Skip to main content

KellyAnn posted:

Disagree. If you are a very solid player/contributor on your HS varsity team, coaches in area will come out to see you if they can travel easily from within a couple of hours away...they do it all the time.  Communication between player and college coach and travel team/HS coach with college coach is key...especially with well respected summer/fall program.  Two of the schools that were tops in early recruiting process with my son came out to see his high school games on multiple occasions.  

I would say this likely varies by state.  Son has had at least one D1 commit each of his three years on varsity   I have never seen a college coach at our games because they play Tuesday and Friday nights just like the colleges   No opportunity 

Good point BACTSTOPDAD32 .  A majority of high schools in our area (northeast) don't have lights and games are played early.  The good programs in our area (Columbia, Fordham, Fairfield, etc...all within an hours drive) are pretty good about getting out to a lot of the games in area to see guys they are following or have heard about.

I have some perspective on coaches coming to watch HS games in the Spring. I have never seen a D1 coach at a HS game in our area (Seattle). But I have seen coaches from the most competitive JuCos in the state attend HS games regularly (as well as the area pro scouts). And I know for a fact that the JuCo guys, 4-year guys, AND area pro scouts here communicate readily and always share information. So while the 4-year college recruiters might not have been coming to my son's HS games, he was "being seen" playing in them, by folks with great eyes, and that was indeed part of his recruiting process.

As for videos, every coach that showed real interest in my son asked for clips. Another coach at a school that followed son closely became interested after seeing video. But in all cases, that seemed to be little more than a launching point leading to "what's your summer/Fall schedule" or "can you make it to X camp where I will be working." Recruitment followed from there.

Agree that D1 coaches do come during spring HS baseball - saw it. Travel for a coach plays a factor and sometimes school (college) may be done with its season. Those that I saw (or read about in attendance) were mainly from private schools. Big State U's would come for likely draft picks. Tougher to starting Pitchers (make sure they are scheduled).

In my experience, a college coach coming to a high school game has more to do with logistics, convenience and population densities than anything else.  They are there to see a specific player but it is never limited to just one player.   Coaches want to see as many prospects as possible based on their available time.   This is why going to PG WWBA is like shooting fish in a barrel to a college coach.  

Typically if they are going to a high school game they've seen the specific player somewhere else or heard about him and they have other business in the area (code word for more recruits).  Over the last 10 years, I've seen a number of college coaches and scouts at high school games and they are always watching more than one player and they always have plans to go to another game in the area.  In some other cases, I've seen some coaches check-in on some of their committed recruits that also are considering the MLB draft.  Afterall, baseball is a business whether it is college or professional.

As always, JMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.