mostly in the power conferences.  There are a lot of people on this website that have been through college baseball recruiting before and some that have been through it multiple times with their sons.  Let me sum it up to say there are many, many paths to get to college baseball.  You and your son together have to understand your son's strengths and weakenesses as well as the available paths to get to college baseball.  Some people are fortunate to find a program in days and some take a couple years.  It just depends.  Rather than provide stats from a 14 year old, I think it would be best to tell us a little more about your son's college or life goals.

If your son is like most that eventually make it to play college baseball he will have a single-mindedness to get there by playing against the best competion in high school, travel baseball/American Legion, and developing his skills.  If you include excellent or very good academics on top of that he could have a lot of choices. 

You requested honesty.  I'm being as honest as I possibly can.  Good luck, and feel free to reply to my posting or anyone else who posts in your thread.  This is your thread, so you can take this in any direction your want.

I do understand and knew most thing you said.  I guess I was trying to know whether my sons measurements were below average, average or above average at this age.  He has expressed wanting to play for a D1 school so I'm trying to align him up with his aspiration.  He is an honor roll student.  Presently he has joined a summer travel team, he goes to hitting and pitching lessons, p lays fall ball etc. He wants to play baseball professional as well as become an anesthesiologist which I tell him is a tall order but I try to stare him the best I can. Thank you for responding to my question

My son just attended a camp he is expected to graduate from high school in 2019 (14 years old) and his measurements were

60m dash  7.18
Fast Ball 73-77,
Breaking ball is 64-67
change up was 65-71

Can someone tell me if these stats is on the right track to get into a D1 college

What is his height and weight and how tall is his father...?

Originally Posted by TPM:

If he continues to play all 3 positions he may never see any college field. Make sure he is used correctly , doesn't pitch in same game he catches and doesn't leave the mound to play SS.  

And plenty of rest. Follow the ASMI guidelines.

Thanks for that tip.  No he doesn't even catch now.  i was just saying what positions he can play.  Right now he is only playing shortstop.  During the summer he did pitching. 

Originally Posted by Bolts-Coach-PR:

60m dash  7.18
Fast Ball 73-77,
Breaking ball is 64-67
change up was 65-71

What is his height and weight and how tall is his father...?

He is 5ft 8, 140lbs. His dad is 5ft 8

As others have said its a little too early to tell.  Lots of development between now and his JR. year of HS.  To give you an idea of what we are experiencing, here are my sons measurable from a showcase he did when he was at the same point in the process as your son:

60 - 7.4

Arm Velo 75

FB 76-79

BB 65-69

CU 67-69

Exit Velo 89

"body projects"

At the time he was 6'3" 170.  He is now a JR in HS and is 6'4" 185 and adding muscle pretty much every day.  Lots of lean protein, stretching and flexibility work 2 days a week, weights 3 days a week and "general" baseball skills stuff on the weekend.  It has been the off season and his "rest" period.  Starting next week things are about to ratchet up again.  We haven't done a traditional showcase in the last year so I don't have his current measurable but if I had to guess I would say he has gain a lot of foot speed and his FB is now in the mid 80s if not a touch higher.  Exit Velo has also gone up.  He is now mostly a pitcher.  Was a two way player up until this year.  He does play some OF on his non pitching days, no longer plays 1b.

Right now we are seeing some interest from mid-DI schools in the midwest.  Which is perfect for us as that seems to be where he wants to end up.  We have not done a lot of communicating with DII, DIII or NAIA schools.  Most of the schools that have seen him play are DI schools.  I won't say the "love" is overwhelming but we are getting some interest.  Hopefully it will ratchet up some as we progress into the season and do some showcasing as well as play in front of more college guys.  

Right now the players (2017s) we see getting lots of "love" in our area are a LHP who was throwing high 80s last summer.  He has committed to TCU.  In addition we have a SS with range you have to see to believe.  Solid contact hitter at the plate, but not a major power hitter.  Probably one of, if not the top, 60 times in our area.  He played on this years under-class Area Code team.  Right now he is hearing from a lot of the larger midwest DI schools.  Some, but not much, from the south and west coast.

Last edited by joes87

Raquel,

joes87 brings up a great point that you need to seriously build into your thinking: you can't benchmark apples to oranges.

Apples: Raquelson's metrics as they stand right now without ongoing lessons/training, without strength and conditioning, without a nutritional plan, without a speed plan, without specialized training, e.g., weighted ball program.

Oranges: Raquelson's metrics AFTER the implementation of these program elements.

The answer really is: IDK. Repost the question in 6 months after the following is done:

1) Set measurable objectives across the aforementioned elements

2) Build (and spend on) a plan to achieve those elements

3) Execute without showing quarter: no excuses

Let's see those metrics after 1-2-3 is done so that there is real projectability. Don't waste time: get the foundation in place this weekend.

racquel,  I would not worry myself with Vanderbilt , D1 or even thinking of college at this point. As others have said he is going to change mentally and physically many times in the next three years. 

I am not saying to not have dreams and goals but rather develop a plan so that when the time comes he will have many options. Most baseball players want to play for Vanderbilt or play professionally but the reality is 99% will not for many reasons.

Again don't crush the dreams but have a plan for more options. As he grows and plays more baseball his views and his own expectations are going to change.  Also he is going to have many highs and lows while going through the process.

His numbers are not bad but they are not going to make the top D1's take notice, but that's ok for now.  I would follow a plan something like this.  Decide if you can, to either be a pitcher or an infielder. Does he want to play every day?  Is his mind set that of a defensive player or an offensive player?  Being a pitcher requires different training schedules and not as much field time. Honestly, at his size and his father's size I would lean towards infielder.  He will have a better chance in my opinion to play more and longer at either SS or 2nd.  That's not to say he cannot pitch for his HS team if they need him.  I would also get on a good showcase team that is going to attend well scouted events.  There is a difference between a travel/all-star team and a showcase team.  After you get the summer team lined up, look at the calendar for a year forward and decide when the HS teams starts practice and plays their season. Look at the events he will attend in the summer and fall and also schedule his down time from playing, where he gets away from the game a bit and rest his body.

Maybe after his sophomore season attend a PG showcase so professionals can give you a true opinion of his abilities.  There are many many knowledgeable people on the board, but no having seen him play its very tough to have an opinion.

As he gets older and you said he is leaning towards the medical field visit schools that have the degree that he needs. I would find 4 schools at different levels, D3, D2, D1 and NAIA.  Once you get to this point you will have a better feel of the level that he can play at and the schools that will have his degree.  Then go visit those schools watch their games and practices.  Determine if he would be happy playing at said school and attending class.   I have many sons playing college and high school baseball and everyone is a different player, person and student.  Make sure you find the place where he can thrive , the level does not matter as much as people think is does.

Racquel, I will probably get blasted for this opinion, but it's simply my opinion.  When my son was your son's age, he had dreams and aspirations of playing for a major D1 and playing in MLB.  We had this exact discussion multiple times in our house.  My wife would always caution, don't shoot for the stars because you may wind up disappointed and hurt.  She always believed he needed a back up plan.

I look at things differently.  If I have a back up plan, does that mean I'm not fully committed to my dream or I have doubts about achieving it?  The way I think, I am full bore after my dream.  The thought never crossed my mind, "What if I don't succeed?"  I never wanted my son to have a back up plan.  I wanted him to set a goal, then focus ALL his energy and efforts in making that dream a reality.

In fact, Vanderbilt was one of his top choices.  I used that to my advantage to stress to him the importance of keeping his GPA up.  My son is not the most studious, but he worked in the classroom because I used that to explain to him those type colleges would not be an option for him if he didn't keep above a 3.5 GPA.  Well he graduated with a GPA just north of 3.5 and secured a scholarship to his "dream" school.

Would things have worked out differently if he had a "back up" plan?  We will never know.  Just one dad's opinion on dreams.  You will never reach your dream if you don't have one.  If you are afraid to fail, you will never succeed.

Last edited by younggun
Originally Posted by younggun:

Racquel, I will probably get blasted for this opinion, but it's simply my opinion.  When my son was your son's age, he had dreams and aspirations of playing for a major D1 and playing in MLB.  We had this exact discussion multiple times in our house.  My wife would always caution, don't shoot for the stars because you may wind up disappointed and hurt.  She always believed he needed a back up plan.

I look at things differently.  If I have a back up plan, does that mean I'm not fully committed to my dream or I have doubts about achieving it?  The way I think, I am full bore after my dream.  The thought never crossed my mind, "What if I don't succeed?"  I never wanted my son to have a back up plan.  I wanted him to set a goal, then focus ALL his energy and efforts in making that dream a reality.

In fact, Vanderbilt was one of his top choices.  I used that to my advantage to stress to him the importance of keeping his GPA up.  My son is not the most studious, but he worked in the classroom because I used that to explain to him those type colleges would not be an option for him if he didn't keep above a 3.5 GPA.  Well he graduated with a GPA just north of 3.5 and secured a scholarship to his "dream" school.

Would things have worked out differently if he had a "back up" plan?  We will never know.  Just one dad's opinion on dreams.  You will never reach your dream if you don't have one.  If you are afraid to fail, you will never succeed.

That's why it's good to have two parents -- one that urges you to dream large, one that urges you to keep your head out of the clouds.  i come down on the dream large side of things myself.  Don't believe you achieve big things by being cautious and self-protective.   Have a dream, work like hell to make it a reality.   if it doesn't work out, pick yourself up and keep trucking.  My wife is much the opposite --- don't set yourself up for disappointment.   Have back up plans, be realistic.   Maybe if a kid hears both sides -- one in the left ear and other other in the right, he will find his own balance between them.

Last edited by SluggerDad

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything you said.  For American kids that want to play in college, academics are as important as all of their baseball skills.  In almost all cases.

One thing I haven't seen addressed is the issue of grades and character. The most common question I receive from college coaches about players in our program is "How are his grades?" Minimum GPA requirements for NCAA participation are rising steadily, and that trend will likely continue. Also, coaches want to know about a players character. They can't afford to put a player in their program who is going to cause problems on their campus. Finally, the average college player receives a small portion of their college expenses as scholarship aid. Currently, D-I schools have 11.75 scholarships, so fielding a roster of 35-36 players means most receive -- on average -- 1/3 of a scholarship (only a very small percentage of college players receive anywhere near a full scholarship). If his grades are high enough, and he is classified as an "academic player" because of his GPA, he is likely to receive more financial aid through academics than athletics. That, of course, is an ideal scenario. All this is to say that regardless of his ability (and he sounds like he could wind up being a good player), grades and character will play roles equal to any athletic ability he exhibits. Best of luck to him and to you.

youngun wrote "My son is not the most studious, but he worked in the classroom because I used that to explain to him those type colleges would not be an option for him if he didn't keep above a 3.5 GPA.  Well he graduated with a GPA just north of 3.5...."

^^^that's the ticket, the reason for baseball (other sports/passions).  For a very, very few, they are athletically and academically gifted.  If you're lucky, you get one of them.  Most get neither as a gift.  If chasing the baseball dream gets my son through college, he has hit a "home run".

If it's only in High School, and it keeps him from sneaking behind the seven/eleven to drink beer with other kids, that's at home run too.

Originally Posted by Go44dad:

youngun wrote "My son is not the most studious, but he worked in the classroom because I used that to explain to him those type colleges would not be an option for him if he didn't keep above a 3.5 GPA.  Well he graduated with a GPA just north of 3.5...."

^^^that's the ticket, the reason for baseball (other sports/passions).  For a very, very few, they are athletically and academically gifted.  If you're lucky, you get one of them.  Most get neither as a gift.  If chasing the baseball dream gets my son through college, he has hit a "home run".

If it's only in High School, and it keeps him from sneaking behind the seven/eleven to drink beer with other kids, that's at home run too.

My son presently has a 3.4 gpa 

As others have said, there are so many variables and so much growth to be done that it's hard to predict where your son will be in a couple of years.

If you have a few spare dollars a month, you may want to get a subscription on the Perfect Game website.  You can do a ton of research there to see what colleges that your son is interested in look for in baseball players.

For example, you mentioned Vanderbilt. On the PG website I can see that they have class of 2018 commitments from a few players.  It looks like the short stops are throwing 84+ across the infield. Their 2017 commits at that position look to be 86+ across the infield. Pitchers all seem to be at least 90.

That's not to say your son can't get to those speeds - but it will give you an idea of what Vanderbilt looks for in their players.  Needless to say, that is one of the best baseball programs in the country, and there are countless opportunities to play in college even if you aren't at those measurables.

I think the PG website is a great resource to realistic goals for many players. If they have their heart set on a particular school, they can see where they need to get to with their skills in order to have a shot.

I do understand and knew most thing you said.  I guess I was trying to know whether my sons measurements were below average, average or above average at this age.  He has expressed wanting to play for a D1 school so I'm trying to align him up with his aspiration.  He is an honor roll student.  Presently he has joined a summer travel team, he goes to hitting and pitching lessons, p lays fall ball etc. He wants to play baseball professional as well as become an anesthesiologist which I tell him is a tall order but I try to stare him the best I can. Thank you for responding to my question

You're welcome.  So, based on your son's goals I think it is fair to say that he aspires to be a top 1% of college baseball recruits (Vandy is a top 5 baseball school year after year...they have 15 freshmen listed on 2016 roster) and a top 5% academic (approx.), aspiring to be a Dr of Anesthesiogy.   Those numbers are small and the talent is elite in both career categories of baseball and medicine, but that is not my point. 

My point is there are situations and college baseball programs where I know this (college baseball & medicine) is doable but there are tradeoffs.  Certainly Vanderbilt or others like it can be the answer, but there are many more options out there that can be a fit for your son's dream.  As the parent of a 2019 I see that as the biggest challenge for you or anyone.  As you spend more time on HSBBWeb, go to elite national showcases, take AP classes, and ACT/SATs test you'll get a sense of the talent level and results required.  My son is not a Doctor, but he played college baseball with a handful of players who are in Medical & Dental school at this very moment.  They had very good college baseball careers and appear to be doing well in Medical school.  It can be done but it is a long road and it wasn't by accident.  My son referred to one of his former teammates as a "1 percenter among 1 percenters".  The guy is brilliant.   They found one of those "paths" that I referred to earlier.   Thankfully, college baseball comes in all shapes and sizes and your son may have the opportunity to pick the one that best fits his goals. 

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Racquel:

I would tend to agree with bacdoor that racquelson probably projects more as Middle Infield. Comparing freshman years, our sons are close in terms of stature, MPH, etc, though RipkenSon's speed was quicker. Some of your son's numbers will improve (60 time lower, MPH higher) due to natural growth. But it will take effort, work, desire, and a plan (weight program, bands) to put your son to a point where he's getting attention at the level of school mentioned. As others mentioned, there are several unknowns to get from Point A to Point B. My son's MPH increased 15 MPH in three years, so it can happen with the proper direction and DESIRE.

And now for a question some may be thinking. How are his grades?

Putting together a plan to help your son achieve his dreams: classwork, skill development, strength, speed, and being a good teammate who's accountable.

You're doing your son a great service by starting this thread.  Incredible amount of feedback in how many hours?  Wow.

If your son is interested in medicine as well, look at the academic schools that have baseball programs tailored around being a serious student (IVY's etc.)  (IF you're taking "lab" classes as a player it's a challenge to keep up if your'e on a rigorous schedule top D1 program).  

Look at the baseball rosters of these schools then contrast those players with their profiles on Perfect Game.  You'll see the progression of velocity and growth through their high school careers, as well as their GPA's/ACT's.

You're likely gaining a dose of reality here, but also, anything is possible.

Good luck

My son has a dream school too.  Like young gun I would never tell him not to dream that dream.  But at the same time it is a big dream just like your son and Vanderbilt.   It is walking that fine line between encouraging his dream and making sure he understands there may have to be a plan b, c, d or z!  Your son will probably not be gifted with great size.  Yes there can be exceptions as young gun also pointed out.  But the overwhelming odds are he won't be very tall.  I am a little blunt but it really is in an effort to help.  I would focus on the hitting end of things.  Not that I would give up on pitching but that will be a very very difficult road.  Exit velocity is much more improvable with strength than is pitching velocity.  First step is to find a strength and fitness coach who will get him strong strong strong!  Work every day on fielding.  Be a wizzard with the glove.  Work on 2B.  It may be a stereotype but it is a stereotype for a reason.  Be the stereotypical 2B and be great at it.  Not good but great.  Focus on that one thing.  Over and over and over.  Rep after rep.  Maybe mom should buy a fungo bat!  Empty your bucket rapid fire.  He fields and drops in his bucket.  When yours is empty and his is full switch and repeat over and over.  When he can't get to a field or a facility throw a ball against the basement wall and field it.  Work on turning the double play constantly.  You can flip him balls while he works on turning the double play.  In the basement you can flip to him he can turn it and throw into a net 10 feet away.  Don't need a ton of space.  Batting cage in the basement.   Or maybe just a net for flips and tee work.  How bad does he want it?  Hours every day.  Every day.  He is a little behind pace and for his goals you could argue a lot behind pace.  Give up the vandy dream or start working like a fiend toward catching up on the goal?  Up to him.  But also start developing plan b, c, d etc.  In the words of Jimmy v, never give up, never ever give up!
Originally Posted by Ripken Fan:

Racquel:

I would tend to agree with bacdoor that racquelson probably projects more as Middle Infield. Comparing freshman years, our sons are close in terms of stature, MPH, etc, though RipkenSon's speed was quicker. Some of your son's numbers will improve (60 time lower, MPH higher) due to natural growth. But it will take effort, work, desire, and a plan (weight program, bands) to put your son to a point where he's getting attention at the level of school mentioned. As others mentioned, there are several unknowns to get from Point A to Point B. My son's MPH increased 15 MPH in three years, so it can happen with the proper direction and DESIRE.

And now for a question some may be thinking. How are his grades?

At present his GPA is 3.4

I believe in shooting for the moon!  Understanding it won't be easy! If and when reaching the moon becomes impossible make an adjustment.

racquel,

The numbers are only part of the story.  Someone would have to watch your son play in order to give you a better idea of his potential.

The 60 running time is good for his age, but first step quickness and instincts are more important.  If he has that he will improve those running times as he gets older and stronger.

Most everyone increases their throwing ability and velocity as they grow older.  However, some have the arm action and body control (athleticism) that show more future potential.

While all the numbers end up being very important, players peak ability is reached at different times.  So a 14-15 year old throwing 73 mph, could end up throwing 95 mph, or he could end up throwing 75 mph. Some of this happens naturally, but to reach his potential it will take a lot of effort.

Also, everyone is correct regarding the importance of academics when it comes to college baseball.  Of course, every recruiter will need to know if you can get into their school.  And yes it can make a player much more attractive and create better opportunities. At the same time, if the goal is DI, the most important thing they look for is talent.  Without enough baseball ability they (coaches) really could care less what your GPA or test score is. If you have enough talent they will want you.  But with poor grades their hands are tied at many programs.

I see we have several members here that have younger players.  I think that is great and over time this site might really help them.  Personally, I love baseball stories, so even if I don't know them, it will be  fun to follow some of these young kids stories.  Hopefully there are a lot of positive stories.

A word to those parents of young players regarding the HSBBW.  The people that contribute here are mostly parents.  The combined experience simply can't be found anywhere else.  These parents include those with incredible success stories involving their sons.  And every single one of them has experienced the failures and heart breaks that come with baseball.  If someone hasn't yet experienced those disappointments, they will in time.  The other thing I have noticed here over the years,  these same parents that have so much experience with baseball, all understand there are much more important things than baseball.  Good kids are more important than good baseball players.  But it's great for the game when the good kids are also the best players. i.e. Mike Trout, Carlos Correa, etc.

Originally Posted by bacdorslider:
So he plays at Vandy?

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 9:28 AM, HS Baseball Web <alerts@hoop.la> wrote:
>

Not sure if that question was for me?  If so, no son is not at Vandy.  Vandy was in his top three, but not his dream school.  Son is at LSU, which is not the same academically, but I would argue equal athletically.

LSU must be an awesome place to play baseball.  If I'm not mistaken they regularly lead the NCAA in baseball attendance and by a pretty hefty margin. 

Those numbers seem to be just about what my son was at that age. 

He was 5'8, maybe 140 at the time.

by the end of his senior year in HS he was up to 91 and is playing at a D!

He's now 6' and 185 (15 of those since he got to school in September)

As others have said, numbers aren't the only thing that will determine where/if he plays in college....but at this point, I'd say your son is doing ok.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.