Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes it is.

The North Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association All-Star game is sponsored by said organization.

In order for a player to be selected, he must be nominated by his coach. His coach must be a member of the NTHSBCA. There is a selection committee for the West team and the East team comprised of coaches from those areas. In most cases, a school either gets 1 or no representatives. Last year I was lucky, I had 2 from Summit get selected to play. This year I have 1 that has been selected.

The game last year was decided in the top of the 9th inning on a game winning base hit by Arlington's Mike Ritter, who was named MVP.

The kids will wear their uniforms from their school. This year the west will wear home white, east will road uniforms.

Last year the game was at Grand Prairie's Quik Trip Park and I believe it will be there again.
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
We are trying to make it bigger and better every year.

Won't happen. Your best players will report to summer teams. Wink

KG: why wouldn't the summer coaches be excited? More pub for their club.

The high school and select summer team coaches do like this. This is publicity for their select teams. One game is not going to hurt any select team. Does anyone know when they are going to release the team members?
quote:
quote:
quote:

KG: why wouldn't the summer coaches be excited? More pub for their club.

I don't know, but I knew it would get you all going.

Smile

I know I will get blasted here but.....

For selfish reasons, I like all my kids together as a unit. Individual honors are special, but it makes it tough on any coach when any player is absent from the team game, workout, or event.

In saying that, I want our kids to enjoy the HS playoff experience. So much so, I don't allow them to participate in anything we do until their respective teams are done for their season.

As for "pub for the club", I don't give a ratz azz about all that. That's for the Organizational Directors and such. I coach baseball. My job is to teach players, teach the team, promote the individual, and allow for success at the next level.

I had breakfast with the Chicago White Sox DH the other day......

I don't remember how it came up, but he said.....

"I've done a bunch of interviews in my career, and I don't remember anyone asking me what I did in High School."
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:
Originally posted by T-Ball:
Did anyone ever ask him about what he did on his summer select team either?

They didn't have summer select back where he is from. Nor were there many teams across the country.

You know, it was the old fashion way. Good ole' country hard ball and if you were good a scout would find you.

Now days, there are dog piles after every playoff series.

How many dog piles are allowed in a single season anyway?
My son played in the game back in the day, and yes, I think it was important. He not only represented his HS Team, but his town. The game was scheduled during a week night not to interfere with anything other than maybe a league game. His Select Coach at the time (DBAT) encouraged him to attend and in fact I think he even came to the game to watch his players.

You tell your son all during his playing career that he plays for the name on the front of his jersey, rather than the one on the back. When he played he represented that name on the front of his Jersey and the town where he grew up. Maybe he should have passed that up for a league game that has no meaning in the whole scheme of things....but only if he was playing for a selfish coach.
quote:
Originally posted by KellerDad:
His Select Coach at the time (DBAT) encouraged him to attend and in fact I think he even came to the game to watch his players.

We encourage our players as well depending on the event. I'm sure the event being talked about is worth while. I think I've seen close to 30 games and counting this spring supporting the players on our roster.

quote:
Maybe he should have passed that up for a league game that has no meaning in the whole scheme of things....

I think that is where we have a complete difference of opinion.

Whether it's a league game, playoff game, tournament game, or sandlot game.................

No one game is more important than the other.

Every game is treated like the other and each player that steps between the lines treats each pitch the same.
quote:
quote:

dont think it stopped anyone last year.
I think your pretty wrong on this one.

only kids i know that didnt play was 1 due to an injury and 1 more because he pitched in the state finals two days earlier.

actually a very nice event that should do well!
quote:
Originally posted by nortexbaseball:
quote:
quote:

dont think it stopped anyone last year.
I think your pretty wrong on this one.

only kids i know that didnt play was 1 due to an injury and 1 more because he pitched in the state finals two days earlier.

actually a very nice event that should do well!

GUYS...........

IT WAS SARCASM...............
quote:
Congrats to Cameron, Alex, Aaron and Tyler. I thought TC had a good game last night.

Do they serve Scotch at Air Hogg Stadium?

Thanks...he stumbles into one every once in a while. I couldn't make it or I would have found you and said hello.

If they don't serve Scotch, bball71tx will probably listen from the parking lot with his own stash.
Last edited by tychco

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.