Skip to main content

Okay ... this is not a baseball film, but is based upon the premier HS Rugby team in the country. Buy it, rent it, Netflix it, but be sure to watch it and then get back to me if you do not think this is a must see for all parents, players & coaches.

Forever Strong
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:
Okay ... this is not a baseball film, but is based upon the premier HS Rugby team in the country. Buy it, rent it, Netflix it, but be sure to watch it and then get back to me if you do not think this is a must see for all parents, players & coaches.

Forever Strong

If you have HULU.com you can watch it on there as it is available on HULU for free. I just checked.
Rudy (Football) ... The Final Season (Baseball) ... Forever Strong (Rugby) ... Sean Astin seems to have a knack for finding good roles in quality sports films that shine a light on the values that lead to success in the much bigger game of life.

Papi -- 1) Baseball, 2) Rugby ... what more do you need? Wink

I spent 10 years playing Baseball; followed by 15 years playing Rugby; coached baseball for 10 years; and just started coaching Rugby this spring. If the patern holds, I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next 14 years.
Recently I saw a prescreening of Soul Surfer, the story of Betahany Hamilton, a 14 year old surfer who last an arm in a shark attack, then went on to win the Junior Nationals surfing competition.

A Sony Studios production, it has high quality production and a a good cast including Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid, Craig T. Nelson...

Even more of a quality message.

Opens nationally April 8. Check it out.
Here you go Papi ...

1st -- You want to watch Rugby Union over Rugby League (2 different versions of the game). Rugby Union is the traditional game. Once you learn a few basics of the game, you'll find it a great sport to follow, and with the World Cup in New Zealand this year, 2011 should be a great year to be a Rugby fan. If you follow hockey, you'll have no problem with Rugby ... and will love the game.

Rugby 101 videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQyCcageGg

In the US you can watch Rugby on Fox S****R Plus (that's the bad news)and I see Direct TV has their own Rugby offering:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/...gby?footernavtype=-1

The ultimate in Rugby is the World Cup -- The top 20 international teams in the world face off for the Ellis Cup.

Next tier is the Tri Nation & 6 Nations international matches (the premier international matches of the Southern & Northern Hemispheres respctively).

The top professional leagues are the Super 14 (southern hemisphere), the Premiership and the Heinekin Cup in the Northern Hemisphere.

In many cities you will find a local Pub style restaurant that televises international matches for the Rugby fans in the area. There is nothing like a Rugby crowd.

Websites:

International Rugby Board -- www.irb.com

USA Rugby -- www.usarugby.org

2011 Rugby World Cup -- www.worldcup2011.com

I don't believe there is a HSRugbyweb.com ... but Lord knows that after all of the concussions most of us could use having Woody around to communicate with us in pictures Smile

Bonus: Check out one of the most powerful forces to ever play the game ... Jona Lomu, former New Zealand All Black and the most feared man in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXTa7UCGlk
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:

Forever Strong

Thanks for the heads up- just finished watching this movie and enjoyed it! and, now I understand a "little" of what the heck rugby is all about also.

thanks again!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.