Skip to main content

I thought the link below might be of interest to some folks here who have potential high academic D3 players living under their roofs. 

After Soylent Green mentioned in the "nicest college yards" thread that Grinnell College in Iowa had very nice facilities, I checked out their site.  Looks like they've been very successful, especially for such a small school.

The baseball coach has posted profiles of his his class of 2018 players, and it's interesting in that it gives you a real look at the type of credentials you need to be recruited at that school.  Looks like a solid group, both academically and athletically.  Could be a reality check for some of us, and/or an idea of what kinds of goals to set in HS if you want to attend and play at this type of school.

http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/d...s_of_2014.pdf?id=345

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I enjoyed readying that, and I'm glad that the coach put together academic achievements as well as baseball achievements. 

Those should be goals a kid sets regardless of what kind of school for which he would like to play a sport.  I remind my son frequently that he is one injury away from being a student only, not to mention that most kids will earn a living with their brain and work ethic, not a ball.  

I agree, and those look like a bunch of very highly qualified students. However, some of the CV's are a bit indicative of the kind of crazy over-commitment  that students feel they have to engage in if they're going get into highly competitive colleges where all the applicants have great test scores and GPA's.   

Very cool link and definitely great insight into the quality of player that this sort of program is able to attract. As mentioned in another thread, son and I stopped in Grinnell, Iowa this Summer to take a look around and see which way the wind blows. We didn't schedule a tour or attend an informational session there as it's not a short list target for son at this point (JCG - as with your older boy, it's a tough sell for a Texas kid too).  But we were driving near it so stopped in and walked the campus.  Walking out to the field, we found a single player packing up after working out.. running the slope behind their field.  Not surprisingly, this dedicated young man turned out to be an incoming team captain. He gave us an impromptu tour of the indoor workout facility and discussed the program very openly.  He was from the East coast and mentioned that prior to being recruited by Coach Hollibaugh, he had never heard of Grinnell.  He was very positive as to the school, the coaches, the program, and regarding his own situation and experience... Positive, but very real and not "canned". The work out facilities are new And first rate, a huge building where the team is able to hold full infield practices... Much needed in Iowa of course. A slide show of this building, a gift of an alumnus, is here:

http://www.grinnell.edu/about/...-and-athletic-center

Anyway, we were glad we saw the school. Like most kids, son has his sights set on a D1 opportunity. But academic quality of the school is paramount, and there are obviously very strong D3 options to be found. Incidentally, JCG is correct; the school enjoys a massive endowment... and that makes a big difference across the board for any institution.

Including all of the above as a snapshot for anyone searching Grinnell College in the future.

I am glad that  JCG and Soylent Green gave a  nice update on Grinnell College besides me  . I remember talking to Fenway when my son was still in the recruiting trail about Grinnell. It seemed like yesterday but time sure flies fast. 2016 Son is very  happy with his decision to attend Grinnell College to play for Coach H and the Pioneers.  If I can be of any assistance about Grinnell College and the baseball program, Just PM me.

@ Soylent, That young man you met was likely Sammy T, The reigning MWC South Division Pitcher of the Year.

@Chefmike7777, Agree with the Basketball equation. Another record breaker this year you think?

Last edited by Ryanrod23

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.