Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Bolts-Coach-PR:
The forum is pulling for a speedy recovery; always like your contributions, Bolts. Nice start for your son and good that you could "see it" on Gamechanger and then again on video. Definitely a special moment during a scary time for you. In addition to the homer I liked your video because it showed me that not all baseball fields are covered in snow. Take Care.

Today is also the day for my son! They been allowed to have limited pitcher/catcher workouts over the last two weeks, but tryouts officially start today. Unlike most of the rest of the country, the weather out here on the West Coast has been unseasonably warm and dry for the last month. This week's forecast has no rain (other than brief showers this morning that are already over) with sun and highs in the sixties. Should make for a good environment to kick off the season. Good luck to everyone just getting started!

Just to let you all know I had a heart attack Thursday night around 2:30am - without prior warnings - and it was very scary and I'm very lucky to be talking to you all now. I had 100% blockage in the 'widow-maker' artery and they put in a stint, I'm feeling great now and I'm VERY thankful...

My son and his mom drove about 45 mins and saw me around 4:30 and were with me until 6am... He then went to school after leaving me, and had an away game at 4pm... I watched the game on GameChanger from the hospital and he hit a Grand-Slam.... it made my day!

http://youtu.be/WXbNfQnSNlc

Coach, I am so glad you are on the road to recovery. I have had 2 heart attacks. First one was a surprise and genetics plus lots of bad habits in the lack of exercise and ball park food department.

2nd one was completely my fault. Was not faithful in my medication, exercise and nutrition regiment and it nearly cost me my life. I know you want back out there and I hope you are very soon but take care of yourself. Baseball is a passion of all of us here but I bet you wife and kids would rather have husband and dad that a baseball coach. So from someone who had to learn the hard way take care of all the other stuff doctors say. (BTW- 4 years since my last one and I am doing great- follow what I need to do and am healthier now than I was when I was 30 - I'm 53),

HS tryouts begin today in Washington State. Son's team won state last year and sent 4 boys to D1 baseball. They will be very competitive in Conference and District this year. Son (2016) will play MIF, CF, and pitch. Presently, the varsity team includes two boys who signed DI LOIs with PAC12 schools, including a SS that could be a draft pick (rd 5-10?)

Another day at the office I guess...

Son came in for the final inning - even though the team was down 3.

Got the first batter to pop up on one pitch. Second batter should have been 5-3 but the throw was high. Next batter should have ended the inning on a 3-6 double play, but for some reason F6 didn't cover the bag after F3 had snagged a grounder a foot off first base,  Struck out the next batter, so no harm done. Out of the inning on 9 pitches.

I would like to see him get more innings, but I guess you just have to perform when you get your opportunity.  Four innings this year, only batter to reach base was on an error - and he's only gone to one 3 ball count.

As a funny coincidence, my youngest (9yo) came in as the "closer" in his rec game a couple hours later. He got a popup, a grounder and a strikeout - and was out of the inning on 9 pitches. 

Wow that's awesome..What HS is this..

Originally Posted by tres_arboles:

HS tryouts begin today in Washington State. Son's team won state last year and sent 4 boys to D1 baseball. They will be very competitive in Conference and District this year. Son (2016) will play MIF, CF, and pitch. Presently, the varsity team includes two boys who signed DI LOIs with PAC12 schools, including a SS that could be a draft pick (rd 5-10?)

Originally Posted by mik:
Wow that's awesome..What HS is this..

Originally Posted by tres_arboles:

sent you a PM. Thanks for asking!

Just to let you all know I had a heart attack Thursday night around 2:30am - without prior warnings - and it was very scary and I'm very lucky to be talking to you all now. I had 100% blockage in the 'widow-maker' artery and they put in a stint, I'm feeling great now and I'm VERY thankful...

My son and his mom drove about 45 mins and saw me around 4:30 and were with me until 6am... He then went to school after leaving me, and had an away game at 4pm... I watched the game on GameChanger from the hospital and he hit a Grand-Slam.... it made my day!

http://youtu.be/WXbNfQnSNlc

Bolts-Coach-PR....I had made a heart-attack joke reference on my post in the college thread earlier tonight, and then I read your post here.  I'm glad you're doing better and I know it had to be quite scary for you and your family.

There's no doubt that your son was thinking about you when he hit the Grand-Slam, how cool that had to be!  I don't know if you remember the scene in the movie, Major League, when the manager of the team was hospitalized (I believe following a heart attack) and was listening to the Indians game on the radio (without the nurses/doctors permission) and cheering from his hospital bed...that's what I imagine that you were doing while following GameChanger!  Godspeed, and best to you during your recovery!

Finally returning to the forum after the long winter...2017's tryouts started this past Monday and he's already been slotted on JV.  Division 1 school in Michigan.

Unfortunately, he had to miss the rest of tryouts/practice because somehow the State Swim finals (he qualified in 4 events) overlap the start of baseball by a week but after some consternation he figured out (so far) how to keep both coaches happy.  Tough way to be when you have no control of most of the situation but he handled it very well.

He really wanted to get a nod to V, but getting playing time and hopefully innings on the bump on JV will put him farther ahead for next years important season.  

Good reading most of the above, helps to keep it all in perspective from missed goals (JV vs. V), senior season melancholy, and even a heart attack...this game is awesome and I just keep praying 2017 can keep playing as long as his heart/mind/soul allow.

Good luck to all your kids on the season!

It's been an experience already. First time 2018 really had to tryout for anything. My wife said he was nervous. Coming from him that's pretty funny. When it comes to baseball he's like a fish in water. Well, he made varsity. So I'm driving to work today thinking to myself he is going to be around a bunch of juniors and seniors. I can only imagine what that's going to be like he's halfway through his freshman year and he's already had more girlfriends than I've had in my life. Granted I married my only girlfriend . Hopefully he gets some playing time . I told him he cleared the first hurdle . Now the real test begins. He just looked at me like duh. Gotta love teenagers.

A little background here. My 2016 LHP/OF has been cut twice from his high school team. He continued to play summer ball and got some college coaches very interested in him.

Worked all fall snd winter with local sports performance group as part of his summer team and has been throwing at least 3 days a week - weighted ball and long toss. Also hit all the "optional" hs workouts.

So here in Indiana bb tryouts started yesterday. Players told cuts after day 1 and final cuts after day 2. The team manager is a friend of my son. He was picking up while the coaches starting comparing notes amd overheard the hitting coach say to the head coach "how the hell didn't (my son) make the team last year." At which time the pitching coach concurred.

Well son went to the coach first thing this morning and before he could say a word the coach said, see you tonight at 6. Relieved but still need to perform today! Keep in you thoughts.

JBoss - awesome!  Congrats (early) to your son for the payoff of perseverance and hard work!  Please don't be afraid to cut-and-paste your post and add it in whenever we get the "cut from HS team" threads.  Very valuable message - hard work, right help, if you want it bad enough, no quit.  You both should be very proud.

Sorry, maybe getting ahead a bit but sure sounds promising.  Best wishes for sealing the deal and having a great season!

Last edited by cabbagedad
Well 2016 LHP/OF did it. The third try was his lucky one! Never played JV but made the varsity for the upcoming season.

Coach said he was impressed with his work ethic and perseverance. He never quit working ir trying. Told him he'll be a reliever to start the season.

Best advice I gave him for try outs was: Do your best, I'm proud of you, and I love you. Seems to have worked.
Originally Posted by JBoss:
Well 2016 LHP/OF did it. The third try was his lucky one! Never played JV but made the varsity for the upcoming season.

Coach said he was impressed with his work ethic and perseverance. He never quit working ir trying. Told him he'll be a reliever to start the season.

Best advice I gave him for try outs was: Do your best, I'm proud of you, and I love you. Seems to have worked.

A lot of kids can take reassurance from this post. Sounds like he persevered. 'Grats to the young man!

Had our parent meeting last might, head coach congratulated me for my son's accomplisments. Neat thing the director of baseball ops (yes we have one to soliciting funding for the program) made a bee line to my son after the meeting. He told him how much he impressed the the coaches with his hustle and willingness to give up his body to make a play. Said all the coaches were so impressed. Found out he was a unanimous choice. First game in 3 weeks. 

I  am going to add all of this to the "got cut" thread.

My boy (2016) played his first varsity game last Wednesday night on a nice local college field and made the most of it. Two-out, two-strike triple with the bases loaded in the 6th completed a come-from-behind win. Son's team beat a very serious contender for the 4A state championship on their way to defending their own state 3A championship. Gravy: the area's paper of record covered the game with a reporter and photog and son got the headline and a three column photo of the swing.  

Sounds like lots of the kiddos are starting off their seasons strong, great job!  I hope all of our ball players have great seasons and fingers crossed for no injuries!  

Our first game is in 8 days, 3 hours and 25 minutes...not that I'm counting down.  The field has been cleaned and no snow remains...hoping we don't get that last blast of flurries that like to show up around this time.  

Originally Posted by BaseballChauffeur:

Sounds like lots of the kiddos are starting off their seasons strong, great job!  I hope all of our ball players have great seasons and fingers crossed for no injuries!  

It’s always nice to hear about kids doing well, but I tend to look at it a bit differently. For every good story like the above, there’s a sad one you don’t hear about. A good example would be that we wouldn’t likely hear the story from the dad of the pitcher who allowed the triple, or if the boy had taken a called 3rd strike to destroy the rally, I doubt tres-arboles would have told about the picture in the paper of his boy caught looking.

That’s just the way we parents are built, and that’s ok. But it never hurts to keep in mind that there are 2 sides to every story.

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

It’s always nice to hear about kids doing well, but I tend to look at it a bit differently. For every good story like the above, there’s a sad one you don’t hear about. A good example would be that we wouldn’t likely hear the story from the dad of the pitcher who allowed the triple, or if the boy had taken a called 3rd strike to destroy the rally, I doubt tres-arboles would have told about the picture in the paper of his boy caught looking.

That’s just the way we parents are built, and that’s ok. But it never hurts to keep in mind that there are 2 sides to every story.

Huh?  How is congratulating the success stories so far not seeing "2 sides to every story"? I think everyone on this sight has been thru it all with our kids...we celebrate the victories with them, we pick them up after a defeat, we listen when they need to vent and offer advice when asked or necessary.  This relates to all aspects of their lives, not just baseball.  They need make mistakes in order to learn....it makes the victories/successes that much more enjoyable!  

Catcherdad, hopefully you get to enjoy the scrimmage today.  Time to get those layers on (and hand warmers, don't forget the hand warmers ).

"...or if the boy had taken a called 3rd strike to destroy the rally, I doubt tres-arboles would have told about the picture in the paper of his boy caught looking."

Apologies if we're not supposed to report the good. I saw others doing so and was just following their lead.  

Personally I prefer to hear from those whose kids are breaking through, especially when it's early in their first varsity year and their team is playing great competition.

FWIW, the pitcher who gave up the triple is the coaches son, and had a screaming home run (in a fairly large college park) in his first AB. So maybe there's three sides to every story.

http://screen.yahoo.com/debbie...earth-000000872.html

http://screen.yahoo.com/debbie...earth-000000872.html

You got that right.  What a troll!

2018 son just got told he is moving to Varsity. Varsity team had a tough time at an out-of-state tournament. Lost all their games and two players in the process (one quit and one was asked to leave). One of the players was a pitcher/1st and the other was DH/1st base. Outfielders also had a hard time during the tournament, which left a big question mark for left field. Coach came back this week and told all players that he didn't care what their age was (rule starting the season was that all Freshman were only playing on the Freshman team), he was looking to fill his roster. Held a scrimmage tryout yesterday and son got the news today. He is moving up to play 1st/outfield, but will play a few games at Frosh 1st base since he hasn't played that position all spring and needs to freshen up his skills. Tough way to get his shot, but hopefully he'll make the best of it. FWIW, older sister is friends with most of the upper classmen on the team, so son has been around them and their more "mature" conversations for a while. Played with all these kids during summer and fall ball last year and already fits in with the team. So excited for his opportunity, but also pretty nervous.  

Thanks for all the nice wishes, I appreciate it very much!!!

Since there's been some interest here are some recent highlights:

2/27/15 - Junior (2016) Outfielder, John Radetsky, crushes a GRAND -SLAM, HOME-RUN over the Right-Field Wall against the University. The Rams beat the Titans, 10-3 in this FHSAA Spring 8A District-2 showdown.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...27-story.html#page=1

3/6/15 - Junior (2016) Outfielder, John Radetsky, goes 1-for-3 and plates 3-RBI's in this FHSAA Spring 8A District-2 showdown. The Rams beat Seminole, 5-1.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...07-story.html#page=2

3/10/15 - Junior (2016) Outfielder, John Radetsky, goes 1-for-3 in this FHSAA Spring 8A District-2 showdown. The Bulldogs beat Lake Mary, 6-1.

3/12/15 - Junior (2016) Outfielder, John Radetsky, goes 1-for-3 with an RBI off of UCF-Committed (2016) LHP Travis Hosterman in this tightly-contested FHSAA Spring 8A District-2 showdown. The Rams went on to beat the Huskies, 3-0.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...12-story.html#page=1

3/16/15 - Naples Barron Collier 7, Lake Mary 6
Buzz: John Radetsky went 3-for-5 with a double and an RBI, and Bretty Brubaker was 3-for-4 with an RBI for Lake Mary (8-4).
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...16-story.html#page=1

3/25/15 - Lake Mary 6, Seminole 2
Buzz: Brendan Rodgers and John Radetsky were each 2-for-3, and Brett Brubaker was 2-for-2 and pitched 6 innings with 5 strikeouts for Lake Mary (12-5). Alex Diemer was 1-for-3 for Seminole (6-10).
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...25-story.html#page=1

3/31/15 - Lake Mary 10, Lyman 2
Buzz: John Radetsky was 3-for-5 with a home run, a double, and 3 RBIs, and Stephen O'Connor pitched a complete game with 2 strikeouts for Lake Mary (14-5). Sam Johnson was 2-for-3 for Lyman.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com...31-story.html#page=2

Bolts those are some eye popping results so far. Hope you are feeling better.

Being young I knew my son's team would struggle to start. They did but look out now but the boys start district play 6-0. 

Won tonight 2-1. Son pitched complete game.  First and third one out in Bot 7th.  Picks off guy on 3rd as they try to squeeze.  Strikes out the final guy on his personal best velo by 2 mph.  He was jacked up for sure.

Thought this team might break the school's streak of making the playoffs but this group likes each other and are clearly enjoying playing for each other.  Two game lead with halfway down.

Saw a really interesting game yesterday:  Team 1 - large school, large team, 6 D1 commits. Their 6' 5" #1 D1-commit RHP on the hill sitting at (guessing here) 90+.  Team 2, smaller kids, smaller school, their 5' 5" LHP closer getting the first start of his HS career. Team 1's kid was in total command through the first 5 innings with only 50 pitches thrown. Only two hits and a couple other balls hit hard against him.  Team 2's kid was also dealing, gave up more hits but no runs. Interestingly, though they had guys on base often, team 1 never bunted.  They seemed to be waiting for the big knock.

Top of 6, #7 batter on team 2 squares up a solid single, and from there they started playing small ball, and a snowball fight ensued.  F1 and F3 both had 2 errors in the inning. Pitcher from team 2 put the cherry on a 7 run inning with a single that scored two.

Team 2 wins 7-1.   I guess the lesson is that even if you don't believe in playing small ball on offense, you better practice defending it.

Last edited by JCG

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.