Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Best I can tell is that the batter brings the bat straight to the ball and freezes, highlighting forearm and wrist strength through bat control. Additionally, the batter will bring bat to ball and then retract in a straight path. Again highlighting and improving bat control through forearms and wrist strength. Next, the batter will swing utilizing just his upper half, then finally a full swing with upper and lower body.
The person running the drill will also position the batter and the ball in such a way to simulate an outside pitch which should be hit oppo and an inside pitch to be pulled and locations in between.
This is a drill that my Son does regularly. Has anyone else had experience with this?
ok, we do a drill similar that was introduced to me as "Puerto Rican Pepper". What we do is mark a strike zone one a wall, net, any background..anyway, each hitter keeps hitting until a ball hits the zone. what we emphasize though is the swing, we focus on the contact point (wrists never break)and "hold the position." what we find is kids get a quantity of swings focusing on just making contact, it goes along with our two strike approach, and really boosts their confidence. they'll make games out of it...they call it "React" which is hit to location, "No Pop, No Pull" when they try to hit everything backside, then they try to see who can hit the most without missing, and put twists on that...one kids once fouled of 27 pitches before he made contact on "Two Strike." also, through so many swings so quickly, it helps emphasize and check proper rotation and connection in the swing.

we don't use it in our pepper game, but we do 45 degree hitting where we put two screens between the mound and third base/first base side pitching to the kids back hip. we hit a righty and lefty at the same time, (3rd throw to lefty, 1st to righty,) to work hitting backside. think its the same principal.

hope this helps
Last edited by turnin2
The above drill is done one on one soft tossing. Not a group or competetive activity. It is meant to promote bat control and the proper use of hands, particularly the top hand. If the drill is done incorrectly then the swing will be said to be "army". The instructer will say "your hands are quicker than that". "Let me see your hands", etc. It is all about arm and wrist strength and bat control.
OK, HittersCount, seven posts and six promote the same product. Don't you think it's time to do the right thing and talk to the boss at HSBBW about advertising legitimately?
The stuff you put up may be great but you are going to p($$ more people off here by doing things backhanded like this. Most folks here have been around the block and are not dummies.
Apologies if you are already doing this... I haven't seen it yet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.