Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

(and this is from a Phillies fan) My favorite Gary Carter memory is the 1984 all star game. Carter was stil an Expo. First, Fernando Valenzuela pitched lights out. Then, rookie Dwight Gooden relieved him. Gooden was throwing probably 99 and had that insane overhand curve. I don't think Gary Carter could believe what he was seeing. Gooden struck out the side. Carter looked at him and pumped his fist. The next season, Carter was a Met. That inning had to have something to do with it.

Ha, found it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExvI25aaZE
Last edited by AntzDad
I loved to watch Gary Carter. He just looked intimidating at the plate.

He was a bit better defensively than Ted Simmons, but if you compare career numbers it's hard to see why Carter is in and Simmons isn't? (Other than the obvious fact that Carter played in NY)

Carter hit 76 more HR's and had 3 Gold Gloves to none for Simmons.

But, Simmons, a switch-hitter, had 380 more hits, 150 more RBI's,lifetime avg 20 pts higher, OB % higher, and OPS higher.
They both played almost 20 years in the bigs, but Simmon's 162 game average RBI's was 6 more/year.

Simmons had the bad fortune of having his career intersect with both Bench's and Carter's.
Last edited by gitnby
quote:
Originally posted by gitnby:

He was a bit better defensively than Ted Simmons, but if you compare career numbers it's hard to see why Carter is in and Simmons isn't? (Other than the obvious fact that Carter played in NY)

But, Simmons, a switch-hitter, had 380 more hits, 150 more RBI's,lifetime avg 20 pts higher, OB % higher, and OPS higher.
They both played almost 20 years in the bigs, but Simmon's 162 game average RBI's was 6 more/year.

Simmons had the bad fortune of having his career intersect with both Bench's and Carter's.

I don't think it's coincidence the Brewers got better when he arrived.
quote:
Originally posted by gitnby:

Ted Simmons was a very good hitting catcher, there's no doubt about it. Mike Piazza was arguably the greatest hitting catcher ever. I'd still take Carter over Piazza and Simmons because of his defensive superiority over those two...Johnny Bench is the only catcher from the last 45 years (my life time) that I'd take over Gary Carter, JMO. Smile
Really sad. I read about his cancer fight last spring, and there was a time when it looked like he had turned it around and might have it beat, but that disease just kept comin' at him like Joe Frazier after Ali in MSG. He really put up a valiant, and dignified, fight.

My son had a hitting coach for a time that was finishing up his pro career playing indie ball in Chico playing for Gary Carter, the season just before he got sick. He always told stories that made Carter seem to be exactly the kind, enthusiastic man he always appeared to be.

RIP, Mr. Carter. You went too soon, but I am glad you don't have to deal with the pain anymore.
Rest in Peace, Gary Carter! You were good Kid! The eleven greatest catchers of all time in no particular order:

Johnny Bench, Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey, Gabby Hartnett, Josh Gibson, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, Carleton Fisk, Gary Carter, Pudge Rodriguez, Mike Piazza. I would put Thurman Munson, Jorge Posada, and Ted Simmons just barely below these eleven. Maybe Elston Howard and a few of the real oldtimers just below those three. This was off the top of my head so I may be forgetting someone.
Last edited by Three Bagger
RIP Gary.

As a Phillies fan I always strongly disliked him. He seemed cocky, brash and arrogant. He was tough as nails too. Just the type of player I love when they play for the Phils. Kinda like Pete Rose. Hated him as a Red but loved him after he came to Philly.

He was one h ell of a catcher though and he earned his place in baseball history.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.