Skip to main content

Ever since 12 yo I have been good at baseball. I was on the "A Allstar Team"....My team went to New Mexico for the Connie Mack WS.....and I was Freshman MVP. There's only one problem: I don't feel the love for the game that I should and I don't want to try out just because I know I will make it, when there are kids that REALLY want it and don't make it because of me. The sport I have liked recently is Track and I know i could run outdoor....I just don't want to leave all my teammates behind in the dust and just give them the cold shoulder. I have been thinking about this for a couple months. Here's an example:

My dad has been asking me if I need any new equipment and when I was 12,13,14 I would be SOOOO excited but now I'm just like, "Nah not really" and I don't even care.

Has anyone had this experience and what did they do. I have a feeling I will start to love it again after a while into the Season but If im going to Quit i need to now.

Thanks in Advance
plp556

P.S. My team has a VERY good chance at winning States this year so I've been telling myself,"If you play this year, you can be part of something amazing".

UPDATE:
Ive bot good and bad news:

Good: I have found the love of the game that I thought I had lost.

Bad: During our 2nd scrimmage I broke my finger going into second and the ER doc said im out for 4 weeks and then some PT.

I am totally distraught because I STUMBLED running the bases and it's my fault this happened. I wasn't upset because of the pain on the drive to the hospital.....it was me knowing that I was the one who caused this and I was an idio. It's my junior year and my most important year. It was such a good hit (line drive over right feilder) I was finally showing the coach what I could do. I could have been a big impact on this team and now its over for a while. Has anyone had any experienc with this?

3/20- Just met with the orthopedic and he said 6 weeks in his opinion until I can swing a bat hard.....may be less
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PLP556;
It sounds like your board with the game, maybe it's to easy for you.
Not challanged enough.
Sometime's great athletes don't feel as passionate as they think they should feel about the Game.
There's nothing wrong with that feeling, I'm sure there are lots of Pro players that think of baseball as Just there Job.
Challenge yourself, Create goals and try to achieve them.
Whatever you Do,
Do it with no regrets.
Don't look back later and say I shouldn't have done that.
Good Luck the EH
It's not that I am not competitive it's just that I have found other things that I would rather do. I do put alot of effort in. I had 14 Weeks of Pitching and Hitting clinics in the summer. What puts it in perspective is when I have sitting in baseball listing to the coach and I'm bored and I see the track kids run by I just think how I could be there instead. I know it sounds stupid.
Sounds to me like you are growing up! And have other interests.
Lotsof boys your age realie thre are thr things in life besides baseball, it is not a bad thing.
Sit down and have a serioss talk with your folks.
Make your decision based on what will make you happy, not others.
Good luck!
Thanks TPM and TheEH.... I will try my best to make this decision.

I had this similar situation in 9th grade but I played and had a great year hitting around .500 and getting MVP. I think I might start to like it if I start playing and doing good but I don't like all the "ifs" and "buts" in that. I want to play cuz I love it, not cuz I WILL SOONER or later like it.
i had the same situation when I was about 13 I have played AAU since I was 9 and didn't play that fall kind of a burn out period. I wasn't as good because I didn't work as hard, didn't lift weights, didn't hit any. Now i'm 16 and LOVE the game. I started to see the it's not "just gonna happen" u have to make it happen. I worked hard in the weight room, and hit about 200 balls a day. I earned freshman MVP my first year in high school. This year I'm at a different school and am competing at shortstop with a kid that might get drafted out of high school. I know I'll probably play 2nd but the infield coach said I'm just as smooth as the other kid at short, just not as much range and speed. The hard work payed off, and I can't wait for our first game which is tomarrow. The harder you work, and the more results you see the more you will grow a love for the game. It's up to you, but I think a game as complicated as baseball, is a lot more fun then just running. Do whatever is best for you, but just know it's a great game, and the glory of it will last forever.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Missouri-BB-Dad:
plp556

So your options are simple. Play or not play. Whatever you do though, do not reluctantly decide to play and then quit during the season. Once you make a committment, make sure you keep it and give your all. QUOTE]

Completely agree with MBBD

Whatever you do, do it 100% and don't regret your decision.

Ps: being part of a championship team is awsome for any sport

Being part of a championship team for baseball is phenomenal!
tater
Personal story;
I grew up being a football fan. As I neared high school no other sport interested me. My senior year was a continuous onslaught of injuries. Required 2 operations to repair knee and shoulder.
The passion fades.
My brother, 6 years younger, competes in track while I work go to school and dream about what may have been. I become a track fan because I am a fan of my brother and I become interested in Javelin Throwing because I could always throw things pretty far.
You have personal records, scool records etc etc all the way to World standards.
There's always a level to which you can compare yourself to.
I became hooked and 5 years later I made the Olympic team.
Lesson being go to where your passion lies. That's where you'll go the furthest.
BTW Both my sons are baseball players of some abilty (I Think) and I haven't watched more than one football game in any given season for the last 10 years.
Life is change.
Rollerman
My son is feeling the same way. He's 15 and he is probably the best baseball player in our town but he wants to do other things. He is going to play freshman ball and then he wants to play golf. My suggestion is that you take a break and go run track. Don't be pressured by other people to do something you are bored with.
Parents,
Please take note. This is something that I see often when kids are focusing year round on mechanics and the swing and pitching and all of the minute breakdowns of everything they do. Rarely, do they find time to read about baseball and watch a game and enjoy the history. Baseball is not just about the swing and the throw and how to be more mechanically efficient. It is about the smell of the leather in your glove, the dust in the air when the wind blows. The feel when you dive for a ball and make the play. The "tick" you hear but don't even feel when you hit the ball just right. Good luck plp, do what makes you happy. From a former Connie Mack WS alumnus, and current coach I hope you find the passion to match your talent. Good luck in all you do.
dad10

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Baseball is an extracuricular activity. After we get out of school those activities are called hobbies. The purpose of these activities is enjoyments. So, yes I think you would get the same reply from folks if it was the math club or yearbook staff etc.

No doubt there are many life lessons to be learned by playing a team sport - but it is not on the same level as your classroom endeavors.
Last edited by AParent
It's much easier to love a sport when you're the team MVP and things are going well. Success is what makes things fun. However, every sport will have challenges along the way and track will, too.

If you want to run track because you love to run and would still love it if you weren't the state champ, then that's probably where your heart is. However, if you're leaving baseball because you've hit a bump in the road and don't want to risk struggle or failure, be sure to take some time to think it through.
hsballcoach applaude

AParent/dad10: Yes. Baseball is about enjoyment for the kids. But, for the parents of the kids it's also about putting their sons and daughters in a structured environment to also learn the values of teamwork, committment, hard work, etc. These are the things that will stay with kids for a lifetime whether they realize it or not.

So, quiting baseball to try tennis, track, golf or whatever makes a kid happy can result in the same values learned.

We, of course, prefer this great game of baseball.
I wasn’t really comparing anything. I was just throwing the thought out there to let people think. Outside the box a little.

I suspect that if a lot of kids here went to their folks and said they just didn’t feel interested in the honors classes anymore, but wanted to take basic entry-level classes instead, especially after being in the higher level academics program their whole school career, the parents would not be willing to say “well whatever you want, just have fun.”

On a related note, and I apologise for going off-topic here a bit. Just a bit . . .

quote: “No doubt there are many life lessons to be learned by playing a team sport - but it is not on the same level as your classroom endeavors.”

Right you are. In many cases baseball is a whole lot more worthwhile and informative than what passes as classroom endeavors. There are more than a few kids who are round pegs being forced into the very square hole known as school. Some kids aren’t cut out for it, and fail miserably in attempt after attempt. Those kids then are disqualified from HS ball even though they may have all the talent in the world. It may be one of the few things they can do that gives them a sense of worth. But what are they told? “You can’t play.”

“But it’s fun and I like it!”

“It may be fun. You can hit, field, throw and pitch, but you can’t do math, so no baseball for you.”
Dear old Dad-

Sophmore year I played JV. I hit .325 and batted 8th or 9th all year long....which upset me cuz the stats showed I was better then the 2-7 hitters. I did not get a long with the coach but the teammates were awsome. We had alot of fun together. Now that the season is over I have my JV coach for P.E. and he is awsome. The Varsity Seniors this year and me don't really get along.

Plp556

PS I had a good time today at Try-outs so hopefully things are coming around.
PLP556:
Juniors are not supposed to get along with Seniors. LOL
It sounds like your haveing a better time now with Baseball and Tryouts.
Have a great season, Just sit back and play the game for what it is, A GAME.
Don't let anything stop you from haveing fun.
Set Goals for yourself and try to achieve them during the season. Good Luck the EH
Ive bot good and bad news:

Good: I have found the love of the game that I thought I had lost.

Bad: During our 2nd scrimmage I broke my finger going into second and the ER doc said im out for 4 weeks and then some PT.

I am totally distraught because I STUMBLED running the bases and it's my fault this happened. I wasn't upset because of the pain on the drive to the hospital.....it was me knowing that I was the one who caused this and I was an idio. It's my junior year and my most important year. It was such a good hit (line drive over right feilder) I was finally showing the coach what I could do. I could have been a big impact on this team and now its over for a while. Has anyone had any experienc with this?

Thanks
plp556

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.