Skip to main content

Offseason Rules Study Released on MyReferee: October 2008

By Matt Moore
Referee Associate Editor

Except for one more fall college baseball game coming up, my season is officially over. My gear will be cleaned up and put away and probably won’t see the light of day until February.

But that doesn’t mean that my “work” as an umpire is done. In fact, it probably won’t stop. And even if you are still working “fall ball” or have put the gear away, your work shouldn’t stop either.

This time of year is the perfect time to learn the rules. Notice, I didn’t say read, but intentionally used a much stronger verb.

When the season is going and you are constantly on the go from games to family to job to more games, there is not enough time to delve into deep rules study. But that time is available now. Now is the time when you can not only read the rulebook, but also the casebook and other resources to assist your understanding.

Think about plays that you have had, have seen on TV or heard about happening to other umpires. Sure, you know the rule and you got the play right, but what about explaining why the rule is that way or why you are sure you got it right. This is the time of year for that to happen.

You know that when a fielder crashes into a wall and subsequently drops the ball that he has not made a catch, but can you find it in the rulebook? Can you explain it the correct way when a coach disputes your ruling next season? That’s what this time of year can be used for.

When you find things you don’t quite understand, pick up the phone and call someone you trust to hash out the rule. You might find that you bring more knowledge than you realize and earn the respect of that other person. Next time, they might come to you.

So just because the baseball season is over, don’t put away everything. The mask, guards and plate shoes can be cleaned up and put away. But keep the rulebooks handy. They are good all year round.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Michael hits it on the head............Having already attended executive committee meetings of my summer ball chapter this week, I am curently working on my powerpoint presentations for next season. Planning for our spring clinic is underway, as is my schedule for clinincs to attend as a participant rather than as an instructor.

Off season?........havent had one of them in years....

Good point though POLO....Like some players, there are some umpires who throw down the gear and dont think twice about it until next year....
quote:
Good point though POLO....Like some players, there are some umpires who throw down the gear and dont think twice about it until next year....

These are the guys that will remain middle of the pack guys at best. Others will be destined to repeat their first year over and over.
As an instructor I've never had anybody that couldn't learn. I have had my share guys that won't learn.
quote:
Originally posted by coach2709:
quote:
As an instructor I've never had anybody that couldn't learn. I have had my share guys that won't learn.

You just nailed the whole teaching profession with this comment.

I do a lot of teaching daily but there sometimes isn't a lot of learning going on.

That's a sad commentary on both the learning and the teaching.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.