Skip to main content

Parents,
Please take note. This is something that I see often when kids are focusing year round on mechanics and the swing and pitching and all of the minute breakdowns of everything they do. Rarely, do they find time to read about baseball and watch a game and enjoy the history. Baseball is not just about the swing and the throw and how to be more mechanically efficient. It is about the smell of the leather in your glove, the dust in the air when the wind blows. The feel when you dive for a ball and make the play. The "tick" you hear but don't even feel when you hit the ball just right. Good luck plp, do what makes you happy. From a former Connie Mack WS alumnus, and current coach I hope you find the passion to match your talent. Good luck in all you do.
dad10

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Baseball is an extracuricular activity. After we get out of school those activities are called hobbies. The purpose of these activities is enjoyments. So, yes I think you would get the same reply from folks if it was the math club or yearbook staff etc.

No doubt there are many life lessons to be learned by playing a team sport - but it is not on the same level as your classroom endeavors.
Last edited by AParent
It's much easier to love a sport when you're the team MVP and things are going well. Success is what makes things fun. However, every sport will have challenges along the way and track will, too.

If you want to run track because you love to run and would still love it if you weren't the state champ, then that's probably where your heart is. However, if you're leaving baseball because you've hit a bump in the road and don't want to risk struggle or failure, be sure to take some time to think it through.
hsballcoach applaude

AParent/dad10: Yes. Baseball is about enjoyment for the kids. But, for the parents of the kids it's also about putting their sons and daughters in a structured environment to also learn the values of teamwork, committment, hard work, etc. These are the things that will stay with kids for a lifetime whether they realize it or not.

So, quiting baseball to try tennis, track, golf or whatever makes a kid happy can result in the same values learned.

We, of course, prefer this great game of baseball.
I wasn’t really comparing anything. I was just throwing the thought out there to let people think. Outside the box a little.

I suspect that if a lot of kids here went to their folks and said they just didn’t feel interested in the honors classes anymore, but wanted to take basic entry-level classes instead, especially after being in the higher level academics program their whole school career, the parents would not be willing to say “well whatever you want, just have fun.”

On a related note, and I apologise for going off-topic here a bit. Just a bit . . .

quote: “No doubt there are many life lessons to be learned by playing a team sport - but it is not on the same level as your classroom endeavors.”

Right you are. In many cases baseball is a whole lot more worthwhile and informative than what passes as classroom endeavors. There are more than a few kids who are round pegs being forced into the very square hole known as school. Some kids aren’t cut out for it, and fail miserably in attempt after attempt. Those kids then are disqualified from HS ball even though they may have all the talent in the world. It may be one of the few things they can do that gives them a sense of worth. But what are they told? “You can’t play.”

“But it’s fun and I like it!”

“It may be fun. You can hit, field, throw and pitch, but you can’t do math, so no baseball for you.”
Dear old Dad-

Sophmore year I played JV. I hit .325 and batted 8th or 9th all year long....which upset me cuz the stats showed I was better then the 2-7 hitters. I did not get a long with the coach but the teammates were awsome. We had alot of fun together. Now that the season is over I have my JV coach for P.E. and he is awsome. The Varsity Seniors this year and me don't really get along.

Plp556

PS I had a good time today at Try-outs so hopefully things are coming around.
PLP556:
Juniors are not supposed to get along with Seniors. LOL
It sounds like your haveing a better time now with Baseball and Tryouts.
Have a great season, Just sit back and play the game for what it is, A GAME.
Don't let anything stop you from haveing fun.
Set Goals for yourself and try to achieve them during the season. Good Luck the EH
Ive bot good and bad news:

Good: I have found the love of the game that I thought I had lost.

Bad: During our 2nd scrimmage I broke my finger going into second and the ER doc said im out for 4 weeks and then some PT.

I am totally distraught because I STUMBLED running the bases and it's my fault this happened. I wasn't upset because of the pain on the drive to the hospital.....it was me knowing that I was the one who caused this and I was an idio. It's my junior year and my most important year. It was such a good hit (line drive over right feilder) I was finally showing the coach what I could do. I could have been a big impact on this team and now its over for a while. Has anyone had any experienc with this?

Thanks
plp556

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.