Skip to main content

I am wondering with baseball becoming a year round sport, when do you coaches allow your kids for down time to gain strength.

I mean if they play fall baseball then they are going to have to do the intense lifting around their schedule. To gain strength you need to hit it hard and build some mass. (high weight and low reps.)

Do any programs still try to build muscle mass in the fall. My opinion is that you cant do both, build mass and play.

Especially pitchers...

Just looking for some opinions on when these kids get some down time to lift and get stronger and become better athletes...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Train, your right I attented Rockwall last year and they do a REALLY tuff program it is spread out with everything, but the 1st 55 days is running and lifting, the weights werent major but the running was! when you lifted it was speed weight "little wieght alot of reps" it really helped me out and it payed off. gonna miss it there. Frown
sure does, when I first moved to Rockwall I weighed about 220 lbs and going through the program i got down to about 200/205 lbs and my fastball gained a good 4 to 5 mph, of course with a little help on the side by my dad, but what I am trying to say is that it works good and its a perfect baseball workout with light weight and ALOT of running. Heavy weight only makes you stiff and is TOO hard on your arm for pitchers that is Big Grin
Last edited by OPson11
Jesuit's baseball program is actually really forcing alot of light weights with tons of reps and stretching, me myself have found it WAY more productive then the past two years, and you dont have to put on massive amounts of weight to feel it. I think this is more successfull (spelling), then going to the weight room and doing 3 sets of bench and squats and leaving.

IMO
i agree with most of you on the light weight and high reps but this is the time to add some bulk and size. There will not be anymore time if it doesnt happen here during this time period.

You guys have seen most of the big 12 type college kids.
They are monsters.

We will go hard for about 18 weeks with a specific baseball weight workout.

This will call for more weight and less reps for these first 12 weeks or so. This brings me back to my original question of do any kids just take an extended amount of time off so they can hit the weghts hard and try to gain some significant strength gains..

Again we have a great fall workout with:
weightroom 3 days a week (mwf)

plyometrics and medicine ball work on tuesday and thursday

also we run sprints on tuesday and thursday and abs are done as well

Voluntary swimming 2 days a week as well in the morning..

Just a question to the experts out there...
Ctiger-

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT RELY on anyone at your school for conditioning help unless certified through a national affiliation that demands respect (American College of Sports Medicine [ACSM], or Coopers Inst.)... too many "coaches" out there preaching old workout routines... just like going to a little league game or high school game and listening to coaches tell their players to swing down and stay back, keep level shoulders during swing, squish the bug, etc...

In other words, go to someone who's primary job is working with sport-specific athletes (including by position)...

And, yes, you can play in the fall and still put on mass.... but how much mass do you want to put on?

http://www.asmi.org/
quote:
Originally posted by Diablo con Huevos:
Ctiger-

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT RELY on anyone at your school for conditioning help unless certified through a national affiliation that demands respect (American College of Sports Medicine [ACSM], or Coopers Inst.)... too many "coaches" out there preaching old workout routines... just like going to a little league game or high school game and listening to coaches tell their players to swing down and stay back, keep level shoulders during swing, squish the bug, etc...

In other words, go to someone who's primary job is working with sport-specific athletes (including by position)...

And, yes, you can play in the fall and still put on mass.... but how much mass do you want to put on?

http://www.asmi.org/

While your at it seek out a certified nutritionist. Places like velocity have these people on staff. You will learn more in 30 minutes than several years of hearsay.
I have to totally agree with Velocity being a major contributor to knowledge, and experience in off season training. My oldest son went all summer, and was described in a TCL game this summer as "less than fleet of foot" during a radio game broadcast. Yesterday he was the only player on his college team to run a "330" (straight line pole to pole) AFTER practice in 40 seconds or less. He's a catcher/1B. The only speeding my family has ever been accused of came shortly after receiving driver's licenses.

Nutrition and quickness, with core strength building, not mass, are the most important things to concentrate on. Beach muscles only help if you are a lifeguard.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.