Skip to main content

Any info to glean from these end of season varsity stats? Too many strikeouts...not enough walks...is obp\slg in line with that of what a varsity player should be...? Just looking for constructive help on how best to approach preparation for the next season.

PA AB R H 2B HR RBI BB K OBP SLG AVG
81 72 17 25 11 2 16 8 22 .407 .583 .347
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
I'll take him!
Thanks Coach! Just looking for any angle to improve. Also want to understand if the numbers are where they should be for a player who aspires to play baseball after baseball. Is strike out to walk ratio acceptable for obp+slug?..looking for approach on how to help him with his mental side more than anything..not that there arent mechanical things to also attack. :-)
Last edited by Dirty Doug Out
If the OPS is near or over 1,000...you are productive. The 11 2B are power numbers, don't just look at HR's.

College coaches and pro scouts are looking for guys that put "back spin" on the ball. You're putting back spin on the ball if you're staying inside and letting the ball travel.

As a HS coach I want him to be productive for our team. But when he's being evaluated they want to see him putting back spin on the ball...giving the ball force...giving it direction (not fighting the angle, if it's away hit it away)...giving it line drive elevation. These are the things i stress on a daily basis when we are in the cages and when we are taking BP on the field.

Of course, if you're doing those 4 things to the ball, I'm betting you'll be productive.
1) Listen to funneldrill. Smile

2) Only thing I would add is to discuss (or have a coach you trust discuss) the two strike approach. 22 K's in 81 PA's is a lot. Granted, this was a very, very good season for a 10th grader...but you asked about areas for improvement, and this one seems obvious to me. From a strictly sabermetrics point of view, cutting the strikeouts in 1/2 gives him 11 more times of putting the ball in play... say he gets just 2-3 hits out of those 11. Batting average goes up, but more importantly putting the ball in play 11 more times does the things funneldrill talks about, and that is helping the team win (moving runners, potential sac fly, reach on error, etc). Cutting the K/PA down even more will give even more opportunities to improve the stats, above and beyond the natural progression of a hard working player.

Even then, if the majority of the K's are 7+ pitch ABs, then he's working the pitcher and competing against a tough guy on the mound that day. Tough to be critical of those types of ABs. This is where the raw data you posted, while beneficial, doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, congrats on a very good season, and good luck moving forward!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.